Looking for advice on new Camera

Old October 6th 07, 07:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
[email protected]

Default Looking for advice on new Camera

Re-post from rec.photo.digital

Hi, I am a casual photographer (family, kids, etc). I have owned
several digatal cameras, all Canon - A75, A85, A530. I am looking for
some advice on my next purchase. But first my preferences.

1) I usually just take pictures, maybe I will make a photo compilation
CD or do some basic editing (contrast, red-eye, crop) and store or
print them for family. Occasionlly, I have made a photo collage or
other craft with the basic HP software that came with my printer or
the Canon software. I do not use any high end tools (i.e. Adobe
photoshop) or any sophisticated work with the photos. Usually, it is
point, shoot, sort, select, crop, color/exposure/red-eye... and then
print or make a slide show. Thats it. Photos are a mix of indoors
and outdoors. My favorite subjects are my 1 and 3 yr old daughters.

2) I like the form factor of the Canon A series. I have used smaller
compact and subcompact ones... they are too small for me... can't hold
them well.. push the wrong buttons, not stable enough etc. I also do
not like the bigger ones, because no chance they fit in a hip
pocket... this size is JUST right. The shots look great, good color,
good exposure, little effort to look to be a way better photographer
than I am. I also like the menus and the scene modes... they are easy
to use and useful to me. I do not know how to use manual modes
properly so they are not terribly important... if only I had time to
learn...

3) The A75 was my first camera and I loved it, I took great pictures,
depite only 3 MP, was fine for me. I even won a photo contest with a
photo of my daughter and they professionally processed the photo and
the 16 x 20 hanging on the wall looks pretty good to me (I am not an
expert by any means). When it came time to replace it (I dropped it),
I went for the A85 and was relatively happy.... but it seemed that the
shots weren't quite as good. I think I had to tweak exposure and even
color more...

4) I ended up giving the A85 to my dad as a present thinking I could
get the A75 fixed... not easy locally. So I decided to by new... more
MP sounded better... so after some looking I decided on the A530... 4x
zoom sounded good.. I have been somewhat disappointed... mostly
because you have to wait on that camera... wait when you turn it on,
wait between flash shots, wait to lock in focus, wait wait wait. It
still takes pretty good pictures, but I am not sure as good as my
A75... seeming exposure and color issues, less focus, boy I wish that
A75 still worked so I could do a real comparison.

5) I bought the A530 at a local big box store because they were
running a sale that matched the best internet price and that way I
could touch and feel.. When I bought the A530, the salesman offered
me a 1 year no questions asked "guarantee." Bring it in anytime
within 1 year for any reason and get a new one or **if that one is not
available** get store credit towards a new one. Well it sounded to me
like a cheap trade-in plan.... no way the A530 will still be sold by
them 1 yr later... Well, now is the time. The 1 year expires in 2
weeks, so I am going to get a new camera. I will get about $130 store
credit. So this leads to my question...

Where do I go from he

Comfortabley, I could stay with Canon and go to an A560 for about
$15... get 7 MP, face recognition and cut those wait times almost in
half. Or I could upgrade to the A630 for about $100-$120, get more
modes and 8 MP, or go to the A570IS for about $60-80 and get the image
stabilization.... or I could leave the Canon camp... but where to go.
I am willing to spend the $100 or so if I know I will get something
much better (tangible) for me... not more than that. I am limited to
models that this store has in stock to use the $130 credit... so it
has to be a pretty common one.

I am interested in all possible advice or feedback... especially if
you have the A530 or one of the ones I am thinking of getting.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Dylan