Can you hear me?

Old April 24th 08, 12:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Peter[_7_]

Default Can you hear me?

"Dudley Hanks" wrote in message
I'm trying a new feature on my site, and I'm wondering if someone might
take the time to drop by and test it for me.

http://www.geocities.com/hanks.dudley/index.html

Thanks,
Dudley

works fine tie I.E. 7.

I will not repeat the comments below.

--
Peter

Old April 24th 08, 03:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Jürgen Exner

"Dudley Hanks" wrote:
I'm trying a new feature on my site, and I'm wondering if someone might
take the time to drop by and test it for me.

http://www.geocities.com/hanks.dudley/index.html

I'm trying to figure out what browsers have problems with the sound, and

As for that: personal tastes vary but I for my part am very happy with
the blessed silence I am getting from Firefox.
Whenever a web page is blaring at me I hit the mute button on my
keyboard or most often just close the page to never come back. Same with
fancy flash animations (luckily Firefox can block).
This is one of those cases, where less is often more.

jue
Old April 24th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Ron Hunter

Jürgen Exner wrote:
"Dudley Hanks" wrote:
I'm trying a new feature on my site, and I'm wondering if someone might
take the time to drop by and test it for me.

http://www.geocities.com/hanks.dudley/index.html

I'm trying to figure out what browsers have problems with the sound, and

As for that: personal tastes vary but I for my part am very happy with
the blessed silence I am getting from Firefox.
Whenever a web page is blaring at me I hit the mute button on my
keyboard or most often just close the page to never come back. Same with
fancy flash animations (luckily Firefox can block).
This is one of those cases, where less is often more.

jue

Some people just LOVE to have loud music blast them out of their seats,
or strange noises assault their senses. I am NOT one of them, and ANY
site that produces sound without specifically being ASKED to do so will
find me scarce after the first couple of seconds.

I suggest that if your site plays sound, you ASK the user if he/she
wants sound, but default to SILENCE.
Old April 25th 08, 07:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Paul Furman

Dudley Hanks wrote:
"Jürgen Exner" wrote in message
"Dudley Hanks" wrote:
I'm trying a new feature on my site, and I'm wondering if someone might
take the time to drop by and test it for me.

http://www.geocities.com/hanks.dudley/index.html
I'm trying to figure out what browsers have problems with the sound, and

As for that: personal tastes vary but I for my part am very happy with
the blessed silence I am getting from Firefox.
Whenever a web page is blaring at me I hit the mute button on my
keyboard or most often just close the page to never come back. Same with
fancy flash animations (luckily Firefox can block).
This is one of those cases, where less is often more.

jue

For my purposes, I doubt I'll go the flash route; I'm having enough trouble
mastering html -- although, I might try a bit of javascript if I can find a
book that scans properly.

Regarding background sounds, I've heard the message "loud and clear" from
you and others that I should tie it to a button. I will do that in upcoming
versions of the site.

I find it interesting, though, that firefox doesn't play mp3s. Is it
because of a setting that the user selects? Ie, does it block all sounds,
or does it just not play mp3s?

IE uses Microsoft html code which does not exist in the standard
specifications. Other browsers have no reason to haphazardly adopt stuff
that Microsoft invents. There are also some cases where IE is incapable
of reading standard html but normally there are ways to do what you want
by following the standards. Apparently bgsound
src="IntroMessage.mp3" is not the right way to add sound to a web site,
I'm not sure what is.

Some standard references:
http://edgehill.net/Misc/html-coding/reference
http://edgehill.net/Misc/html-coding

PS Would indenting the html help or hinder you in reading the coding for
the tables? The code is a LOT easier for me to read when indented but
maybe no help to you or not even practical.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old April 25th 08, 08:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

Ron Hunter wrote:
[]
Some people just LOVE to have loud music blast them out of their
seats, or strange noises assault their senses. I am NOT one of them,
and ANY site that produces sound without specifically being ASKED to
do so will find me scarce after the first couple of seconds.

Seconded - it's an immediate press of the Home or Back button if some
sound disturbs my environment!

David

Old April 27th 08, 11:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

"Jürgen Exner" wrote:

"Dudley Hanks" wrote:
I'm trying a new feature on my site, and I'm wondering if someone might
take the time to drop by and test it for me.

http://www.geocities.com/hanks.dudley/index.html

I'm trying to figure out what browsers have problems with the sound, and

As for that: personal tastes vary but I for my part am very happy with
the blessed silence I am getting from Firefox.
Whenever a web page is blaring at me I hit the mute button on my
keyboard or most often just close the page to never come back. Same with
fancy flash animations (luckily Firefox can block).
This is one of those cases, where less is often more.

jue

Hello, Jürgen:

I couldn't concur, more empahatically!

Cordially,