Mega pixel and print size and digital camera

Old October 16th 04, 10:48 PM
Jamie

Default Mega pixel and print size and digital camera

Hi There

Was wondering if anyone can give me any information regarding
Mega Pixels and print size.

what would be a good MP for 5 x 7 prints or something abit larger.
also optical zoom in the camera is important. 4 x and upwards
the more manual features the better.
DSLR is not an option.

Does anyone have any Digital camera recommendations.

Thanks in advance..

Jamie

Old October 16th 04, 11:04 PM
Gene Palmiter

Any number of pixels over 2 will do that. I like my Oly E-10...its not a new
camera any more and one like it might be had for a good price.

Old October 16th 04, 11:04 PM
GT40

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 23:48:12 +0200, "Jamie" wrote:

Hi There

Was wondering if anyone can give me any information regarding
Mega Pixels and print size.

what would be a good MP for 5 x 7 prints or something abit larger.
also optical zoom in the camera is important. 4 x and upwards
the more manual features the better.
DSLR is not an option.

Anything above 2MP for a 5x7
Old October 17th 04, 07:09 AM
Anna

Jamie,

You can good pix at 5x7 with 2 MP and above, though I would recommend
a 3 mp camera to give you room to grow. Depending on your budget,
check out these models for recommended digital cameras:

Canon PowerShot A70 -- an excellent 3.2 mp camera, runs on readily
available AA batteries, takes great pix. More info he
http://digital-camera.review-center....SIN=B00008OE5G

The PowerShot A60 is the 2 MP version, but it's only a bit less
expensive:
http://digital-camera.review-center....SIN=B00008OE46

I think the A70 is a great value. Anyway, check out the digital camera
recommendations here, based on what specific features you're looking
for:
http://www.Review-Center.com

-Anna

Old October 17th 04, 05:21 PM
Michael A. Covington

Here's a rule of thumb that is useful.

1 megapixel gives you 10 square inches of critically sharp print (at 316
dots per inch, which is sharper than almost all continuous-tone prints).

So a 10x10-inch print, critically sharp, would require 10 megapixels.

But you can generally get pictures that look sharp with half this
resolution, which is 1/4 the megapixels.

So a 10x10-inch print, sharp enough to look good, would require 2.5
megapixels.

In short -- Current cameras in the 4- to 6-megapixel range are sufficient.

--
Clear skies,

Michael A. Covington
www.covingtoninnovations.com/astromenu.html

Old October 18th 04, 12:40 AM
George E. Cawthon

You are getting some nonsense answers. just divide the pixel width
and lenght by 300 and you get the size print in inches that will yield
a print without loss of detail. Some say you can divide by 250 or
even 200, but many people will note quality changes using that
standard.

My Nikon 4300 manual gives the following recommendations for picture
sizes based on setting the camera for different pixel sizes. 2272
(4meg) is 7.5 x 5.5 in, 1600 (about 3 meg) is 5.5 x 4 in, and 1280
(about 2.1 meg) is 4.5 x 3 in. In actual practice a 4 meg will yield
a fairly good 8 x10 if well focused and exposed. a 3 meg camera will
give about a 5 x7 and a 2.1 meg will give a 3 x 5).

Check the nikons, my 4300 is 4 meg with lots of manual features. the
4100 and 4200 I belive have fewer manual features, but do not believe
what clerks tell you are what reviews select to report on. You really
need to look at the manual to see what the features the camera has.
You might also want to check the Kodaks which have a much larger LCD
screen.