lens repair

Old May 15th 14, 08:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Hare-Scott

Default lens repair

I was working with an add-on +3 dioptre magnifying lens, the kind that screw
on like a filter, and dropped it. The lens came out of its mount but to my
surprise neither the mount nor the lens itself were damaged.

I found the retaining spring on the floor and worked out which way the lens
went into the mount, it sits against a flange with the retainer on top in a
slot inside the rim of the mount. I then set about replacing the retainer
on top, it is roughly a circle of thin springy metal that has been cut.

I tried putting one end in first and then working around to the other end
but each time, no matter how hard I pushed it into the slot in the mount,
when I got to the other end about 1mm was left overlapping. I tried pushing
the two ends in opposite directions so that they would slide past each other
down together into the slot. I tried putting the two ends in first and
working the curve into the slot, hoping that it would pop inside the rim.
Nothing worked. Clearly as it came out of the slot there must be a way to
get it in. In the end I gave up and cut 1mm off the spring. The lens is
now fine.

Is there some way a normal tool-using human can get this retaining ring in
or do you require special tools?

David

Old May 15th 14, 04:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wally

On Thu, 15 May 2014 17:18:17 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

[...]

Heheh, I've had a similar situation once. An interesting puzzle.

I think the only way to get it in without modifying it is to put the
ends in first and then force the rest of the circle into the groove. I
can't say how you do that without the retaining spring jumping out at
the last moment. It will depend on your exact situation.

Clipping a millimeter off solves the problem for now, but increases
the chance the retaining spring will come out again some time in the
future.

You could put a drop of white glue on it to make it more secure. If
you ever do need to remove it, white glue will soften in water.

Old May 16th 14, 12:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Hare-Scott

wrote:

[...]

White glue = PVA, commonly used to glue wood and paper?

Old May 16th 14, 07:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wally

wrote:

[...]

There are many varieties. The kind I happen to have is Elmer's
Glue-All. Carpenter's Glue is basically the same but is yellowish.

This is not an intended use (best use is porous surfaces). But I break
rules. In the olden days I used it to mount carefully-cut parts of
plastic eyeglass lenses to my viewfinders to give fully corrected
views with my glasses off. Adhesion was weak but satisfactory. The
lenses could easily be removed, and left no mark on the camera. I also
used it to secure a couple of set screws on a shaft. The glue jams the
threads, effectively preventing the screws from working loose (which
they did constantly before).

So I think it should help to hold the ring. Crazy Glue would be more
secure, but would be hard to impossible to remove afterwards.

Either way it's your risk!

Canon lens repair [email protected] Digital SLR Cameras 5 January 11th 07 11:44 PM
HELP...lens repair Barry Digital SLR Cameras 4 October 6th 06 03:54 AM
Repair lens MikeM 35mm Photo Equipment 2 April 6th 05 12:31 AM
Old Bronica S lens repair? EZela57383 Medium Format Photography Equipment 1 March 24th 04 04:08 AM