D-70. Which lense option is better?

Old January 16th 05, 12:13 AM
y3k via PhotoKB.com

Default D-70. Which lense option is better?

Experts!

Please help the green. I want to buy D-70 with some lense but I'm lost in the lense options, could you advise which one is better and for which purpose?

1. 2-lense option Sigma 28-80mm and 70-300 mm. Looks like the best deal because the price seems to be 50% cut (now $1229), plus they also pack it all into a gadget bag.

2. Quantaray 18-50mm F3.5-5.6DC, total is $1149.99

3. Nikon 18-70mm F3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S, total $1299

Is it really like the last lense options is the best of all or is it just a marketing and it makes sense to take 2-lense option or cheaper Quantaray?

Thanks!

Old January 16th 05, 12:36 AM
paul

y3k via PhotoKB.com wrote:
Experts!

Please help the green. I want to buy D-70 with some lense but I'm lost in the lense options, could you advise which one is better and for which purpose?

1. 2-lense option Sigma 28-80mm and 70-300 mm. Looks like the best deal because the price seems to be 50% cut (now $1229), plus they also pack it all into a gadget bag.

Sounds like this is two mediocre lenses, plus you miss wide angle. I got
a Nikon 28-200 F3.5-5.6 for $350 which is not fantastic quality but
plenty of telephoto & easy to tote around. I'm kind of bummed that it's
not as sharp as this camera deserves though the tele is cool so I'd
recommend that if you really want telephoto now & don't want a bag of
lenses to tote around.

2. Quantaray 18-50mm F3.5-5.6DC, total is $1149.99

Not worth saving $150 if it's slower & probably blurry.

3. Nikon 18-70mm F3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S, total $1299

Is it really like the last lense options is the best of all or is it just a marketing and it makes sense to take 2-lense option or cheaper Quantaray?

Yep, get this & a good telephoto later when you can afford it. This is
really supposed to be an excellent quality lense & it has pretty good
wide angle ability though it's not super fast, it's better than the
other options by far.

Also, do you know what kind of use is important to you yet? Either way,
I'd get the 18-70 because that's the minimum quality you want for this
camera. The only other budget option is get a fast cheap excellent fixed
50mm or something like that if you can stand to be a purist & lose zoom
& like the idea of collecting lenses down the road. That would take
noticeably better pictures than the 18-70. Or get a Canon for a little
less money & see what that'll get you in lenses.
Old January 16th 05, 01:59 AM
Matt Clara

"y3k via PhotoKB.com" wrote in message
. ..
Experts!

Please help the green. I want to buy D-70 with some lense but I'm lost in
the lense options, could you advise which one is better and for which
purpose?

1. 2-lense option Sigma 28-80mm and 70-300 mm. Looks like the best deal
because the price seems to be 50% cut (now $1229), plus they also pack it
all into a gadget bag.

2. Quantaray 18-50mm F3.5-5.6DC, total is $1149.99

3. Nikon 18-70mm F3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S, total $1299

Is it really like the last lense options is the best of all or is it just
a marketing and it makes sense to take 2-lense option or cheaper
Quantaray?

Thanks!

Option 3 really is better in terms of quality. Cheaper 2 lens option may be
best for you, but Sigma doesn't have a good reputation. Quantaray brings
the ritz salesman the most profit.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old January 16th 05, 08:53 PM
Roger

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 00:13:03 GMT, "y3k via PhotoKB.com"
wrote:

Experts!

Please help the green. I want to buy D-70 with some lense but I'm lost in the lense options, could you advise which one is better and for which purpose?

1. 2-lense option Sigma 28-80mm and 70-300 mm. Looks like the best deal because the price seems to be 50% cut (now $1229), plus they also pack it all into a gadget bag.

2. Quantaray 18-50mm F3.5-5.6DC, total is $1149.99

3. Nikon 18-70mm F3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S, total $1299

Is it really like the last lense options is the best of all or is it just a marketing and it makes sense to take 2-lense option or cheaper Quantaray?

Thanks!

I've posted this before, but here is a sample of a hand held shot
using the 18 to 70 kit lens.

http://www.rogerhalstead.com/DayLilly.htm

There are a lot of other photos on the site, but most are from my old
D-70 or scans from 35mm. The Day Lilly is the only one with a
greately enlarged crop to show detail. Rember it was hand held which
subtracts some from the sharpness.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com