need help identify an old Rolleiflex

Old February 16th 04, 12:28 PM
Ray

Default need help identify an old Rolleiflex

Don't know if this is the right place, but have to start somewhere g

I've got this camera from my grandfather... but I've not been able to track
any info about it... he picked it up in Germany in the 40's sometime...

I took a few photos and made a little web album... here's the link

http://www.upthecoulee.org/rolleiflex3p5/Page.html

the serial number is 134720 .. at least I think that's the serial number...
it's the center photo in the top row of the first page... click to get a
bigger image...

appreciate any help on this....

Ray

Old February 16th 04, 03:32 PM
Bill Mcdonald

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 06:28:32 -0600, "Ray" wrote:
Hi Ray,

I looked this up in the most recent Mckeown's guide(11th edit.)
and it looks to be a Rolleiflex I, original(1929-32).However, the
guide says the lenses used on that camera were either Z.T. f4.5 or
"more often,f3.8/75mm lens". The serial # definitely matches this
model.

The lens pictured appears to be the one first introduced in the Old
Standard manufactured from 1932-38. Also (forgive me for not knowing
the exact name) as you look at the front of the camera, the front of
the viewfinder cover has the crosshairs design which was used on the
Old Standard.

My uneducated opinion is you have the Old Standard camera.

Thanks for your post, gave me a chance to use my new book;-)

Bill Mcdonald in Joshua Tree

Old February 16th 04, 05:39 PM
Eric

--

That looks like one of the first "Baby" rolleiflexes from around 1934.
It takes 4x4cm 127-format roll fillm, rather than 120 like the rest of

eric

Old February 16th 04, 08:43 PM
Ray

I'm actually thinking of selling this... got its original leather case...
the lens are clear, though of course I don't have anyway of running a roll
of film through it to test it but that said the things that should work all
seem to still click and wind and so on...

--
Ray

Old February 16th 04, 08:52 PM
jjs

"Ray" wrote in message
I'm actually thinking of selling this... got its original leather case...
the lens are clear, though of course I don't have anyway of running a roll
of film through it to test it

It's a 120 film camera, right? Shoot a roll! Take it to the drugstore or
instyprint.

Old February 16th 04, 09:41 PM
ray

jjs wrote:
"Ray" wrote in message

I'm actually thinking of selling this... got its original leather case...
the lens are clear, though of course I don't have anyway of running a roll
of film through it to test it

It's a 120 film camera, right? Shoot a roll! Take it to the drugstore or
instyprint.

Nope... it's a 127... and I don't get out much anymore...
Old February 16th 04, 10:01 PM
jjs

"ray" wrote in message
jjs wrote:
It's a 120 film camera, right? Shoot a roll! Take it to the drugstore or
instyprint.

Nope... it's a 127... and I don't get out much anymore...

ooooh. I understand. I have maybe a dozen rolls of 127 but I'm sure it's no
good anymore.

Old February 17th 04, 03:13 AM
Richard Knoppow

"Ray" wrote in message
Don't know if this is the right place, but have to start

somewhere g

I've got this camera from my grandfather... but I've not

been able to track
any info about it... he picked it up in Germany in the

40's sometime...

I took a few photos and made a little web album... here's

the link

http://www.upthecoulee.org/rolleiflex3p5/Page.html

the serial number is 134720 .. at least I think that's the

serial number...
it's the center photo in the top row of the first page...

click to get a
bigger image...

appreciate any help on this....

Ray

This is the first model of the 4x4 "Baby" Rolleiflex.
They were made from March, 1931 to January 1933. Serial
numbers run from 127,000 to 523,000 but this includes the
second model which was built from Febuary, 1933 to December,
1934. Two versions fo both models were built, one with an
f/3.5 Tessar, the other with an f/2.8 Tessar. This is
definitely the first version. The lens serial number in your
photo dates the lens from 1931, which is about right for the
camera serial number. The camera takes 127 size roll film
which is still available on special order. For some reason
someone has removed the paint from the finder panel, it
should be painted black with the lettering in aluminum.
This is still a useable camera. I have no idea what its
worth as a collector's item. Condition is everything for
collector cameras and this one looks a bit beat up.

--
---
Richard Knoppow