Why are the smallest Dslr's "entry level" ?

Old March 18th 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Smith[_3_]

Default Why are the smallest Dslr's "entry level" ?

"ASAAR" wrote in message
On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 20:03:53 -0400, John Smith wrote:

But I noticed you didn't mention the quality of the final image quality
in
your list. I certainly hope there's not that much difference as I'm going
order D40 tomorrow, but if there is, if the sensors are basically the
same
size, and assuming the support electronics are, I don't see why they
can't
cram these (I assume) superior devices into the smaller bodies...

Most DSLRs use sensors of approximately the same size (APS-C
sensors). These are somewhat smaller than the FF (Full Frame)
sensors used in a few of Canon's more expensive DSLRs, but they're
also *much* larger than the sensors used in P&S cameras. Canon also
has a few models that use sensors about midway in size between the
APS-C and the FF sensors. The D40 doesn't cram as many pixels into
its sensor as some other DSLRs do, but that has advantages, as the
pixels will be physically larger, which makes for a lower noise,
high ISO sensor. That's an advantage for street shooters that might
do a lot of their shooting at night when there's less light
available. If you haven't already, check dpreview's full review of
the D40. Among its conclusions a

Excellent image quality, great resolution and detail,

Surprisingly good build quality,

Great in-use performance, very responsive,

Good fast auto focus system

Nikon have also obviously worked to ensure that no corners were
cut in image processing,

If you have doubts about the D40's image quality, download and
examine some of the full size sample images at these pages:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40/page26.asp

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...0_samples.html

I already checked them out... put in an order for one this morning. I just
wish someone would do a direct comparison between low end and high end
cameras image-wise though..

DP.

Old March 18th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
dj_nme

John Smith wrote:
"dj_nme" wrote

I've wondered why there are scene modes at all.
The top command dial should have something more useful (such as metering
modes) rather than "scenes".
On the other hand, all the settings could be displayed in the viewfinder
and adjusted via thumb wheels (except for manual focus and zooming, I
suppose).
The ISO, aperture, shutter speed, metering mode, focus mode and white
balance display indicators could be aranged around the whole edge of the
viewfinder (not just the side or lower edge, as most do now with only
shutter/aperture settings and maybe a 'needs flash" warning).
Done this way, there would be little reason to remove your eye from the
viewfinder when using the camera, except for reviewing the captured images
or changing a battery or memory card.
This could be done to make the body even smaller, but the outside would
look rather "empty", with no dials or LCD panels on the top deck.

I agree. I don't know exactly what need those "scene modes" serve.

DP

I was thinking about this and realised that a top-deck mounted LCD panel
could show the same info as the viewfinder readouts, so that you could
check that the settings (such as ISO, WB and shutter speed) were correct
before raising the camera to your eye.
Old March 18th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Adsense-Support

http://en.mediaopedia.org/2006_11_21_history.html - Monday High Noon
brokers Billionaire showdown eliminates Captain Kirk and takes out the
Fed Right out of the picture signalling a solution to lack of a 10-k
filing. Fact is we are broke..... Bankruptcy is in the near future for
google with all the impending lawsuits and lack of " Real "
advertisers. As the fed signals disgust with google time to jump
ship. Either way I am telling you how it is, why would you want to
invest in a company that is un-profitable? Every Jew Alive knows if
you give a dollar and make more its blessed thou are and righteous in
what your doing. I am not picking faiths here I just want a jew to do
my happy dance.

Why do I hate google? Hate is a strong word, I don't hate google, I
had many trys at trying to make google profitable and I failed every
attempt. Lack of real advertisers, honest people working for them and
a honest click calculating system.

Finally the truth is out there........

Now google can't.... shelter money, time to sink or swim, float like a
butterfly and sting like a bee, be a pig about what you take the time
to help strength what yahoo and msn are doing. Amazon isn't going to
carry the bills google is fronting baby ,,, get out while you can
baby, comcast did it, you can too.

Old March 19th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 10:35:53 -0400, John Smith wrote:

I already checked them out... put in an order for one this morning. I just
wish someone would do a direct comparison between low end and high end
cameras image-wise though..

You can do your own direct comparisons if the cameras received a
full review by dpreview. They'll have test shots of the same or
very similar objects over a range of ISOs as well as resolution
tests. You can get a pretty good idea just by viewing the review's
enlarged crops, but for the best comparison, just download the
complete, multimegabyte images. When I got my third digicam a
couple of years ago (the 4mp Fuji S5100) I knew it was no match for
Canon's G6 image wise, after comparing test images, but it was more
than good enough for my purposes. In this case the images I
compared were downloaded from Steves-digicams.com, the one of the
large red brick building. It provides a pretty good test but it's
not perfect, since the results will vary depending on the season
that the shot was taken in (sometimes there's more, sometimes less
green foliage), the weather, the time of day, and what loses Steve
some points is the position of the camera. The shots taken by
different cameras are more or less from the same general area, but
perspective differences between shots are pretty obvious. The D40
test images include one of that building. It would be better,
though, to download the D50 images of the building, because instead
of just the single full resolution jpg used for the D40, the D50
also included a jpg created by processing a raw image. This will
give you a very good idea of what kind of improved images you can
get by shooting raw files with the D40, since the sensors of both
cameras are practically the same. BTW, I checked today with B&H and
they finally have no more new D50 bodies. I'll probably find one,
but it won't be the overpriced used D50 body they're selling. I
thought I'd pick up an SB-600 or the 50mm f/1.4 as a consolation
purchase, but both of those were also out of stock. Gotta remember
to avoid showing up late Sunday afternoon.