[SI] On The Road - 'duck Comments

Old August 23rd 12, 05:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

Default [SI] On The Road - 'duck Comments

On 2012-08-20 19:06:41 -0700, PeterN said:

On 8/20/2012 8:12 PM, Savageduck wrote:
‘Duck comments:

snip

Peter Newman:
On-Road-01:
Nice rail car (caboose I suspect) on the railroad, but the contrast and
saturation seems to be a tad over cranked to me.

And deliberately so. I was trying to make a statement about the garish
lifestyle that existed for many in the days of the caboose.

OK! I'll buy that.

On-Road-02:
Nice image, but this time I have different issues. I know the D300 can
perform better than that at ISO 800. There is too much noise and I am
not sure if that is ISO 800 noise(which I doubt) or over sharpening in
post. If ISO 800 noise, the noise reduction in ACR works very well now.
If due to over sharpening, well shame on you.

I guess my eyes are getting old. I was playing with a new method of
sharpening.

High Pass?

When I get some time I would probably redo this image as a low-key
soft focus presentation.

Hey! If you send me the NEF or an unaltered jpeg(dropbox link) via
email, I might have an idea or two to deal with the noise and sharpen.

Check your email:

Got it!
Results to follow.
....but now I understand the problem you were trying to fix. My solution
might be a little different.

Savageduck

Old August 23rd 12, 06:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN

On 2012-08-20 19:06:41 -0700, PeterN
said:

[...]

I may have sent the wrong RAW file, but they were all taken about the
same time.

--
Peter
Old August 23rd 12, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-08-23 07:24:52 -0700, PeterN said:

Hey! If you send me the NEF or an unaltered jpeg(dropbox link) via
email, I might have an idea or two to deal with the noise and sharpen.

Check your email:

Got it!
Results to follow.
...but now I understand the problem you were trying to fix. My solution
might be a little different.

I may have sent the wrong RAW file, but they were all taken about the
same time.

If you have one that is in focus I might have to revise what I just posted.

Savageduck