getting medium format quality to my photo printer

Old January 24th 05, 12:05 AM
Snapshotsid

Default getting medium format quality to my photo printer

I'm not even sure how to ask this question but....I would like to know how I
can take advantage of medium format quality when I convert it to a digital
file. Obviously there are no digital cameras with large format that anyone can
afford....so...what do I do? Just scan the high quality photo I get from a
medium format negative.....and if I do, how do I translate that high
quality/resolution into a high quality digital file? Or put another way, would
I get just as good quality from say, the 8 megapixil Nikon camera? If anyone
understands this question, please help ok? Thanks
Old January 24th 05, 01:28 AM
Dr. Georg N.Nyman

Snapshotsid wrote:
I'm not even sure how to ask this question but....I would like to know how I
can take advantage of medium format quality when I convert it to a digital
file. Obviously there are no digital cameras with large format that anyone can
afford....so...what do I do? Just scan the high quality photo I get from a
medium format negative.....and if I do, how do I translate that high
quality/resolution into a high quality digital file? Or put another way, would
I get just as good quality from say, the 8 megapixil Nikon camera? If anyone
understands this question, please help ok? Thanks

My approach is that I take medium format images and then scan them with
a Nikon Coolscan 8000ED at max. resolution. This is good enough for most
work, but if I want really good prints, I go to a friend who owns a
Heidelberg drum scanner and do the work there. The files are large ( up
to several hundred MB per shot ) but it is worth the effort...
And to answer the second part of your question - a Nikon 8Mpx camera is
very fine and gives excellent images but if you print at a size of 13x19
or 17x25 or larger, you see the difference very clearly.
Rgds George
Old February 5th 05, 02:43 AM
tangent

I agree.
Some places I go to scan at 1gig and up to 3gig. That's not sized up,
that's pure mega fine drum scan. The more pixels you can scan off the
film the bigger you can enlarge and still maintain 300dpi resolution.
Of course if you're not using 50asa, even 6x4.5cm get's a bit grainy at
that size.
Cheers