Teleconverter for S1-IS

Old July 30th 04, 09:26 AM
Arne Pettersson

Default Teleconverter for S1-IS

Hi.

I posted this earlier, without getting an answer to my question.

I have the Canon Powershot S1-IS and is looking for a teleconverter that is
compatible with that camera.
Canons own teleconverter is to "week", and I am interested in a converter
with at least 2.2x mag.

It is my understanding that the Raynox DCR-2020 PRO would work with the
S1-IS.
Does anyone have any experience with this combination?

Is there another teleconverter (with maby 3x mag) that would fit the S1-IS,
that anyone has tried?

Best regards.

Arne Pettersson

Old July 30th 04, 11:13 AM
Gareth Tuckwell

I don't know if a teleconverter exists for this camera, but I can tell you
that you will loose quite a bit of speed from your lens with such a big
teleconverter.

I think I am right in saying, the Canon 1.4x teleconvers (for EOS) reduces
the lens speed by 1 f-stop and the 2x converter reduces the lens by 2
f-stops at the same zoom. So I think my 300mm f6.3 lens becomes f8 at
2x300mm (600mm), which makes is pretty hard to use!

So even if you do find one, you are going to need a really sunny day and
some fast film to be able to use it.

Old July 30th 04, 05:25 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:15:31 GMT, "Gareth Tuckwell"
wrote:

Oh and your autofocus might struggle!

And the pictures will not be sharp. Canon has good reasons not
to offer any stronger teleconverter.

I predict that he either will not find a stronger teleconverter
or, if he finds one, he will not be happy with the results. At
the very least they will not contain more information than
pictures taken with Canon's teleconverter.

Would you agree?

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Old July 30th 04, 06:26 PM
DHB

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 08:26:34 GMT, "Arne Pettersson"
wrote:

Hi.

I posted this earlier, without getting an answer to my question.

I have the Canon Powershot S1-IS and is looking for a teleconverter that is
compatible with that camera.
Canons own teleconverter is to "week", and I am interested in a converter
with at least 2.2x mag.

It is my understanding that the Raynox DCR-2020 PRO would work with the
S1-IS.
Does anyone have any experience with this combination?

Is there another teleconverter (with maby 3x mag) that would fit the S1-IS,
that anyone has tried?

Best regards.

Arne Pettersson

As you have already been correctly advised, adding a strong
teleconverter to any lens is a trade off. The Canon S1 IS has a
rather small 1/2.7" 3.2MP CCD which allows them to keep the cost of
this camera fairly low with a 10x 38-380mm (35mm equiv.) lens. I have
a Canon A70 which has the same CCD sensor & I have used Canon's 2.4X
teleconverter lens on it & was pleased with the results. However, the
A70 at max zoom is only 105mm (35mm equiv.) or in this case 105mm X
2.4 = 252mm / 50mm = 5X effective magnification.

The Canon S1 IS already has a powerful lens that yields an
effective magnification of 7.6X (380mm / 50mm). Adding a 2.2X
teleconverter to that & you end up with an effective 16.7X (836mm /
50mm) power lens. Even the IS function is likely to have a hard time
with that, so a tripod & very good lighting are likely to become
necessary.

Any imperfection(s) in either the prime lens or the 2.2X
teleconverter will be greatly magnified as well in addition to the
loss of light transmission & the reduction in contrast. Your prime
lens has a native effective magnification of 7.6X, where as my A70's
native effective magnification is only 2.1X without a teleconverter.
Your prime lens is 3.6X more powerful than mine already & with my 2.4X
teleconverter I noticed a drop in contrast as well as some other
fairly minor optical imperfections but nothing I could not live with.
Multiply these effects by a factor of 3.6X & I would not be using the
teleconverter at all unless it was the only way to get a certain shot
& I was willing to do considerable post editing to it in the hopes of
getting a reasonably good quality picture out of it.

Teleconverters have their place & you may be pleased with the
results of this combination but it's going to depend a lot on what
"your" needs & expectations are. Good luck & if you do add a
teleconverter to your Canon S1 IS, please let us all know how it
turned out for you. This camera seems like a very good general
purpose camera, my only wish would have been that they had used the
4MP 1/1.8" sensor which would have gone a long way in reducing noise
but also would likely have resulted in a much more expensive & larger
camera.

Can't have everything, but we can dream & hope!

Respectfully, DHB