D11 or D70

Old January 12th 05, 02:55 PM
Owamanga

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:27:31 GMT, "map"
wrote:

Sorry, typo, my bad. I meant to ask about the difference between the D100
and the D70. So is the D100 worth the extra $$$?

My opinion: No..

D70 has faster flash sync speeds. (1/500th vs 1/180th?)
D70 has 3D 1005 segment color metering, the D100 has only 10 segments.
D70 has 3fps compared to D100's 2.5fps.
D70 uses the most advanced iTTL flash metering.
D70 has max shutter at 1/8000th compared to D100 1/4000th.
D70 has better color at ISO 800 and above, some say even at ISO 200.
D70 is the newer model.
D70 does vertical image rotation for the LCD preview.
D70 has a higher resolution LCD monitor than the D100
D70 is 105g lighter than the D100
D70 is cheaper.

D100 is physically more robust.
D100 has bigger viewfinder.
D100 has more pro connection ports (such as cable release)
D100 has mirror lockup.
D100 built-in-flash slightly more powerful than the D70.

Both are 6.1Mpixel CCD.

--
Owamanga!
Old January 12th 05, 03:11 PM
map

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, This makes the dicision pretty clear. One thing though, do you mean
that the D70 does not have a cable {or wire} release? Would make it useless
for long or telephoto shots? One again thanks for all the info. t

Old January 12th 05, 03:37 PM
Graham Holden

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:27:31 GMT, "map" wrote:

Sorry, typo, my bad. I meant to ask about the difference between the D100
and the D70. So is the D100 worth the extra $$$?

If you've not come across it already:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d70flash.htm#vsD100

is one man's take on the differences (plus D70 vs. others).

Old January 12th 05, 03:46 PM
Owamanga

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:11:49 GMT, "map"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

That is correct, you need to use an infra-red wireless remote (ML-L3).
Problem here, is they assumed you'd be in front of the camera. This
could change your shooting style somewhat!

Gun-style triggers and other weird contraptions that nature
photographers like to use won't be simple to integrate with the D70.

One day, someone might make an wire to IR converter that will do the
job, but as far as I know, nothing exists yet.

There is this thing, but it's expensive:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1088425927.html

I also found this thing, for PC wireless remote of the D70:
http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=4192

I guess a prism or such device could be fashioned to allow the IR to
be shot from behind the camera - if mass produced from plastic this
thing should only cost $1 and velcro'd on to the front of the camera,
but again, it doesn't exist yet.

--
Owamanga!
Old January 12th 05, 03:48 PM
Graham Holden

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:11:49 GMT, "map" wrote:

Thanks, This makes the dicision pretty clear. One thing though, do you mean
that the D70 does not have a cable {or wire} release? Would make it useless
for long or telephoto shots? One again thanks for all the info. t

Correct -- the D70 doesn't have a cable release, it has an Infra Red
sensor. You'll need to buy a small trigger device separately if you want
to remotely fire the shutter (about £15 I believe, although I've heard
they're hard to find).

Although apparently you can also use a PalmPilot to do the job:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=8334539

Old January 13th 05, 02:36 AM
Christopher Pollard

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:48:51 +0000, Graham Holden wrote:

You'll need to buy a small trigger device separately if you want
to remotely fire the shutter (about £15 I believe, although I've heard
they're hard to find).

Not so hard to find.
http://search.ebay.com/ml-l3_W0QQsoj...QsatitleZml-l3

Plenty to choose from there.

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net
Old January 13th 05, 05:55 PM
paul

Graham Holden wrote:

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:11:49 GMT, "map" wrote:

Thanks, This makes the dicision pretty clear. One thing though, do you mean
that the D70 does not have a cable {or wire} release? Would make it useless
for long or telephoto shots? One again thanks for all the info. t

Correct -- the D70 doesn't have a cable release, it has an Infra Red
sensor. You'll need to buy a small trigger device separately if you want
to remotely fire the shutter (about £15 I believe, although I've heard
they're hard to find).

Although apparently you can also use a PalmPilot to do the job:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=8334539

The $100 Capture software allows remote control from a laptop via USB
cable & immediate viewing of the image on screen.
Old January 16th 05, 09:46 PM
Seymore

Which make NO sense to me. They're selling ML-L3's for more than you can
get them for from Wolf (Ritz) for example! I guess if they're hard to come
by overseas...

Old January 17th 05, 12:02 AM
Merritt Mullen

"Seymore" wrote:

Which make NO sense to me. They're selling ML-L3's for more than you can
get them for from Wolf (Ritz) for example! I guess if they're hard to come
by overseas...

I just bought one from B&H for $17.

Merritt
Old January 17th 05, 03:56 AM
Seymore

Exactly! But there were many bids on one from EBay that was up to ~$21.
That's just stupid!