Cleaning white powder left behind by leaking batteries

Old October 23rd 12, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Default Cleaning white powder left behind by leaking batteries

On 2012.10.22 20:08 , wrote:
On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 16:59:20 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

On 2012.10.21 22:21 ,
wrote:

DON'T use any liquid cleaner to clean up!

BZZT: use vinegar to neutralize the alkaline once most of the crud has
been removed.

It's very dangerous to use liquids on electronics if you aren't prepared to
totally open the device if you spill liquid inside. If you can remove all the
powder using dry techniques, there is no reason to neutralize what isn't there!
Remember, the acid cleaner is just as dangerous as the original chemical spill,
even the fumes can corrode. Since I don't know the OP's skill level, but suspect
it isn't technician level, I would suggest caution.

Wetting a toothbrush with vinegar is not going to result in much
moisture in the unit - but it will neutralize the alkali - which left
behind remains corrosive (hint: can't be removed with "dry" techniques
unless you remove the metal of the contacts).

And after application, appropriate wiping and drying time results in a
dry usable unit.

I've done this half a dozen times or so. No problems.

--
"There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."

Old October 24th 12, 01:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 17:57:52 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

On 2012.10.22 20:08 , wrote:
On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 16:59:20 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

On 2012.10.21 22:21 ,
wrote:

DON'T use any liquid cleaner to clean up!

BZZT: use vinegar to neutralize the alkaline once most of the crud has
been removed.

It's very dangerous to use liquids on electronics if you aren't prepared to
totally open the device if you spill liquid inside. If you can remove all the
powder using dry techniques, there is no reason to neutralize what isn't there!
Remember, the acid cleaner is just as dangerous as the original chemical spill,
even the fumes can corrode. Since I don't know the OP's skill level, but suspect
it isn't technician level, I would suggest caution.

Wetting a toothbrush with vinegar is not going to result in much
moisture in the unit

"much" being relative...

- but it will neutralize the alkali - which left
behind remains corrosive (hint: can't be removed with "dry" techniques
unless you remove the metal of the contacts).

I'd say if the contacts are that far gone they won't be usable, and need
replacing.

And after application, appropriate wiping and drying time results in a
dry usable unit.

I've done this half a dozen times or so. No problems.

I did it every day for 10 years or more... but anyway, it depends on the skill
of the perpetrator as well as the actual battery compartment. Some, if not most,
cameras have a deep recess where it's difficult to get at. Applying liquid with
a brush could easily have it run down the wires into the camera, where it ends
up no one knows. Unlike the average consumer, I could remove the parts for a
more thorough cleaning. I would never tell amateurs to use liquid acid on their
cameras! Who knows how sloppy people can be!

Anyway, if you can guarantee not to ruin the camera, your method would work.
Maybe if you see any holes around the area you could plug them up first.

Old October 26th 12, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 2012.10.24 19:58 , wrote:
On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 17:37:31 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

On 2012.10.23 20:10 ,
wrote:

more thorough cleaning. I would never tell amateurs to use liquid acid on their
cameras! Who knows how sloppy people can be!

Vinegar is about 2% acid. Pretty mild.

Now I'm curious... did you ever leave batteries too long in a camera?

Not in cameras. But that wouldn't change how I cleaned the compartment.
I've left them in a variety of widgets from Walkman tape players to
other things. But most of the cleaning has been when friends/family did
the same and a little TLC (and vinegar) restored the device to full
function. Though in that there were a couple unsalvageables (or not
worth the bother).

I once made a real mess in an old voltmeter... was SURE I removed the batts!

I'm bad with that. Usually I remove them after I come across something
and then remove the batts. Usually no issue. I haven't had an alkaline
burst in years (KOW).

BTW: What happened to your worldwide walk in Hudson?

Old October 26th 12, 02:56 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 19:15:18 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

On 2012.10.24 19:58 , wrote:
On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 17:37:31 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

On 2012.10.23 20:10 ,
wrote:

[...]

I didn't feel up to going to Hudson... would prefer a closer location, also
would really prefer the summertime!

You said you might arrange one next year up around Ste Therese or somewhere?
That I might go to... my nephew lives up there near the 640 and the 25 I think
it is... he's a part time wedding photographer. He might be interested as
well...