Finding restaurants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 22nd 15, 03:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Finding restaurants

In article , Andreas Skitsnack wrote:

Andreas Skitsnack:
That's hardly a problem faced only by the tourist in the US.
It's a problem faced by any tourist in any country other than
his/her own country.

Sandman:
No. It. Isn't. If you travel to Italy and pick a restaurant at
random, you will never ever be served the things we were served
when doing the same in the US. It just doesn't happen. Sure, some
countries have vastly different food cultures, so the cultural
taste differs heavily, but a european travelling in Europa will
not pick bad places at random at the rate it's done in America.

I have made several trips to Europe

Then you know.

I've had hits and misses.

And by "misses" you mean you've had a meal at a restaurant in say, France,
where the quality of the meat was sub-standard or the produce was old and
stale? That is the topic, remember?

There will always be shoddy restaurants. But I'm claiming that the
base *quality* is higher, so the reason for the "miss" is less likely to be
due to a bad foundation, but rather a bad chef with a good foundation.

I don't complain about the misses because I feel that's the risk of
traveling.

Indeed.

I would never consider whining on as you have done about any aspect of
foreign travel. A traveler should not expect to find things in a foreign
country to be the same as he would at home.

I don't "whine". When asked, I answer. Then someone with way too much pride
invested in the food culture of the states chimes in and claims I am wrong,
so I explain further.

You claim to have made other visits to the US. Why do you return?

I've been there for business in several occasions.

I've been in Florida three times, two of them fairly recently. The reason
is the Disney parks. We could go to EuroDisney in France of course, but why
not go to the biggest of them all if you can, ey? I won't let the food
stand in my way for that.

That's why we rented an apartment instead of staying in a hotel, so that we
can cook our own food. At first, we shopped at Walmart, but someone tipped
us about Whole Foods (if I remember correctly) so the quality of the
products then was really good, very much on-standard with home groceries.

Soon my sister's kids will be old enough to visit the parks, so we'll
probably return, but chances are that we'll go to Disney Land instead, I
hear that the Universal park on that coast is nicer.

--
Sandman[.net]