The DSLR alternative??

Old August 2nd 05, 05:03 PM
RichA

Default The DSLR alternative??

Now Kodak has jumped on the bandwagon. First Samsung, then
Panasonic, then Fuji and now Kodak.
Megapixels, long zooms, lots of manual control.
I wonder how this segment is going to sell?
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05...k_p880p850.asp
Old August 2nd 05, 05:34 PM
Paul Furman

RichA wrote:

Now Kodak has jumped on the bandwagon. First Samsung, then
Panasonic, then Fuji and now Kodak.
Megapixels, long zooms, lots of manual control.
I wonder how this segment is going to sell?
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05...k_p880p850.asp

Funny looking viewfinder bump on the top. Why bother when it's not going
to match the actual framing anyways?

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1
Old August 2nd 05, 06:31 PM
David J Taylor

Paul Furman wrote:
RichA wrote:

Now Kodak has jumped on the bandwagon. First Samsung, then
Panasonic, then Fuji and now Kodak.
Megapixels, long zooms, lots of manual control.
I wonder how this segment is going to sell?
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05...k_p880p850.asp

Funny looking viewfinder bump on the top. Why bother when it's not
going to match the actual framing anyways?

It supposedly has an electronic viewfinder, which should provide a 100%
accurate representation. But what is that lump on top?

David

Old August 2nd 05, 10:09 PM
Skip M

"RichA" wrote in message
Now Kodak has jumped on the bandwagon. First Samsung, then
Panasonic, then Fuji and now Kodak.
Megapixels, long zooms, lots of manual control.
I wonder how this segment is going to sell?
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05...k_p880p850.asp

They're starting to creep up on small DSLR size, too. I couldn't find the
size of the sensor on the P880, but it is close to the size of a 350D,
albeit 1/2 the weight when the latter has a 17-85 IS mounted. I wonder
about the price...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old August 2nd 05, 11:20 PM
frederick

Skip M wrote:

"RichA" wrote in message

Now Kodak has jumped on the bandwagon. First Samsung, then
Panasonic, then Fuji and now Kodak.
Megapixels, long zooms, lots of manual control.
I wonder how this segment is going to sell?
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05...k_p880p850.asp

They're starting to creep up on small DSLR size, too. I couldn't find the
size of the sensor on the P880, but it is close to the size of a 350D,
albeit 1/2 the weight when the latter has a 17-85 IS mounted. I wonder
about the price...

A clue to the sensor size is the minimum aperture of f8. That indicates
to me that it is a small sensor.

Old August 3rd 05, 12:55 AM
Skip M

"frederick" wrote in message
Skip M wrote:

"RichA" wrote in message

Now Kodak has jumped on the bandwagon. First Samsung, then
Panasonic, then Fuji and now Kodak.
Megapixels, long zooms, lots of manual control.
I wonder how this segment is going to sell?
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05...k_p880p850.asp

They're starting to creep up on small DSLR size, too. I couldn't find
the size of the sensor on the P880, but it is close to the size of a
350D, albeit 1/2 the weight when the latter has a 17-85 IS mounted. I
wonder about the price...

A clue to the sensor size is the minimum aperture of f8. That indicates
to me that it is a small sensor.

Oh, I knew it was small, I was looking for the exact dimensions. You're
right, f2.8-8 range is a clue to the lack of size, esp. when compared to the
f4-32 of the 17-85 or f2.8-22 of the 24-70 L.
As I re-read my post, I can see my wording could lead to confusion, I meant
the camera was close to 350D size, not the sensor.

Old August 3rd 05, 01:18 AM
frederick

Skip M wrote:

"RichA" wrote in message

[...]

Yes. I misread your post, misread the DPReview aricle, and until I
noticed the f8 limit, I thought the Kodak Camera was interesting. I
expect it probably isn't. I think cameras like these are probably
overestimated, and comparatively cheap P&S zooms often underestimated.
Old August 3rd 05, 04:24 AM
borg

i think what appears to be the viewfinder above the lens must be the af
sensor and illuminator. i wonder how much of a nuisance f/8 minimum
would be. both the p880 and p850 looked good to me as well until this
was pointed out.

Old August 3rd 05, 05:02 AM
l e o

RichA wrote:
Now Kodak has jumped on the bandwagon. First Samsung, then
Panasonic, then Fuji and now Kodak.
Megapixels, long zooms, lots of manual control.
I wonder how this segment is going to sell?
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05...k_p880p850.asp

Is RichA coming from the stone age?
These types of cameras have been around for years. people always want
more MP and more zoom. Only better educated people also want bigger
sensor and image stabilization and want better quality lenses.

And please define what is "lots of manual control"? I am not aware of
any cameras other than slim and small type without suficient manual
controls.

As for how well will they sell. I would say they will do well if the
price is kept below $400-$500. Many people don't know the fine art of
photography equipment and the speficiation sells.

At the time when I had Olympus C-3000Z, 3MP P&S cameras, I would be sold
by this type of cameras. But after having a Rebel/20D and seeing the
amazing picture quality I could archieve (with appropiate lenses, of
course). I cannot go back to a simple P&S.

Plus knowing the high MP compromises the low light performance make
these type of cameras a big no, no for me.
Old August 3rd 05, 05:58 AM
RichA

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 04:02:39 GMT, l e o wrote:

RichA wrote:
Now Kodak has jumped on the bandwagon. First Samsung, then
Panasonic, then Fuji and now Kodak.
Megapixels, long zooms, lots of manual control.
I wonder how this segment is going to sell?
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05...k_p880p850.asp

Is RichA coming from the stone age?
These types of cameras have been around for years. people always want
more MP and more zoom. Only better educated people also want bigger
sensor and image stabilization and want better quality lenses.

Oh they did exist, for sure. Olympus lead the way, they had P&S with
long zooms and even fixed lens DSLRs with long zooms. But they
ditched most of them. Now, more and more companies are featuring them
as their flagship cameras instead of venturing into the DSLR world.

And please define what is "lots of manual control"? I am not aware of
any cameras other than slim and small type without suficient manual
controls.

More than whatever else they previously offered. Take a look at
Samsung's current crop and then the new 815 coming.

As for how well will they sell. I would say they will do well if the
price is kept below $400-$500. Many people don't know the fine art of
photography equipment and the speficiation sells.

True.

At the time when I had Olympus C-3000Z, 3MP P&S cameras, I would be sold
by this type of cameras. But after having a Rebel/20D and seeing the
amazing picture quality I could archieve (with appropiate lenses, of
course). I cannot go back to a simple P&S.

The refrain I'm hearing that will probably be used to sell them
against cheap DSLRs is "NO DUST!"

Plus knowing the high MP compromises the low light performance make
these type of cameras a big no, no for me.

I think more than a few people exaggerate their need for "low light"
capabilities, as a way of justifying lugging around a DSLR with all
the lenses, etc. But it would be nice to have it when needed.
-Rich