Pentax's new "L" = least expensive DSLR yet?

Old July 31st 05, 09:20 PM
RichA

Default Pentax's new "L" = least expensive DSLR yet?

According to one Brit magazine anyway.
They showed a price of 600 pounds for it
as a kit. It looked even smaller than the
current "s" but the size was not given.
It's possible linked with their 40mm
pancake lens, this thing could be considered
pocketable.
-Rich
Old July 31st 05, 11:24 PM
Martin Francis

"RichA" wrote in message
According to one Brit magazine anyway.
They showed a price of 600 pounds for it
as a kit. It looked even smaller than the
current "s" but the size was not given.
It's possible linked with their 40mm
pancake lens, this thing could be considered
pocketable.
-Rich

It doesn't seem smaller. It does seem cheaper, and I don't mean in price.

We currently sell it £549 b/o, and throw in a free Sigma 18-50mm when we
have them.

Martin

Old August 1st 05, 05:52 AM
RichA

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 23:24:25 +0100, "Martin Francis"
wrote:

"RichA" wrote in message
.. .
According to one Brit magazine anyway.
They showed a price of 600 pounds for it
as a kit. It looked even smaller than the
current "s" but the size was not given.
It's possible linked with their 40mm
pancake lens, this thing could be considered
pocketable.
-Rich

It doesn't seem smaller. It does seem cheaper, and I don't mean in price.

We currently sell it £549 b/o, and throw in a free Sigma 18-50mm when we
have them.

Martin

Well, it does have that blown-plastic look of cheapness.
Maybe DSLR makers should re-think how low they want to go?
-Rich
Old August 1st 05, 08:33 AM
Pete D

The Pentax *ist DL is a slighly smaller, slightly cheaper version of the
Pentax *ist DS which was announced on June 1st 2005. The anticipated release
date is August 10th 2005. Most of the camera remains the same as the DS, but
there are some differences among which a

a.. The pentaprism is replaced by a pentamirror, giving a somewhat smaller
viewfinder (now 0.85x)
b.. The LCD is larger (2.5")
c.. The DL has 3 AF zones (the DS has 11)
d.. The buffer is now 5/3 (Jpeg/Raw) [vs. 8/5 for the DS]
e.. The DL has an auto ISO model
f.. The DL is 7% lighter (ca. 565g vs. 605g)
g.. The DL is about 12% cheaper (ca. $700 vs. ca. $800)
h.. The DL has no high speed flash sync
The lack of high speed flash sync in a bad idea. I think you will find the
size pretty much the same.

Old August 2nd 05, 06:29 PM

So let me get this right...

The DL reverts to a 1/60 flash sync. instead of something acceptable
like 1/250?

T.