Widepan test roll results

Old April 21st 05, 08:29 AM
RolandRB

Default Widepan test roll results

I put a test roll through my Widepan and got the results back. Same
photo but 6 different focussing distances all at 1/250th sec and
approx. f11 on a sunnyish day. All six frames had the first 3mm
overexposed due to the drum coming up to speed. I inspected each frame
closely using a 10x lupe. I took shots focussed at the 3 marked
distances (near, middle and far) as well as half way to where I
expected infinity to be (I calculated that infinity was bang on the "f"
mark for "far" and on my model this is the same distance from the "far"
marker is as the "near" marker is but the other side), very close to
the "f" and bang on the stem of the "f". There was no degradation of
horizontal resolution as I feared as would be the case if the rear
principal point moved off the axis during focussing. I would guess that
there is an internal adjustment of the lens during focussing that keeps
this exactly on the axis. My calculation as to where the infinity focus
point would be seems to be exactly right as positioning the focus bang
on the stem of the "f" gave the sharpest pictures out at infinity.
Apart from the first 3mm being overexposed I was very impressed with
the results. The lens is exceedingly sharp at f11 (limited by
diffraction of course at 1500/f-stop for yellow light). I am very
pleased with it. Using good color slide film (my test roll was Provia
100F) and careful focussing the frames should enlarge 8x or 10x at a
push.

Old April 21st 05, 02:26 PM
jjs

"RolandRB" wrote in message
oups.com...
I put a test roll through my Widepan and got the results back. [...]

And, as usual, Roland offers no visual evidence - no pictures.

This group is to photography as typewriter collectors are to literature.

Old April 21st 05, 02:26 PM
jjs

oups.com...

Old April 21st 05, 02:56 PM
RolandRB

I don't have a scanner or a computer at home here in Germany nor a web
site where I could host the photos if I did. And they would be enormous
files if I could scan them in and web them to even show up the
differences between the 6 shots.

Old April 21st 05, 04:26 PM
RolandRB

If somebody wants to make a project out of it then I could send them
the roll (but it would be nice to have it sent back).

Old April 21st 05, 04:26 PM
RolandRB

Old April 21st 05, 07:46 PM
Bandicoot

"jjs" wrote in message
"RolandRB" wrote in message
oups.com...

[SNIP]

This group is to photography as typewriter collectors are to literature.

Writing as one who, ocassionally, collects typewriters, I resent that
remark...

;-)

Peter

Old April 22nd 05, 12:30 AM
jjs

"RolandRB" wrote in message
oups.com...
If somebody wants to make a project out of it then I could send them
the roll (but it would be nice to have it sent back).

If you can afford the camera, then you can afford an ISP to post the images.