How can I remove all white pixels?

Old January 13th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.graphics.photoshop, adobe.photoshop.windows,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop
[email protected]

Default How can I remove all white pixels?

I am trying to remove all white pixels from a monochrome (black and
black) picture imported into Adobe Photoshop 5.0 LE. The magic wand
does not work because it removes contiguous pixels only. Is there any
way to remove all white pixels?
Old January 13th 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.graphics.photoshop, adobe.photoshop.windows,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop
Scott W

On Jan 13, 8:06*am, "
wrote:
I am trying to remove all white pixels from a monochrome (black and
black) picture imported into Adobe Photoshop 5.0 LE. The magic wand
does not work because it removes contiguous pixels only. Is there any
way to remove all white pixels?

There is a check box with the magic wand that turn on and off the
contiguous part of the operation.

Scott
Old January 13th 08, 10:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.graphics.photoshop, adobe.photoshop.windows,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop
[email protected]

"Fat Sam" wrote:

Now open the "select" menu and choose the "colour range" option.

Scott W wrote:

There is a check box with the magic wand that turn on and off the
contiguous part of the operation.

Scott

These options do not exist in my version of the Photoshop. (5.0 LE.) I
guess I should upgrade it.
Old January 13th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.graphics.photoshop, adobe.photoshop.windows,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop
Foto Trix

I use photoshop 6, I use the Remove Background button (hidden in the
eraser dropdown). I first resize the brush so big it covers
everything, then I just click on the color I want removed. You will
have to do some tweaking to get it to remove all the colors
continously (1st: noncontinuous, then other set to continuous). Not
the exact answer, but this is what I basically do to remove colors...

http://www.fototrix.com (mashup your photos online, add special
effects, frames and fun templates)
http://www.txt2pic.com
Old January 13th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.graphics.photoshop, adobe.photoshop.windows,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop
[email protected]

On Jan 13, 12:06 pm, "
wrote:
I am trying to remove all white pixels from a monochrome (black and
black) picture imported into Adobe Photoshop 5.0 LE. The magic wand
does not work because it removes contiguous pixels only. Is there any
way to remove all white pixels?

Hi,
One possibility is to:
Create a new layer of white with as much white as you want to remove.
For example, rgb=252,252,252 to get ride of the top three. Place this
layer above the image you want the white removed from and set the
blend mode to difference. The do ctrl+alt+shft+e to make a stamp of
that image. The use that stamp as a mask for the image.

Good luck,
Ron
Old January 13th 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.graphics.photoshop,adobe.photoshop.windows,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop
Mike Russell

wrote in message
I am trying to remove all white pixels from a monochrome (black and
black) picture imported into Adobe Photoshop 5.0 LE. The magic wand
does not work because it removes contiguous pixels only. Is there any
way to remove all white pixels?

Here's one way to select all the white pixels in Photoshop 5 LE. First copy
the image to the clipboard, then go into QuickMask mode, and paste the image
to the mask.

Use levels to set everything below 255 to zero, and everything above it to
255. Because of the way Levels is implemented, you will need to do two
repetitions of this in order to get absolutely every white pixel. Switch
from QuickMask back to normal mode, and pure white pixels will be selected.
You may use your favorite method is to get rid of them.

More than likely there are easier and better ways to do what you are trying
to do. Full Photoshop has the dust and scratches filter that will do this
quickly and easily. Polaroid supplies an excellent plugin and stand alone
utility that does this, and it's free:
http://www.polaroid.com/service/soft...r/poladsr.html

Both of these filters use what is called an "Impulse Filter", which removes
noise from an image by replacing the noise with averaged values from nearby
pixels. When using these filters, I find myself using the lasso tool to
select dust specks from the shadows, followed by a dose of dust and
scratches. This avoids degradation of detail in the lighter areas of the
image. If this is what you want to do, Polaroid's Dust and Scratches could
save some work.
--
Mike Russell - www.curvemeister.com

Old January 14th 08, 01:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.graphics.photoshop, adobe.photoshop.windows,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop
Nervous Nick

On Jan 13, 12:06 pm, "
wrote:
I am trying to remove all white pixels from a monochrome (black and
black) picture imported into Adobe Photoshop 5.0 LE. The magic wand
does not work because it removes contiguous pixels only. Is there any
way to remove all white pixels?

Turn off your monitor? ;)

--
YOP...
Old January 14th 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.graphics.photoshop,adobe.photoshop.windows, comp.graphics.apps.photoshop
ray

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 10:06:39 -0800, wrote:

I am trying to remove all white pixels from a monochrome (black and
black) picture imported into Adobe Photoshop 5.0 LE. The magic wand
does not work because it removes contiguous pixels only. Is there any
way to remove all white pixels?

I don't understand - what are you going to replace them with after you
remove them?