EOS300D -Images disappear...

Old November 9th 04, 07:52 PM
Mike King

"Tom Phillips" wrote in message
Try using film. Latent images never disappear and
there's no storage card to go bad.

Yeah, and none of us have ever put the fixer in the tank before the
developer or mis-processed our film any other way! And the Post Office has
never lost a roll sent out for processing. And the lab has never had a bad
day and no one has ever walked into the darkroom when the tech was loading
film and ...

It's a good idea to back yourself up when shooting any life critical images.
The price of digital is high but no higher than buying a second Hasselblad
or F-5 if shooting a once in a lifetime event. Or if charging for your
services. The way I sort the amateurs from the pros at events is look for
the guy with one VERY expensive camera--he's the amateur. The pro will have
several beat up crappy cameras and come home with the goods.

--
darkroommike

Old November 10th 04, 02:36 AM
Uranium Committee

"traction" wrote in message k...
Any ideas why one just one occasion (out of hundreds use) some images
'dissappear' from the memory card. I make a point of never deleting images
using the camera delete option (its only a extra keypress on a small screen
to delete ALL) , but some important images dissapeared between being shot,
(visible on the built-in screen) and presumably hitting the memory. That day
the camera was turned off and on many times, so it was reset frequently, and
yet images from five small shooting sessions dissappeared. I did try to use
image recovery software, but as I continued to use the camera, (and filled
the card) and evidence of the images went too.
I can't repeat this, and its only happened once, but it reduces confidence.
I have experienced on a couple of occassions, 'lock-up' where when switching
the camera on, it hasn't initialised correctly, and whilst the display is
then operational, its not possible to shoot images. Turn off, turn on again
and alls fine. I guess that may be 'heat' during summer outdoor use (which
incedentally is where nearly all photography takes place for me).
Has anyone experienced 'image loss' or 'lock up' , what's the cause, or is
it me.?

Use film, moron!

Old November 10th 04, 06:31 AM
Tom Phillips

Mike King wrote:

"Tom Phillips" wrote in message
Try using film. Latent images never disappear and
there's no storage card to go bad.

Yeah, and none of us have ever put the fixer in the tank before the
developer or mis-processed our film any other way!

Well, not me, anyway... :-)

And the Post Office has
never lost a roll sent out for processing.

Had them lose a bank check once (for $6K) but never film.
Anyway I'd recommend fed ex over the USPS...

And the lab has never had a bad
day and no one has ever walked into the darkroom when the tech was loading
film and ...

Suppose that depends on the quality of the lab and
employees (i.e., a sober employee is a competent one...)

It's a good idea to back yourself up when shooting any life critical images.
The price of digital is high but no higher than buying a second Hasselblad
or F-5 if shooting a once in a lifetime event. Or if charging for your
services. The way I sort the amateurs from the pros at events is look for
the guy with one VERY expensive camera--he's the amateur. The pro will have
several beat up crappy cameras and come home with the goods.

Can't argue with that. Only caveat is I have lots of
images where the situation or lighting only allowed
for one exposure.
Old November 10th 04, 10:06 PM
Frank Pittel

Mike King wrote:
: ...
:

: Yeah, and none of us have ever put the fixer in the tank before the
: developer or mis-processed our film any other way! And the Post Office has
: never lost a roll sent out for processing. And the lab has never had a bad
: day and no one has ever walked into the darkroom when the tech was loading
: film and ...

Reminds me of a couple of weeks ago I brought a few rolls of film to a local
camera store for processing. They have a mini-lab in the back and I wanted the
one hour processing. I came back two hours later and was told that they "lost"
my film.

-------------------

Old November 10th 04, 10:55 PM
Tom Phillips

Frank Pittel wrote:

Mike King wrote:
: "Tom Phillips" wrote in message
: ...
: Try using film. Latent images never disappear and
: there's no storage card to go bad.
:

: Yeah, and none of us have ever put the fixer in the tank before the
: developer or mis-processed our film any other way! And the Post Office has
: never lost a roll sent out for processing. And the lab has never had a bad
: day and no one has ever walked into the darkroom when the tech was loading
: film and ...

Reminds me of a couple of weeks ago I brought a few rolls of film to a local
camera store for processing. They have a mini-lab in the back and I wanted the
one hour processing. I came back two hours later and was told that they "lost"
my film.

What else would you expect?