Finding restaurants

Old January 24th 15, 06:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Finding restaurants

PeterN wrote:
On 1/24/2015 8:50 AM, Savageduck wrote:
Sandman wrote:
In article , PAS wrote:

Mind you, for this type of car, this is not considered an overly pricey
car. It's great value for the money.

The average price paid in my area for an SRT8 is around $53,000.00 US.
I don't know what enhancements were done to your car but around here
$80,000 is way, way overpriced for a Charger, even the new Hellcat.

Of course it would be, but cars are a bit pricier in Sweden than in
America.

A fairly maxed out Volvo XC90 is about $100k here.

Adding every pricy option I could find, I could only push the price for a
new XC90 to $62,300 in the USA.

http://www.volvocars.com/us/services/design-and-buy/build-your-volvo?VBSModel=256#/summary/256/813-6USGCC-90-x-en-55117916-USD-162803085-x-0162803118-0162803153-0162803138-0162803175-0162803121-0162803125-0162803101-0162803102-0162803104-0162803105-0162803107-0162803112-0162803123-0162803124-0162803128-0162803130-0162803142-0162803143-0162803149-0162803159-0162803161-0162803166-0162803169-0162803171-0165041746-0165041747-0165735694-0171034110-0171034112-0171111146-1162803132-1162803152-1162803177-1162803193-1162803210-1162803212-1165777555

Sorry, no TinyURL, but my desktop Mac is undergoing major surgery at the
moment, so until Tuesday I have to use My iPad & NewsTap for UseNet.

How does NewsTap work for you? I may borrow my wife's iPad.

Other than having to resort to the terrible GoogleGroups web browser
option, it is the best of some very lean usent client offerings for iOS.
It takes a bit of getting used to, but it is a workable solution, and in
some areas it does quite well. It just doesn't work the way those of us
accustomed to a good desktop client would expect.

Personally, I prefer a desktop, or laptop, but this serves just fine when
needed.

--
Savageduck
Old January 24th 15, 07:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article

, Savageduck wrote:

How does NewsTap work for you? I may borrow my wife's iPad.

newstap is crap but unfortunately, it's the only viable usenet reader
for ios. there are one or two others but they are *way* worse. there's
not enough demand to make a good one. there's just no money in it.

its biggest problem is it doesn't support crossposting, so you get to
read the same posts a bunch of times.

Yup!

Crap might be overstating things given that there isn't anything else
available for iOS. It serves its purpose when needed, and for me this is
one of those times it is needed.

crap is being generous. it's barely usable.

what's surprising is that the author who wrote newstap also wrote icab
which is a *very* good mobile browser with a *lot* of useful features,
such as plug-ins, ad-blocking, cookie control, download manager and
much more.

there's obviously a lot more money in writing a good browser than a
usenet client, so newstap has been mostly ignored.
Old January 24th 15, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Sandman wrote:
In article , PAS wrote:

[...]

I thought I had replied to your post before I posted my reply to nospam,
but it seems to have been lost in the ether.

Anyway, Newstap is the best of very thin pickings for iOS without resorting
to the truly awful GoogleGroups browser driven Usenet access.

It is convenient when I want to, or have to use my iPad. It takes a bit of
getting used to, not perfect, or what one would expect of a good dedicated
newsreader, but is workable. It is not without issues, however it has some
interesting features, such as the ability to display URL links in its own
viewer with an option to go to a browser. That I have never had to do.
Then images posted in the two binary groups I subscribe to:
alt.binaries.photos.original and alt.binaries.pictures.aviation are
displayed quite well.

--
Savageduck
Old January 24th 15, 07:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

nospam wrote:
In article

, Savageduck wrote:

[...]

I am not going to start into a ****ing contest with you here. While it
isn't what we might want in a Usenet client, it serves its purpose when
needed. For me this is one of those times, and it is working well enough
that I am able to respond to you.

--
Savageduck
Old January 24th 15, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Tony Cooper wrote:

I can't make something hard. And since you have been 100% unable to find
one single good restaurant in this area, you have supported the "problem".

Cracker Barrel has been cited as a "good" restaurant in the small
section of that tacky strip of 192.

Was it? Let's see, shall we?

"On that map, I would suggest Cracker Barrel as a place where the food
is very basic"

Hmmm, "very basic" doesn't sound like "good restaurant", really.

First you wanted a great restaurant, now it's good, but we have no idea
what you think makes a restaurant great.

What makes you say this? Really, I want to know. I've repeatedly stated
that what made these restaurant bad was the poor quality of the food. I
haven't commented once one a particular restaurant cooking a type of food I
disliked, or food I like cooked in a (to me) unsuual way which made me
dislike it. As a tourist, I am prepared - nay, I welcome different tastes
and cultures when it comes to food.

My complaints about the restaurants in this area has *consistently* been
about the *quality* of the food, meaning the quality of meat, chicken,
fish, sallad etc etc. For someone that can read, what I think makes a
restaurant "good" should at least have been given some clues.

Now, what makes (to me) a "great" restaurant most certainly includes the
end product, the taste. And I'm not sure I could explain it easily online
like this, I'm afraid. But when I ask you to find a great restaurant, I am
fully aware that I may not agree with its greatness, but I would expect it
to be exceptionally "good" at least.

I'm not going to go overboard and describe Cracker Barrel as great,

No, the descrition was "very basic", remember?

but it's a family restaurant with a varied selection of well-prepared
choices. I said it was "safe" because I don't know what you are looking
for.

All you have to do is ask, if you want to know.

I've eaten at Cracker Barrels in many areas, and never been
disappointed. I doubt if many people have. However, you are not used
to American fare so it's possible that even a Cracker Barrel would
disappoint you. I don't think they offer ligonberries and their
meatloaf isn't round.

Haven't had meatloaf since I was 5 or something.

No reasonable American would take the position that all American
restaurants are good. It's unreasonable, though, to expect to find an
acceptable restaurant in an area when you reduce the search area to a
small section.

Which, incidentally, is what I said from the very beginning, remember?

"I assume you CAN find good food in America, but being in a
tourist heavy area and pick the 20 nearest restaurants and
I'll guarantee that 18 of them are really awful, and the
remaning... "ok" "
/ Sandman- 05/05/2014

Note the date, that was in a thread when John asked me about my vacation.

Wouldn't you agree that "very basic" is somewhat analogous to "ok"? And
that Cracker Barrel would be one of those 2? Aren't you in full and
complete agreement with that initial claim? Remember, this was the first
time the subject of American food was ever discussed in this group. There
was no hidden agenda, no evil motives. I just commented on my experience,
which for all I can see - you agree with completely.

The primary objections to your whining posts is that you refused to
expand your search, refused to do anything to improve your chances of
finding an acceptable restaurant, and bitched about so many things
(fat, sugar, salt, beef quality) that it seems you would be impossible
to please.

I'm not very picky.

I "refused" to widen my supposed "search" because my initial comment, and
all that followed it, was in relation to that particular area - and my
initial comment made it clear that outside of that area, good restaurants
is surely possible to find. The parameters were clear from the beginning,
and the only whining comes from you guys, who keeps arguing about something
you apparently even agree with!

And yes, outside the tourist areas, I've also said that I found a lot of
served food to be high in sugar, salt and grease, which I think is a shame.
You may disagreee, and I may have been unlucky, but it's not like I'm the
only person that thinks so - this is a general consensus about American
food, and chances are that for an Amrican, this is just normal, and going
abroad would lead them to feel that food needs more salt, or is too
bitter/not sweet enough.

Well, ok at least. We went to Tampa Bay

Tampa is a city. Tampa Bay is water. The Tampa Bay area is Tampa, St
Petersburg, and the other little towns that surround the bay.

We went to Tampa Bay, like I said.

one day, and ate at an Olive Garden that was pretty nice. I know you guys
dislike it, but maybe I'm just comparing it to the **** in the tourist
area and was pleasantly surprised.

There's an Olive Garden at 5021 W. Irlo Bronson Highway.

I believe the one we were at was at 6700 US Highway 19 North.

Irlo Bronson Highway is Highway 192 in the Kissimmee area. In most areas
of the US, a state or federal highway will have a local name as it goes
through a town. There is also a Red Lobster just off 192, and Olive
Garden and Red Lobster are both part of the same ownership group. (Or
were; Darden group is reforming)

The Olive Garden is 6.8 miles from the Golden Corral you chose. 6.2
miles! And you wouldn't expand your search.

When did I choose Golden Corral? Are you making stuff up as you go along? I
have no memory of ever eating at a place named Golden Corral.

And I'm also pretty sure that we ate at Olive garden later in the vacation,
so any knowledge about them would not have been available to us those
nights we ended up in bad places.

I just noticed there is an Outback Steakhouse on your map. I would
have recommended that if you had asked.

Right, we did see one of those at some point (or several). A poster in
another group called it "tasty, but not great", and on an earlier trip to
the states, I got burned bad by eating at Sizzlers (another victim of
picking on brand recognition, really), so I think that's why we didn't go
there. Either that, or my wife had read that Texas Roadhouse was better pr
something. We didn't eat there either.

I asked online (in another usenet group) and was recommended "Panera Bread"
(if I recall correctly) which we went to. It was a fast-food kind of joint
and the food was at best "ok". I didn't mind, though.

It's not like we were sitting around scratching our heads going "Why can't
we find awesome food?" We knew the food would be bad in this area.

What the hell is "awesome food" and why would you expect to find it on
a road that runs through that rabbit warren of rental units for
tourists, tee shirt shops, and tacky stores for the tourists?

It's like the words are on your screen, you see them, but they're too hard
for you to read and understand, so you go "Ah, **** it, whatever he said
something about awesome".

See how I wrote "It's *NOT* like we were sitting..."? Of course you don't.

only because you haven't a clue how to find good food.

And neither do you, since you have been 100% unable to find good food in
this area.

How can you make that kind of judgment?

Mainly because there has been a lot of claims from him (and you) yet no
results. You both have been unable to find good (or great) restaurants in
this area, plus you both have failed to mention what source of information
a tourist would go by to find it.

nospam has named "internet" but a web search for good restaurants in this
area all turned out blank. You have mentioned going to a hotel and ask the
guy in the lobby about restaurants, which sure is a viable option, but
certainly supports the notion that it's hard to find.

He may think hot wings are good-to-great, and there's a Buffalo Wild
Wings in that tiny section.

If so, he has failed to mention that fact and thus failed to support his
position, much like you have.

If he wouldn't make a choice of what's in that little defined area,
and would drive until he found something acceptable to him, he'd be
seated and ordering within an extra few minutes.

Cool. But for a travelling family, when do you stop? I mean, you're going
along the 192, you don't recognize any brands and you know pretty much
nothing about any of the restaurants. So how would you know when to stop?
When do you stop because soon enough, your exit is coming up and it seems
unnecessary to keep going in the wrong direction if you don't even know if
there's anything to find.

I haven't been to Sweden, but I have been to neighboring Denmark
several times. The food was good, but I don't recall anything I'd
consider to be "awesome". Some very good pizza-like something in
Copenhagen basement cave-like restaurant, but it wasn't "awesome".
I had help, there, too. My brother has lived there for over 45 years
and his wife is a native Dane.

You're the only one talking about "awesome", though. The food in Denmark is
good, and have good quality meat. Sweden has *much* higher meat regulations
though, and Swede's don't buy danish meat.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old January 24th 15, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Sandman wrote:
In article , PAS wrote:

[...]

BTW: One useful feature is the graphical thread tracing option. Enable it
and the entire thread can be traced and if you want to go to a particular
point inthe thread, or message, just tap on that " lozenge".
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/59mn0t3pnu9syq6/AABsgHYkXgMTwSLObcsAJDNma?dl=0

--
Savageduck
Old January 24th 15, 08:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 1/24/2015 1:23 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jan 2015 12:19:03 -0500, PeterN
wrote:

IMHO Golden Corral beats Olive Garden by a mile. But tastes do differ. I
would rather go hungry, or get a hot dog, than eat at OG.
In his original description of Golden Corral, I smelled the aroma of
prejudice.

I understand that. I had an excellent meal at Windows on the World
and you didn't like it. I despise buffet restaurants with food on
steam tables that have been there for hours. Tastes differ.

Ah! That's the rub. Fried chicken doesn't stay on the steam table for
hours. I have had to wait until they finished cooking.

I haven't eaten at an Olive Garden for a decade or so. If I want
Italian, there are so many better places that I wouldn't consider an
Olive Garden.

The point is that we both expend some effort in finding a good place,
and don't whine and moan when it doesn't turn out as expected.

Yep!. And I'm one of the fe Northerners who likes grits, fried pickles
and okra.

--
PeterN
Old January 24th 15, 08:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

Sandman wrote:
In article , PAS wrote:

[...]

Thanks.
BTW the link pointed me to a slew of images, some of which you hadn't
posted before. Did you mean to do that?

--
PeterN
Old January 24th 15, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Savageduck wrote:
Sandman wrote:
In article , PAS wrote:

[...]

Damn! I didn't intend to send the URL for the entire "Demo" folder just the
single image.Sheesh!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5hlqytzqj5fb6gd/Photo%20Jan%2024%2C%2011%2047%2055%20AM.png?dl=0

--
Savageduck
Old January 24th 15, 08:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Sandman wrote:
In article , PAS wrote:

[...]

Yeah! That was unintended. That was my Dropbox folder which I use for
posting "Demo" images. I acted too quickly with getting the link from my
iPad DB app, and created a link to the entire "Demo" folder instead of the
intended image.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5hlqytzqj5fb6gd/Photo%20Jan%2024%2C%2011%2047%2055%20AM.png?dl=0

I don't believe there is anything there too damaging to my already sullied
reputation. :-)

--
Savageduck