At the airshow

Old May 31st 16, 11:45 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default At the airshow

On 2016-05-31 22:36:48 +0000, Alan Browne

On 2016-05-30 21:16:28 +0000, Alan Browne
said:

Take a closer look, that wing is not attached. I believe that is an
isolated

There is no way to tell if it is attached or not. What you think is
space between the wing and the a/c is the inside right of the canopy.

As I said, take a closer look. There is no way that space is the inside
right of the cockpit. In fact what we are seeing might not be in anyway
related to the cockpit display, just part of the junk pile behind it.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/PN-mystery.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfklplm4sgm1bp8/F-XX.jpg

1. On the left, in blue: the area on the left is a smooth curve. The
F-86 photo (red circle) shows a sharp angle. I've scoured F-86 photos
and can't find a smooth one anywhere.

2. On the right. The piece you outlined in red, is the same as the
piece I show in violet. (That said, Peter confirms the right wing was
detached).

I am pretty certain that A/C is either an F-86 variant, a P-80/F-80, or
at an outside possibility an FJ-(1,2,3,4).

Peter says the wing was swept. So not F-80. I also looked at others
and can't pin it.

My initial guess was an F-86, just can't find enough to confirm it and
a couple things ([1] above and no cockpit that corresponds even
closely), that say it ain't so.

Peter: can you contact the museum, e-mail them the photo and ask?

J. Clarke provided the answer, F-84E.
http://www.nationalcoldwarexhibition.org/images/collections/otheraircraft/republic-f84/BG_Thunderjet_l.jpg
http://www.williammaloney.com/aviation/AmericanAirPowerMuseum/RepublicF84Thunderjet/pages/09F84ThunderjetCockpit.htm

Savageduck

Old May 31st 16, 11:49 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-05-31 22:43:31 +0000, Alan Browne

On 2016-05-30 22:24:06 +0000, "J. Clarke" said:

F-84E. Once I figured out that it was a straight-wing F84, googling
found the same plane from the other side:
http://www.williammaloney.com/aviati...seum/RepublicF
84Thunderjet/pages/09F84ThunderjetCockpit.htm

The aircraft is at the American Airpower Museum in Farmingdale, NY,
where Republic used to be.

There you go! The mystery solved. We knew which museum it was, their web
site didn't have any information regarding any of their static displays.
I must admit I hadn't thought of the F-84.

There I was searching for a/c of the era and didn't spot the -84.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7m2lw2hsr...903d4e58_o.jpg

Is the detail I referred to on the 29th as being non F-86 ish.

Many thanks for solving that for us and preventing the three of us
embroiled in the ID debate from tearing ourselves apart. ;-)

Just sleuthing our way to the truth one nugget at a time.

With a bit of kicking it around the answer was delivered. ;-)

Savageduck

Old June 1st 16, 02:12 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2016-05-30 21:16:28 +0000, Alan Browne
said:

[...]

I plan. Within the next couple of weeks, to go back. But I will give
them a call.

--
PeterN