MicroPress 4x5 question

Old November 1st 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Max Perl

Default MicroPress 4x5 question

On the MPP MicroPress 4x5 camera there is a FRONT - BACK switch. It seems
to be locked in the FRONT position but the FP shutter works fine
in this position and I am not able to move the switch to the BACK position.
Anybody knows the secret behind this switch?

The camera came with a Xenar 135/4.7 lens. Is this an OK performer?

I think I have the International Back version. What does this mean?
.....that many suppliers of rollfilm backs can be used on the camera?
.....e.g. a Horseman 6x9 back?

Max

Old November 2nd 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Max Perl" wrote

The camera came with a Xenar 135/4.7 lens. Is this an OK performer?

Variable, some are good, some not so good -- you would have to
test and make your own decision. Best performance will be at f22.

I think I have the International Back version. What does this mean?

Same as a "Graflok" back

....that many suppliers of rollfilm backs can be used on the camera?
....e.g. a Horseman 6x9 back?

Yes.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/index.htm

Old November 2nd 07, 07:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Max Perl

"Nicholas O. Lindan" skrev i en meddelelse
"Max Perl" wrote

The camera came with a Xenar 135/4.7 lens. Is this an OK performer?

Variable, some are good, some not so good -- you would have to
test and make your own decision. Best performance will be at f22.

I think I have the International Back version. What does this mean?

Same as a "Graflok" back

....that many suppliers of rollfilm backs can be used on the camera?
....e.g. a Horseman 6x9 back?

Yes.

OK! ......then I will go for such a back. The Horseman 6x9 has good film
flatness?
Probably not as good as LinHof backs but these I can't use I guess?

Old November 2nd 07, 08:55 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Peter

On Nov 2, 7:29 am, "Max Perl" wrote:
"Nicholas O. Lindan" skrev i en . ..

"Max Perl" wrote

The camera came with a Xenar 135/4.7 lens. Is this an OK performer?

Variable, some are good, some not so good -- you would have to
test and make your own decision. Best performance will be at f22.

I think I have the International Back version. What does this mean?

Same as a "Graflok" back

....that many suppliers of rollfilm backs can be used on the camera?
....e.g. a Horseman 6x9 back?

Yes.

OK! ......then I will go for such a back. The Horseman 6x9 has good film
flatness?
Probably not as good as LinHof backs but these I can't use I guess?

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/index.htm
n o lindan at ix dot netcom dot com- Hide quoted text -

The Horseman roll backs seem to be highly regarded. I also have an
MPP back that is pretty good.

Old November 2nd 07, 12:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Max Perl" wrote
I think I have the International Back version. What does this mean?

Same as a "Graflok" back
....that many suppliers of rollfilm backs can be used on the camera?
....e.g. a Horseman 6x9 back?

Yes.

OK! ......then I will go for such a back. The Horseman 6x9 has good film
flatness?
Probably not as good as LinHof backs but these I can't use I guess?

You can use Linhof. Be sure to get the model for 4x5. 6x9 roll adapters
also come in a form to fit 6x9 cameras - this is what you don't want.

The type you want will be a roll film back attached to a 5x6" plate.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/7...m_Holders.html

Old November 2nd 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Max Perl

"Peter" skrev i en meddelelse
ps.com...
On Nov 2, 7:29 am, "Max Perl" wrote:
"Nicholas O. Lindan" skrev i en
. ..

"Max Perl" wrote

[...]

OK......of course I could go for an original MPP back. I was just thinking
they were
difficult to get.......

Old November 2nd 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Max Perl

"Nicholas O. Lindan" skrev i en meddelelse
"Max Perl" wrote
I think I have the International Back version. What does this mean?
Same as a "Graflok" back
....that many suppliers of rollfilm backs can be used on the camera?
....e.g. a Horseman 6x9 back?
Yes.

OK! ......then I will go for such a back. The Horseman 6x9 has good film
flatness?
Probably not as good as LinHof backs but these I can't use I guess?

You can use Linhof. Be sure to get the model for 4x5. 6x9 roll adapters
also come in a form to fit 6x9 cameras - this is what you don't want.

The type you want will be a roll film back attached to a 5x6" plate.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/7...m_Holders.html

--

Thank you!
Now I know a bit more of the LF world :-)

Old November 2nd 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Thor Lancelot Simon

In article ,
Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
"Max Perl" wrote

The camera came with a Xenar 135/4.7 lens. Is this an OK performer?

Variable, some are good, some not so good -- you would have to
test and make your own decision. Best performance will be at f22.

To emphasize what Nicholas said, the major problem with older Schneider
lenses is that their quality control was terrible until some time in the
1960s (a rough estimate of my own; Richard may know more precisely). The
basic design is fine though in general a higher-end example of this same
design type (such as a Kodak Ektar) would probably perform better and not
cost much to acquire.

The high-end Schneider lens for press cameras was the Xenotar, but even
with those (which have a much more complex design which should offer
considerably better performance at wide apertures than the Xenar) there
is the curse of inconsistent Schneider quality control for most of the
press-camera era. If you are in love with your press camera and want
the best lens money can buy, there is a very rare 135mm Zeiss Planar
(a few were even made with modern "T*" multicoating) that is the ne plus
ultra of press lenses, but you could literally buy twenty press cameras
on eBay for what it is likely to cost if you can find one.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to
be abandoned or transcended, there is no problem." - Noam Chomsky
Old November 2nd 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Max Perl

"Thor Lancelot Simon" skrev i en meddelelse
Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
"Max Perl" wrote

[...]

It was just for fun I purchased this camera.......as I got it for about $150
with
lens. It has a FP shutter which makes it suitable to use with lenses with no
shutter. The lens plate seems also to be quite simple. But I will try the
135/4.7
Xenar and see how it performs. The LF Nikkors are not to bad I think.....
I am interrested in photo history and I never heard about the english MPP
company before I got this camera. The FP shutter they used looks identical
to some used on Graflex cameras. 4x5" FP shutter........never heard about
this before either.

Old November 2nd 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

"Max Perl" wrote in message
On the MPP MicroPress 4x5 camera there is a FRONT - BACK
switch. It seems to be locked in the FRONT position but
the FP shutter works fine
in this position and I am not able to move the switch to
the BACK position. Anybody knows the secret behind this
switch?

The camera came with a Xenar 135/4.7 lens. Is this an OK
performer?

I think I have the International Back version. What does
this mean? ....that many suppliers of rollfilm backs can
be used on the camera? ....e.g. a Horseman 6x9 back?

Max

If the switch is like the one on the Speed Graphic you
have to push it in a bit to unlock it. See if that works.

--
---
Richard Knoppow