IS f/1.2 FOR YOU?

Old January 29th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Rod

Default IS f/1.2 FOR YOU?

John McWilliams wrote:
Rod wrote:

I really hate going from one newsgroup to another and reading the same
posts.

Thunderbird still hasn't got the ability to mark as read x-posts, afaik.

However, hitting "k" kills the entire thread, so you have to do it only
once for the other NGs.

Or use a news client that has that ability.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know about "k". It
only kills that particular thread, right. I don't
necessarily want it to stop the poster from
posting other messages.
Thanks
Old January 29th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Rod wrote:

John McWilliams wrote:

Rod wrote:

I really hate going from one newsgroup to another and reading the
same posts.

Thunderbird still hasn't got the ability to mark as read x-posts, afaik.

However, hitting "k" kills the entire thread, so you have to do it
only once for the other NGs.

Or use a news client that has that ability.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know about "k". It only kills that
particular thread, right. I don't necessarily want it to stop the poster
from posting other messages.
Thanks

Correct, it just kills that one thread.
Old January 29th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

On Jan 29, 1:45 pm, Rod wrote:
Thanks for the tip. I didn't know about "k". It
only kills that particular thread, right. I don't
necessarily want it to stop the poster from
posting other messages.

I wish Google Groups had THAT feature!

Old January 30th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

Paul Furman wrote:
Rod wrote:

John McWilliams wrote:

Rod wrote:

I really hate going from one newsgroup to another and reading the
same posts.

Thunderbird still hasn't got the ability to mark as read x-posts, afaik.

However, hitting "k" kills the entire thread, so you have to do it
only once for the other NGs.

Or use a news client that has that ability.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know about "k". It only kills that
particular thread, right. I don't necessarily want it to stop the
poster from posting other messages.
Thanks

Correct, it just kills that one thread.

'Zackly. If I am able to read all my groups in one sitting, it's easy
enough to just kf the thread knowing I can follow it in one of the other
groups.

For those whom who wish to not read, choose "Create Filter from message".

--
John McWilliams
Old January 30th 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Matt Clara

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message
Annika1980 wrote:

Here are a couple of examples showing the extremely narrow Depth of
Field when shooting the Canon 50mm f/1.2L wide open:

That's not from narrow DoF, it's more so attributed to a very soft lens.
Some lenses aren't designed to be shot wide open and this is one of them.
There are many complaints of this lens being soft. Its performance surely
doesn't command Canon's high asking price. This is why the world famous
58mm f/1.2 Noct Nikkor command almost double the price of the 50/1.2 Canon
on the used market. If you want superior sharpness and bokeh your only
choice is to get the Noct.

The Canon looks like a very nice lens to me.

Old January 30th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mark²

Annika1980 wrote:

Here are a couple of examples showing the extremely narrow Depth of
Field when shooting the Canon 50mm f/1.2L wide open:

That's not from narrow DoF, it's more so attributed to a very soft
lens. Some lenses aren't designed to be shot wide open and this is
one of them. There are many complaints of this lens being soft. Its
performance surely doesn't command Canon's high asking price. This
is why the world famous 58mm f/1.2 Noct Nikkor command almost double
the price of the 50/1.2 Canon on the used market. If you want
superior sharpness and bokeh your only choice is to get the Noct.

The Canon looks like a very nice lens to me.

It looks niced to Rita, too, but his trollish tendencies will never allow
him to acknowledge this.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 30th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Keith Baird

Rita Ä Berkowitz ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote:
This is why the world famous 58mm f/1.2 Noct Nikkor command almost double
the price of the 50/1.2 Canon on the used market.

I should think the Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L hasn't been available long
enough for *any* kind of track record on the used market.

--/eith
Old January 31st 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bandicoot

"Annika1980" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here are a couple of examples showing the extremely narrow Depth of
Field when shooting the Canon 50mm f/1.2L wide open:

Really nice Bret. You may remember that I use a Pentax 50mm f1.2 sometimes,
liking it as a B&W environmental portrait lens (I linked to a picture taken
with it in a thread in RPE35 once). I haven't used it on animals though:
maybe I should.

The 135mm f1.8 that I also use for portraits is a nice cat lens too.

Peter

Old January 31st 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Skip

Keith Baird wrote:

This is why the world famous 58mm f/1.2 Noct Nikkor command almost
double the price of the 50/1.2 Canon on the used market.

I should think the Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L hasn't been available long
enough for *any* kind of track record on the used market.

Oops, that should read, "This is why the world famous 58mm f/1.2 Noct
Nikkor
command almost double the price on the used market compared to the price
of
a new Canon 50/1.2." There are actually foolish people letting their used
pristine condition Nocts go for $3,000 on eBay.

"A fool and his lens are soon parted?"

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old January 31st 07, 05:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Dyer-Bennet

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
Keith Baird wrote:

This is why the world famous 58mm f/1.2 Noct Nikkor command almost
double the price of the 50/1.2 Canon on the used market.

I should think the Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L hasn't been available long
enough for *any* kind of track record on the used market.

Oops, that should read, "This is why the world famous 58mm f/1.2 Noct
Nikkor
command almost double the price on the used market compared to the price of
a new Canon 50/1.2." There are actually foolish people letting their used
pristine condition Nocts go for $3,000 on eBay.

I picked mine up used on a "table sale" at a local camera store (where
they put all their stuff they wanted to seriously clear out on tables in
the parking lot, in a tent in the parking lot I think) for $700, in the
early 1990s I think. It was near-mint then, I think. Probably at least
very good still.

But not currently for sale :-).