B&H appreciation

Old April 5th 05, 05:43 PM
Ron

Default B&H appreciation

So, this morning I decided, after a lot of reading and proscratination,
to purchase an Oly e-300. My side business requires a bit more ISO and
quicker shutter release than my 5060 and so I called B&H, which was
offering what looked like a good price. I'd never purchased from them
before, but they have a fine reputation and I needed a company that
could assure overnight delivery because I'm going on a trip later in the
week and want to bring the camera with me.

My call was answered almost immediately and the friendly sales person
asked if I wanted the camera with the kit lens or without the lens
(fifty dollar difference). When I said I didn't know it was available
without the kit and asked him what the options were he explained there
was a similar Oly lens available for about $400 dollars. When I asked
him if the $350 was worth it in terms of his knowledge of Oly products,
his response was that from everything he had heard both lenses were
excellent and he personally wouldn't make the extra investment until
such time as I knew more about my needs, etc. When he asked if I needed
any other accessories I said I was pretty well equiped with Oly stuff.
He asked if I wanted an extended warranty and told him I was purchasing
with a platinum card that would extend the warranty another year, we had
a short chat about how in two years I'd probably be ready to move on and
he agreed. He quickly completed the transaction. No high pressure, no
effort to sell me a different focal length lens as an add-on, all done
in a couple of minutes....

Of course, the 'higher grade' Zuiko may be a 'better lens', but at this
point I might not appreciate or need it (many reviews liked the kit
lens) . I just found this to be a somewhat extraordinary response and
thought I would pass it on given the rotten experience many have had
with New York retailers..

Incidentally, I also ordered from Stephen Gandy a K to Oly E series
adapter to accomodate various Pentax prime and zoom lenses. I'd
appreciate any feedback on what to expect, especially from a 4/3 sensor.
Given the relatively low price of the camera I figure I have little to
lose. Oh, and does anyone know if Oly will give me an O series adapter?
They had been doing that for awhile.

Old April 5th 05, 11:06 PM
Michael Meissner

Ron writes:

Incidentally, I also ordered from Stephen Gandy a K to Oly E series adapter
to accomodate various Pentax prime and zoom lenses. I'd appreciate any
feedback on what to expect, especially from a 4/3 sensor. Given the
relatively low price of the camera I figure I have little to lose. Oh, and
does anyone know if Oly will give me an O series adapter? They had been doing
that for awhile.

Mine just came in the mail yesterday, though I haven't tried it out yet (note,
I have an E-1, but I believe Olympus will mail out one adaptor for either
camera). I assume you know that using such adaptors means the lens is manual
focus only, you must shoot in stop down metering mode, and the crop factor
gives a field of view 2x what a 35mm would have (ie, a 50mm lens becomes
100mm).

--
Michael Meissner
email:

Old April 5th 05, 11:07 PM
PTravel

"Ron" wrote in message
[...]

I've had a similar experience with B&H. I wanted a tele zoom for my Canon
10D. I happened to be in NY that week, so I went to their brick and mortar
store (an amazing place that's definitely worth a visit -- Disneyland for
cameras and video). I told the friendly sales person what I wanted, and he
asked me a few questions about the kind of photography that I did (strictly
amateur, prints to hang up in my office, that kind of thing). He
recommended a less expensive lens than I had originally intended to buy,
saying, for my purposes, it would yield just as good results and would save
me a couple of hundred dollars. I bought it, and he was right -- it's
perfect for my needs.

Over the years, I've bought many thousands of dollars worth of gear from
B&H, mostly mail order over the phone and, occassionally, through their
website. B&H is truly the Tiffany of camera dealers (but without Tiffany
prices). All businesses should aspire to their level of service and
integrity.

Old April 6th 05, 02:35 AM
Jer

PTravel wrote:

[....]

B&H is truly the Tiffany of camera dealers (but without Tiffany
prices). All businesses should aspire to their level of service and
integrity.

Not only do I agree with this sentiment, I also believe the reason for
B&H success is squarely rooted in their business policies - they're
square with their clients and they're square with themselves. I suppose
I'm not surprised their storefront resembles Tiffany's, while the bottom
feeders around the corner resemble Super Fund sites - both are what they
are for all the right reasons.

[....]

--
jer