Canon 20D grip fix offered

Old July 25th 05, 11:29 AM
Alan Browne

Default Canon 20D grip fix offered

For those who've had 20D grip problems, Canon appear to have finally
acknowledged responsibility:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05...atterygrip.asp

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old July 26th 05, 06:37 AM
Capture Boy

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
For those who've had 20D grip problems, Canon appear to have finally
acknowledged responsibility:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05...atterygrip.asp

Cheers,
Alan

Canon UK and Europe are still head in the sand saying there is no problem
and they do not know about the US problem.

Old July 26th 05, 02:21 PM
Alan Browne

Capture Boy wrote:
Canon UK and Europe are still head in the sand saying there is no
problem and they do not know about the US problem.

I would suggest that they can't ignore what their US counterparts are
doing in the age of the internet. And the European mags such as C d'I
will likely take them to task over it if they don't wake up.

Finally, if this is an issue for you, you should be writing Canon Europe
nastigrams on the issue and shame them into action. CC to the magazines.

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old July 26th 05, 10:49 PM
nick c

Alan Browne wrote:
For those who've had 20D grip problems, Canon appear to have finally
acknowledged responsibility:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05...atterygrip.asp

Cheers,
Alan

Thanks Alan.

As a result of your posting information, I contacted Canon USA and was
provided with interesting information about advantages in becoming a CPS
(Canon Professional Service) member. One need not actually be a
professional photographer. To become a CPS member, one must have at
least two pro type Canon cameras and at least two Canon "L" type lenses.
Applications may be obtained by e-mailing .
In making the request for application, provide name, address, and phone
number. Some benefits obtained by becoming a CPS member a

Canon USA will loan equipment while equipment is being repaired.
Upon request, Canon will mail replacement equipment to be used
and in return, the requester will have to mail back the equipment
needing repair. Upon completion of the repair, Canon will mail back to
the sender the repaired unit and the loaned equipment must be mailed
back to Canon. Specifically, for those having a faulty BG-E2 battery
grip and battery magazine, Canon will mail a new grip and battery
magazine with the expectation of the faulty grip and magazine being sent
back to Canon.

Canon USA will provide financial assistance in procuring equipment.
Need credit in buying Canon equipment? Canon will provide what
you need to get what you want.

CPS members are kept informed of new advancements in equipment made by
Canon which may be readily available to CPS members.

Note: These services are only available through Canon USA to CPS members
who are residents in the USA.

Old July 27th 05, 12:48 AM
Dave R knows who

"nick c" wrote in message
Alan Browne wrote:
[...]

I had always wondered and never found out: any charge for this? I've got a
1D already... maybe I can find an old 1v lying around somewhere. :-)

Old July 27th 05, 03:49 AM
nick c

Dave R knows who wrote:
"nick c" wrote in message

Alan Browne wrote:

[...]

Hi Dave,

Nothing about a membership fee was mentioned. However, as I was being
advised as to the best procedure for having my BG-E2 looked at and
repaired, if necessary, during the conversation I had the impression
there was no fee connected with the CPS service. There's a roster of CPS
members that Canon keeps on file and keeps updated on new Canon equipment.

When I was told CPS was a service provided to pros who use Canon
equipment, I mentioned I was not a pro but considered myself as one who,
when the mood strikes me, is serious about photography as a hobby.
"Doesn't matter. You have the required equipment therefore you qualify,"
the man said. Then I e-mailed for an application and thought about
informing this group of what may be available from Canon USA subject to
qualification.

If Canon's system works like other systems I've encountered, I think
when a request is made for loan equipment prior to sending the equipment
needing repair back to Canon, the requester would need to provide a
credit card number for Canon to bill to should the requester default in
not sending Canon's equipment back to Canon. It would seem that way to
me since a credit card number would have to be provided anyway to get
repairs accomplished.