Would D-70 get cheaper?

Old January 15th 05, 01:05 AM
y3k via PhotoKB.com

Default Would D-70 get cheaper?

Hi everyone. I was thinking of buying D-70. Looked through the prices on the net, do you think it would ever go below $1,000? What happens during the sales? Like St.Valentine's next month, does it ever get cheaper?

Old January 15th 05, 04:00 PM
Roland Karlsson

"y3k via PhotoKB.com" wrote in
:

Hi everyone. I was thinking of buying D-70. Looked through the prices
on the net, do you think it would ever go below $1,000? What happens
during the sales? Like St.Valentine's next month, does it ever get
cheaper?

As far as I can tell - when a replacemant for an oldie arrives,
the oldie gets cheaper but it is discontinued - so you cannot
relly buy it easily. And ... moreover .. the new one is better
.... so you want that instead.

/Roland
Old January 15th 05, 05:10 PM
C J Campbell

"y3k via PhotoKB.com" wrote in message
. ..
Hi everyone. I was thinking of buying D-70. Looked through the prices on

the net, do you think it would ever go below $1,000? What happens during the
sales? Like St.Valentine's next month, does it ever get cheaper?

It will probably start going on sale when its replacement is announced.
Otherwise, forget it.

Old January 15th 05, 11:50 PM
y3k via PhotoKB.com

Isn't D-100 a replacement?

Old January 16th 05, 12:35 AM
Musty

"y3k via PhotoKB.com" wrote in message
. ..
Hi everyone. I was thinking of buying D-70. Looked through the prices on

the net, do you think it would ever go below $1,000? What happens during the
sales? Like St.Valentine's next month, does it ever get cheaper?

You have to understand that @ $1200 (or whatever the D70 costs), it is
actually already a very cheap camera. A good pro DSLR costs atleast $4000,
so there is no need to bring it down to $1000 when every Tom, Dick and Harry
is willing to spend $1200-$1500 on DSLR bodies. You might want to consider
the Canon Rebel or perhaps buy a used model, atleast that way you will have
the features and price.

Old January 16th 05, 12:58 AM
y3k via PhotoKB.com

Thanks for excellent advice. That's what I wanted to read. My problem is that I always buy the things at the highest possible option and this time I've decided to really explore before I hit the button. I'm slowly starting to understand the market. D-70 is the best thing I found, I just wanted to understand if I'm not throwing the money away again.

Old January 16th 05, 01:28 AM
C J Campbell

"y3k via PhotoKB.com" wrote in message
. ..
Isn't D-100 a replacement?

No. The D100 came out before the D70. In many respects, the D70 is actually
a better camera.

Old January 16th 05, 06:45 PM
Roger

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 17:28:55 -0800, "C J Campbell"
wrote:

"y3k via PhotoKB.com" wrote in message
Isn't D-100 a replacement?

No. The D100 came out before the D70. In many respects, the D70 is actually
a better camera.

I think the D-70 is a better camera, but it lacks two important items.
The mirror lockup while shooting and a cable release. The remote is
not a satisfactory substitute for one. These are not things many
shooters would often use. Me? I miss them.

I just did a search on E-bay. There are several major discount stores
selling D-70s with the kit lens for $999 USD with the current Nikon
rebate. US camera, non gray market.

So the cameras are available and in the past I have seen the body only
in the mid $700 range.

However, purchasing mail order you need to really get to know the
seller and their reputation as well as making sure the camera is not
gray market. There are also a lot of "packages" with the D-70
including extra lenses and accessories that are "off brand", even if
the camera is US.

Buying mail order you can be sure they are going to try to sell you
everything in the store that might work with the camera and
specifically including the expensive, extended warranty.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com