Carbon Fiber Tripod

Old December 10th 03, 03:49 AM
David

Default Carbon Fiber Tripod

Anyone have any suggestions? I need a small carbon fiber tripod. I've
looked on the net and found the usual:

Bogen, Gitzo, Slik, and one i've never heard of, Feisol I found on ebay. I
need a light and sturdy tripod for taking out to the far reaches of the
desert. I'm leaning towads the Gitzo.

thanks,
--
David
dba Full Moon Media- "The Full Solution to Your Image!"

Old December 10th 03, 06:57 AM
Jeff Keller

For a small tripod the weight difference between aluminum and carbon fiber
may not be very much. The leg locks on the carbon fiber tripods are a
significant part of the weight. Consider looking at a good light weight
tripod head with aluminum legs if you want a small tripod. The Acratech ball
head is very nice and possibly one of the lightest available.

The aluminum Gitzo 1126 for instance only weighs 3 lbs, is very compact when
stored, and is quite stable. For more stability the smallest leg segment can
be left un-extended and the center column only partially extended. I like to
carry it when I want something compact and know it won't have to look over
fences, bushes, and tall weeds. I often carry in around cities.

If you have a light weight full size tripod you will probably prefer it when
you don't know what to expect. I am more likely to take the carbon fiber
Gitzo 1227 which weighs 3.4 lbs but gives much more height when I am in the
wilderness.

The avid bird photographers generally use sturdier tripods but I find both
of these work well with a 400mm f4 lens with 1.4x tele-extender. The tripod
head is an important part of the stability.

-jeff
(wish my pictures were as good as yours)

Old December 13th 03, 01:31 AM
David

cool..i allready have an aluminium bogen that works just fine, I just need
to lighten my load and thought I lighter tripod might help, but I think
you're right, the head is probably my problem....that's a heavy
sucker.....i"ll look into your suggestion.....

thanks to all for the response!

david