Popphoto rant

Old January 17th 05, 09:45 PM

In message ,
Bob Salomon wrote:

Using the tele converter on the 70 to 200 with the 1.6x factor the lens
is equal to a 224-640mm so the slowest hand held speed becomes 1/640th
so yes the editors are right.

No; unless the editors said that the same lens with the same TC will
require a faster shutter speed with the 1.6x crop, which is not what the
OP implied. The OP implied that the editors said that putting a 2x
converter on a digital will require more of a shutter speed adjustment
than with full-frame film (less than half the exposure time).

It's one of those things that doesn't need to be said, and only is said
because someone was looking at it the wrong way.
--

John P Sheehy

Old January 17th 05, 10:14 PM
MarkČ

wrote in message
In message ,
"BobS" wrote:

With a 1.6 "crop factor" a typical 70-200mm lens becomes a 112-320mm. Now
add your 2x teleconverter and you have 224-640mm lens. Now add the f stop
loss due to the teleconverter and the slower speed you'll be shooting

at -
plus manual focus at the extreme end and camera shake is a real concern.

Perhaps, but the increased need in relative shutter speed is not any
greater for a 1.6x crop camera than a full frame, when using the TC, so
the article makes an incorrect assertion, if the OP is paraphrasing it
correctly.

It is different to the extent that eventual enlargement (prints) will be a
greater ratio of enlargement compared with full-size sensor shots, and will
therefore reveal more evidence of movement.

Old January 17th 05, 11:13 PM

In message fNWGd.1647$Nu.781@fed1read04,
"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
In message ,
"BobS" wrote:

With a 1.6 "crop factor" a typical 70-200mm lens becomes a 112-320mm. Now
add your 2x teleconverter and you have 224-640mm lens. Now add the f stop
loss due to the teleconverter and the slower speed you'll be shooting
at -
plus manual focus at the extreme end and camera shake is a real concern.

Perhaps, but the increased need in relative shutter speed is not any
greater for a 1.6x crop camera than a full frame, when using the TC, so
the article makes an incorrect assertion, if the OP is paraphrasing it
correctly.

It is different to the extent that eventual enlargement (prints) will be a
greater ratio of enlargement compared with full-size sensor shots, and will
therefore reveal more evidence of movement.

That is an obvious "given". What the paraphrase of the article implies
is that you have to compensate more when you take your lens off of a
DSLR with a crop factor, and stick a converter in-between, which is
nonsense. You double the denominator for a 2x TC, regardless of the
crop or lack thereof. It is a typical magazine profundity created by an
illusory starting point (you weren't using the proper shutter speed
before you attached the converter).
--

John P Sheehy

Old January 17th 05, 11:13 PM
ZONED!

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 22:20:57 +0100, "sid derra"
wrote:

"Siddhartha Jain" wrote in message
roups.com...
Just started my Popular Photography subscription. The magazine's plain
lousy. Its full of advertisments and the articles aren't worth
anything. No indepth testing reports or insightful articles!! dpreview
does a more thorough job anyday.

Very disappointed!!

did you not check out the mag before you subscribet to it?

Excellent question if you had not asked, I was ready to.

i got a 3 yr
subscription for 10.49 off ebay and am totally happy with it. keeps me
updated at least - and i think i have an own opinion to a point where i can
disagree with parts of the zine w/o freaking out.

sid

Old January 18th 05, 12:39 AM
Tony

Just remember your subscription will never run out either. I subscribed
for a year back in the 90s and am still getting the magazine.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"Siddhartha Jain" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just started my Popular Photography subscription. The magazine's plain
lousy. Its full of advertisments and the articles aren't worth
anything. No indepth testing reports or insightful articles!! dpreview
does a more thorough job anyday.

Very disappointed!!

Infact, one of the articles about teleconverters didn't look right to
me. The "Editors" opine that on a dSLR (as compared to a film SLR) the
teleconverter will magnify any shake or blur. I don't understand how
can the affect of shake be more magnified on a dSLR than on a 35mm
full-frame film camera? The 1.6x crop factor affects the angle of view
and not the magnification. Right? So the affect of camera shake should
be the same given that you blow up a sub-35mm dSLR and 35mm film shot
in the same proportion. Right?

- Siddhartha

Old January 18th 05, 02:04 AM
MarkČ

wrote in message
In message fNWGd.1647$Nu.781@fed1read04,
"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
In message ,
"BobS" wrote:

[...]

That is an obvious "given".

Obvious to you and I, perhaps, but not to folks who tend to ask these
questions.

Old January 18th 05, 02:30 AM

In message 49_Gd.4527$Nu.616@fed1read04,
"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote:

Obvious to you and I, perhaps, but not to folks who tend to ask these
questions.

.... but let's get everything in a logical perspective.

If you're going to use a 1.6x-crop DSLR, then the denominator of the
longest shutter speed needs to be multiplied by 1.6x what it would be
for 35mm film. If you're going to use a 2x TC with either, you have to
double those numbers. The way the article stated (or was paraphrased),
it sounded like some special thing happens with digital and/or crops
that changes the basic principal. There is no need for such confusion.
--

John P Sheehy

Old January 18th 05, 06:11 AM
Siddhartha Jain

sid derra wrote:
did you not check out the mag before you subscribet to it? i got a 3

yr
subscription for 10.49 off ebay and am totally happy with it. keeps

me
updated at least - and i think i have an own opinion to a point where

i can
disagree with parts of the zine w/o freaking out.

Mine's an international subscription. Costs $20 including shipping for
a year

- Siddhartha

Old January 18th 05, 06:18 AM
MarkČ

wrote in message
In message 49_Gd.4527$Nu.616@fed1read04,
"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote:

Obvious to you and I, perhaps, but not to folks who tend to ask these
questions.

... but let's get everything in a logical perspective.

If you're going to use a 1.6x-crop DSLR, then the denominator of the
longest shutter speed needs to be multiplied by 1.6x what it would be
for 35mm film. If you're going to use a 2x TC with either, you have to
double those numbers. The way the article stated (or was paraphrased),
it sounded like some special thing happens with digital and/or crops
that changes the basic principal. There is no need for such confusion.

Yes. I see what you're focussing on there. I was talking more to the basic
question of whether camera shake can be more evident a problem when using a
smaller sensor vs. film. The apparent point about the 2x TC is indeed
silly...if that's what they were saying.

Old January 18th 05, 02:56 PM
Phil Wheeler

Siddhartha Jain wrote:
Just started my Popular Photography subscription. The magazine's plain
lousy. Its full of advertisments and the articles aren't worth
anything. No indepth testing reports or insightful articles!! dpreview
does a more thorough job anyday.

Substitute the name of most photo mags and the above would still apply.
I'm surprised that someone who knows about dpreview would subscribe to
Pop Photo. Didn't you buy a test issue at the newstand first??

Phil