Epson print problem

Old August 5th 07, 01:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Conrad

Default Epson print problem

Hi,

I have an Epson Stylus Photo R380 printer. When printing Black and
White photos, 4x6 Best and 8x10 Draft and Standard - all come out
fine. However, when I print 8x10 at Best setting - there is a green
cast to the finished B&W print. I have tried several different ways of
doing the Best 8x10 printing with B&W - with no success - the green
cast is still there. I tried taking a B&W picture with camera setting
(no color involved), transfer to printer but still get the green cast
on 8x10 prints. I'm baffled and ready to deep 6 the printer. Any
suggestions appreciated.

Conrad

Old August 5th 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Paseur[_3_]

Conrad wrote in news:1186318534.605010.238750
@z24g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

Hi,

I have an Epson Stylus Photo R380 printer. When printing Black and
White photos, 4x6 Best and 8x10 Draft and Standard - all come out
fine. However, when I print 8x10 at Best setting - there is a green
cast to the finished B&W print. I have tried several different ways of
doing the Best 8x10 printing with B&W - with no success - the green
cast is still there. I tried taking a B&W picture with camera setting
(no color involved), transfer to printer but still get the green cast
on 8x10 prints. I'm baffled and ready to deep 6 the printer. Any
suggestions appreciated.

Conrad

Conrad, this sounds like there may be a color management workflow problem.
It happens when both the printer and the computer are trying to manage the
color. To say much more, you would need to tell us the program you're
using to run the printer, and some details like the kind of paper, etc. If
you don't know about color management, you might want to read up on it. Be
prepared to spend some time -- it's not a "quick fix" but it's the right
way to get your camera, monitor and printer all showing the same thing.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=color+management

HTH, Ray

Old August 5th 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim

"Conrad" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have an Epson Stylus Photo R380 printer. When printing Black and
White photos, 4x6 Best and 8x10 Draft and Standard - all come out
fine. However, when I print 8x10 at Best setting - there is a green
cast to the finished B&W print. I have tried several different ways of
doing the Best 8x10 printing with B&W - with no success - the green
cast is still there. I tried taking a B&W picture with camera setting
(no color involved), transfer to printer but still get the green cast
on 8x10 prints. I'm baffled and ready to deep 6 the printer. Any
suggestions appreciated.

Conrad

Why are didn't you turn off colors in the printer dialog. It seems to me
that what you are seeing is just another version of the complaint that Cyan
+ Yellow + Magenta does not
always equal Black. Left to its own devices, the printer driver will
attempt to use CMYK when it should
have used just K, and the results are quite often undesirable.

Jim

Old August 5th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eatmorepies

"Conrad" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have an Epson Stylus Photo R380 printer. When printing Black and
White photos, 4x6 Best and 8x10 Draft and Standard - all come out
fine. However, when I print 8x10 at Best setting - there is a green
cast to the finished B&W print. I have tried several different ways of
doing the Best 8x10 printing with B&W - with no success - the green
cast is still there. I tried taking a B&W picture with camera setting
(no color involved), transfer to printer but still get the green cast
on 8x10 prints. I'm baffled and ready to deep 6 the printer. Any
suggestions appreciated.

Possibly the printer defaults to 'black ink only mode' for those settings
where you get perfect black. If I let my Epson print B&W using all the
colour inks I usually get a greenish cast.

Work out how to set it to black ink only - possibly in the advanced
settings. The availability of black ink only can depend on the paper setting
you use. I always use heavy matt setting and can then get the black ink only
command.

I suggest using at least 1440 dpi in this setting.

John

Old August 6th 07, 06:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

are you using cs3? if so ...its having problems with epson printers
and we're all awaiting a fix ...

steve

Old August 6th 07, 08:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike Russell

Conrad wrote in news:1186318534.605010.238750
@z24g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

I have an Epson Stylus Photo R380 printer. When printing Black and
White photos, 4x6 Best and 8x10 Draft and Standard - all come out
fine. However, when I print 8x10 at Best setting - there is a green
cast to the finished B&W print. I have tried several different ways of
doing the Best 8x10 printing with B&W - with no success - the green
cast is still there. I tried taking a B&W picture with camera setting
(no color involved), transfer to printer but still get the green cast
on 8x10 prints. I'm baffled and ready to deep 6 the printer. Any
suggestions appreciated.

Hi Conrad,

Based on the fact that that 4x6's do not have the green cast, I'm going to
go out on a limb and say that this is a paper issue. Different papers
absorb the inks differently, and this changes the color. For example, it's
common to use Premium Glossy Photo Paper for 4x6 prints. This is a fairly
pricey paper, and I would not be surprised of you are using a third party
paper for your larger prints. If this is the case, try using Epson paper
and see if the problem goes away.

There is no need to get a special profile made to make use of your paper.
You may address the problem directly by bumping the magenta slider in your
default printer preferences. If this makes your prints too dark, then back
off on the cyan and yellow instead, or a combination of the two. It helps
to have a test pattern with various levels of gray for this procedure. The
curvemeister site has such a test pattern, and a procedure designed to save
paper as you make repeated adjustments:
http://curvemeister.com/downloads/Te...test_strip.htm

BTW - if you have access to CostCo, they sell a Costco brand paper in packs
of 100 that I have found works very well with Epson inks, and may in fact be
a repackaging of Epson materials.
--
Mike Russell - www.curvemeister.com

Old August 6th 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Conrad

On Aug 5, 5:55 am, Conrad wrote:
Hi,

I have an Epson Stylus Photo R380 printer. When printing Black and
White photos, 4x6 Best and 8x10 Draft and Standard - all come out
fine. However, when I print 8x10 at Best setting - there is a green
cast to the finished B&W print. I have tried several different ways of
doing the Best 8x10 printing with B&W - with no success - the green
cast is still there. I tried taking a B&W picture with camera setting
(no color involved), transfer to printer but still get the green cast
on 8x10 prints. I'm baffled and ready to deep 6 the printer. Any
suggestions appreciated.

Wow! Thank you all for the excellent suggestions. I really appreciate
the time and effort you all took.

Answers to some of your questions follow:

I am using CS3 when tweaking photos. I transfer to a memory card (my
MacMini computer doesn't talk to my printer). I load memory card into
Epson R380 printer and use 3rd party paper to get finished print.

I've tried to look for/obtain a different driver with no success.
Trying to reach Epson is like trying to talk to God.

Old August 6th 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
davy

Try changing the brand of the paper.... or using a different brand of
ink this often happens if you are not using OEM ink and paper.

There are often these sort of problems posted in the Printer section
http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/printers/

Davy