Disappointed in Canon G9 (no 28mm)

Old August 20th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Nushar

Default Disappointed in Canon G9 (no 28mm)

I was intrigued by the G9 announcement. I was hoping for a redesign of
G7 that would include 28mm. For me, no wide angle is a deal breaker.
Otherwise addition of RAW and $100 price drop is nice. The bump from
10MP to 12MP is usual meaningless gimmick.

OH well, still no p&s camera which covers 28-200 and permits meaningful
user control of exposure and focus.

--
Z (Remove all XX, YY, ZZ)

Old August 20th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Kalinka

On 20 Aug, 22:03, "Gordon Emery" wrote:
What about Fuji 6000 fd? Does 28-300."Nushar" wrote in message

I was intrigued by the G9 announcement. I was hoping for a redesign of
G7 that would include 28mm. For me, no wide angle is a deal breaker.
Otherwise addition of RAW and $100 price drop is nice. The bump from
10MP to 12MP is usual meaningless gimmick.

OH well, still no p&s camera which covers 28-200 and permits meaningful
user control of exposure and focus.

--
(Remove all XX, YY, ZZ)

and what about Olympus 550 ? does 28-504.

Old August 20th 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
just bob

"Nushar" wrote in message
I was intrigued by the G9 announcement. I was hoping for a redesign of
G7 that would include 28mm. For me, no wide angle is a deal breaker.
Otherwise addition of RAW and $100 price drop is nice. The bump from
10MP to 12MP is usual meaningless gimmick.

OH well, still no p&s camera which covers 28-200 and permits meaningful
user control of exposure and focus.

I read where some people on dpreview were impressed with having RAW again.
Big deal: focal range and speed still stinks.

Old August 20th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Nushar

: What about Fuji 6000 fd? Does 28-300.

Lacks Image Stabilization and at 25 oz is too heavy. The 8000 fd is
better with IS and 18 oz, but still not my dream travel camera.

: and what about Olympus 550 ? does 28-504.

All of these are basically SLR-like and way too big. On paper at least,
the least unappealing is Panasonic Lumix FZ-18 at 14oz, but I am yet to
see/handle one.

Among p&s of manageable size, the best compromises appear to be
Lumix TZ-3 (no manual control) and LX2 (limited telephoto).

So, I'll have to decide which feature to give up: size (FZ-18), manual
control (tz-3), telephoto (lx-2). If it is telephoto I decide to give
up, then I'd also investigate the Ricoh models that start at 24mm.

Frankly, I am rather disgusted that with so many companies flooding the
market with so many models that they must be running out of model
numbers, they have all decided not to offer a single model that will
appeal to a serious hobbyist like me.

--
Z (Remove all XX, YY, ZZ)
Old August 20th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Nushar

just bob kilbyfan@aoldotcom wrote:

: I read where some people on dpreview were impressed with having RAW again.
: Big deal: focal range and speed still stinks.

Agreed. Although some will appreciate RAW and price drop is nice, this
is basically a gimmicky upgrade. I'll pass.

--
Z (Remove all XX, YY, ZZ)
Old August 21st 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
David J. Littleboy

"Nushar" wrote:
I was intrigued by the G9 announcement. I was hoping for a redesign of
G7 that would include 28mm. For me, no wide angle is a deal breaker.

Yep. If it can't do this

http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/79930134/large

it's a really poor excuse for a camera.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old August 21st 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
peter

"Nushar" wrote in message

So, I'll have to decide which feature to give up: size (FZ-18), manual
control (tz-3), telephoto (lx-2). If it is telephoto I decide to give
up, then I'd also investigate the Ricoh models that start at 24mm.

Kodak used to have a P880 that has 24mm. Canon S80 and SD800 have 28mm
lense. Many panasonic have 28mm lenses but they seldom top the camera review
charts.

Frankly, I am rather disgusted that with so many companies flooding the
market with so many models that they must be running out of model
numbers, they have all decided not to offer a single model that will
appeal to a serious hobbyist like me.

Me too. For travel I'd like to have a compact size camera with 28mm to 100mm
zoom, full manual controls, and uses AA batteries. No such thing.

Old August 21st 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Newbie

peter wrote:

: Me too. For travel I'd like to have a compact size camera with
: 28mm to 100mm zoom, full manual controls, and uses AA
: batteries. No such thing.

I see what you mean. With Li-ion rather than AA, you would have a
couple decent choices, but not exactly what you want. As the previous
poster said that is pretty disgusting when you consider how many
manufacturers are flooding the market with how many near-identical
models.