The DSLR alternative??

Old August 3rd 05, 02:12 PM
l e o

RichA wrote:

Oh they did exist, for sure. Olympus lead the way, they had P&S with
long zooms and even fixed lens DSLRs with long zooms. But they
ditched most of them. Now, more and more companies are featuring them
as their flagship cameras instead of venturing into the DSLR world.

Sony makes those high end digicam too. Sony is joining forces with K-M
to make dSLR. Panasonic is in the 4/3 camp and considering they also
make professional grade video cameras, they have enough name recognition
to venture into professional still cameras too. You don't need to be
reminded about Fujifilm, Pentax and Olympus, do you? As for Kodak, the
name just doesn't fly in high end cameras. They are now concentrated in
sensor manufacturing. Perhaps they might return to the 4/3 format someday.

More than whatever else they previously offered. Take a look at
Samsung's current crop and then the new 815 coming.

Perhaps you can do the research for me telling me what exciting manual
controls that only this new camera have.

The refrain I'm hearing that will probably be used to sell them
against cheap DSLRs is "NO DUST!"

Maybe. I have not cleaned the sensor since I got it last December. I
have taken thousands of pictures and changed lenses hundreds of times.

I think more than a few people exaggerate their need for "low light"
capabilities, as a way of justifying lugging around a DSLR with all
the lenses, etc. But it would be nice to have it when needed.
-Rich

Your last sentence is correct. The basic premise is use the right tool
at the right time. I am glad I have both Canon 20D & Sony V1. Only
people like you who bought a high end P&S have to spend that much time
to find excuses to justify your purchasing decision.
Old August 3rd 05, 10:50 PM

In message et,
l e o wrote:

Plus knowing the high MP compromises the low light performance make
these type of cameras a big no, no for me.

It would be nice if technology was developed that could bin sensels
during readout, in a lower-MP mode for low light. Once readout has
occured, binning digitally is not quite the same thing. You'd really
need to drain 4 or 9 sensels at a time. An adequate AA filter should
prevent "box filter" artifacts.
--

John P Sheehy

Old August 3rd 05, 10:54 PM

In message ,
l e o wrote:

Maybe. I have not cleaned the sensor since I got it last December. I
have taken thousands of pictures and changed lenses hundreds of times.

The only time I see dust is when I accidentally leave the camera set to
a slow shutter-priority and a high ISO, and aim at the sky. If you
rarely use f/16 and smaller, you will rarely see dust.

Still, an anti-dust feature in my next body would be welcome.
--

John P Sheehy