Photographing Aurora ?

Old January 10th 10, 07:56 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

Default Photographing Aurora ?

"NickTheBatMan" wrote in message
I'm going to Northern Finland soon - hoping to see Aurora...? I now
realise that it's not a good year but I've booked and am going and
there is of course more of a chance than here anyway !

I've a Nikon F60 as well as a D5000 and am considering taking both the
hedge my bets...
I've several lenses but most likely to take just the DX VR 18-200mm
f3.5-5.6 - which I know won't autofocus on the F60...

I'm guessing that standard 35mm transparency film - probably Velvia or
similar - is not likely to break at -40 or whatever it turns out to be
at this time of year ?

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some pointers about the best
settings for the camera that's going to be solidly mounted on a
Manfrotto tripod which I'm going to lug about with me !

I'm sure you will get plenty of pointers, but I would just like to mention
that your tripod will hold your camera steady, but will have no effect on
the motion of your subject. The same is true of your VR lenses.....They are
great for camera shake, but subject motion is not helped by them.

Old January 10th 10, 02:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 23:56:15 -0800, "Bill Graham" wrote:
:
: "NickTheBatMan" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Aurora displays tend to fade in and out, but I wouldn't say they appear to
move. A tripod should be all one needs for the time frames at issue. I'd
expect the main caveat to be the same one applicable to photographing
Gegendämmerung (or sunsets generally); i.e. don't make the exposure too long
or you'll wash out most of the color.

Bob
Old January 13th 10, 02:07 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:47:38 -0800 (PST), NickTheBatMan
wrote:
: On 10 Jan, 14:00, Robert Coe wrote:
: On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 23:56:15 -0800, "Bill Graham" wrote:
:
: :: "NickTheBatMan" wrote in message
:
: ...
: : I'm going to Northern Finland soon - hoping to see Aurora...? I now
: : realise that it's not a good year but I've booked and am going and
: : there is of course more of a chance than here anyway !
: :
[...]
: Cheers for that Bob, I shall play... the wonders of Digital is that I
: can play to my hearts content and not waste anything but my time and
: effort...
:
: I may just take a few films and see how well I do...

There's nothing wrong with film! (Just like there's nothing wrong with those
guys who drive their Model T Fords every year in the 4th of July parade.) !^)
;^)

Bob
Old January 13th 10, 09:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Rol_Lei Nut

NickTheBatMan wrote:
On 13 Jan, 02:07, Robert Coe wrote:

There's nothing wrong with film! (Just like there's nothing wrong with those
guys who drive their Model T Fords every year in the 4th of July parade.) !^)
;^)

Bob

Now now Bob, we've got a 1971 Austin Healey Sprite
Know what you mean though
I'm just contemplating taking the film as a backup against the digital
going wrong...
There's nothing like using old technology and quite often old clunky
stuff is more reliable than all singing all dancing... and sometimes
easier to fix too

No need to come up with excuses, just admit you enjoy using film and
appreciate quality... ;-)
Old January 13th 10, 10:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

"NickTheBatMan" wrote in message
On 13 Jan, 02:07, Robert Coe wrote:

There's nothing wrong with film! (Just like there's nothing wrong with
those
guys who drive their Model T Fords every year in the 4th of July parade.)
!^)
;^)

Bob

Now now Bob, we've got a 1971 Austin Healey Sprite
Know what you mean though
I'm just contemplating taking the film as a backup against the digital
going wrong...
There's nothing like using old technology and quite often old clunky
stuff is more reliable than all singing all dancing... and sometimes
easier to fix too

weg9 says: Film makes beautiful photos. It is expensive, and it takes
time to get them back, but if you aren't in a hurry, and have the money,
your pics will be just as good as they are with digital.

Old January 14th 10, 03:11 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 14:31:13 -0800, "Bill Graham" wrote:
:
: "NickTheBatMan" wrote in message
: ...
: On 13 Jan, 02:07, Robert Coe wrote:
:
:
: There's nothing wrong with film! (Just like there's nothing wrong with
: those
: guys who drive their Model T Fords every year in the 4th of July parade.)
: !^)
: ;^)
:
: Bob
:
: Now now Bob, we've got a 1971 Austin Healey Sprite
: Know what you mean though
: I'm just contemplating taking the film as a backup against the digital
: going wrong...
: There's nothing like using old technology and quite often old clunky
: stuff is more reliable than all singing all dancing... and sometimes
: easier to fix too
:
: weg9 says: Film makes beautiful photos. It is expensive, and it takes
: time to get them back, but ... your pics will be just as good as they
: are with digital.

"And they give you cash, which is just as good as money!"
Lawrence ("Yogi") Berra (in an insurance company TV commercial)