Will the real ASAAR please stand up?

Old July 31st 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

Default Will the real ASAAR please stand up?

On 31 Jul 2007 10:16:56 -0700, Bill Tuthill wrote:

I can usually tell which is which - there's a certain deep ironic humor to
the posts that reminds me of the Dark Lord Voldemort, Michael Christie aka
artistmike. He shadowed Hecate for a few weeks or months...

I'm trying to figure out whether ASAAR really recommended Photoline 32
over Photoshop, or whether that was a forged post. There wasn't enough
ironic humor in that post for me to distinguish.

This reply of yours bears a hint of forgery itself, or perhaps a
misinterpretation of the routing path shown in the header.
Searching all of the messages I've retrieved this year, 52 contained
the string "newsfeed.gamma.RU", and none of them were posted by
"ASAAR", real or forged. Your own message contained this path :

!nx01.iad01.newshosting.com!newshosting.com!newsfe ed.kamp.net!
newsfeed.kamp.net!213.239.142.2.MISMATCH!feed.xsne ws.nl!
border-1.ams.xsnews.nl!border1.nntp.ams.giganews.com!
nntp.giganews.com!uio.no!newsfeeds.sol.net!
newspeer1.asbnva01.us.to.verio.net!newsread1.mlpsc a01.us.to.verio.net!
5cd0c76e!not-for-mail

I'm far from a usenet expert, but I'd take this path to indicate
that your message originated from verio.net and eventually made it's
way to my NNTP host, which uses supernews.com. Intermediate hops
reaching newsfeed.kamp.net and xsnews.nl shouldn't be read to
indicate that either of them are associated with *you*. If you
examine the header of the message that you posted which has this
Message ID:, which is the one I copied the above Path: header from :

and look at its Path: header, it shouldn't exactly match the one
above, since the non-fixed path used to get the message from you to
you isn't the same as the path that would get the message from you
to me. But verio.net should also appear near the end of the

I'm thinking that posts with header showing newsfeed.gamma.RU are fake,
so the recommendation of Photoline 32 was real. (?)

As I said, I don't think that the "newsfeed.gamma.RU" is
significant unless it's at the tail end of the Path: header. If I'm
wrong about this someone will probably (and should) correct me.

None of my messages (or even the forgeries) show up in any of the
52 messages from 37 different posters containing that string, so the
message that you saw with "newsfeed.gamma.RU" in it is unlikely to
contain it near the tail end of the Path: header. I assume that
that header is where you saw it. Would you care to quote it in a
reply?

Old July 31st 07, 08:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Tuthill

ASAAR wrote:

None of my messages (or even the forgeries) show up in any of the
52 messages from 37 different posters containing that string, so the
message that you saw with "newsfeed.gamma.RU" in it is unlikely to
contain it near the tail end of the Path: header. I assume that
that header is where you saw it. Would you quote it in a reply?

Here is one saying "MISMATCH" but the post looks real.

From: ASAAR
g2news2.google.com!news2.google.com!border1.nntp.d ca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!newsfeed.freenet.de!213.132.189.2.MISMAT CH!multikabel.net!feed20.multikabel.net!sn-xt-ams-06!sn-xt-ams-03!sn-ams!sn-feed-ams-01!sn-post-ams-01!sn-post-sjc-01!supernews.com!corp.supernews.com!not-for-mail

I can't find any header with newsfeed.gamma.RU now.
Maybe I reached a different news.google.com server?
It looks like Usenet news distribution paths can vary.

From: ASAAR
g2news2.google.com!news2.google.com!border1.nntp.d ca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!newsfeed.freenet.de!213.132.189.2.MISMAT CH!multikabel.net!feed20.multikabel.net!sn-xt-ams-06!sn-xt-ams-03!sn-ams!sn-feed-ams-01!sn-post-ams-01!sn-post-sjc-01!supernews.com!corp.supernews.com!not-for-mail

I can't find any header with newsfeed.gamma.RU now.
Maybe I reached a different news.google.com server?
It looks like Usenet news distribution paths can vary.

They really can and do vary. That's what allows the internet to
work so well. Any of the points used in the path can crash, and the
messages will still go through, because a different path will be
used to reach the destination. Google is large enough to have quite
a large server farm, and it may be that the one that you're
connected to is determined by an algorithm intended to spread the
load. But supernews.com at the end of the path indicates that the
message is consistent with having been sourced from my server. It
doesn't guarantee that I sent it, but the last time I posted from a
different server was probably at least several years ago.

Old July 31st 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike Russell

"Bill Tuthill" wrote in message
Mike Russell -move wrote:

I can usually tell which is which - there's a certain deep ironic humor
the posts that reminds me of the Dark Lord Voldemort, Michael Christie
aka
artistmike. He shadowed Hecate for a few weeks or months...

I'm trying to figure out whether ASAAR really recommended Photoline 32
over Photoshop, or whether that was a forged post. There wasn't enough
ironic humor in that post for me to distinguish.

Dagnabbit. If only these forgers would keep a consistent amount of dark
humor n their phsts, it would make life easier for the rest of us.

I'm thinking that posts with header showing newsfeed.gamma.RU are fake,
so the recommendation of Photoline 32 was real. (?)

I've compared several of the messages, and found the headers to match
spookily closely. I'd almost think that the forger has hacked access to
ASAAR's local net. So hats off for technique.

Plus, BTW, I'm not sure if you were just now cordially conversing about news
headers with the real ASAAR, or with the fake! I did notice, however, that
there was a lot of verbiage, and no attempt to clear up the Photoline issue.
--
Mike Russell - www.curvemeister.com

Old July 31st 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich

On Jul 30, 1:51 pm, Bill Tuthill wrote:
ASAAR, how can we identify your real posts?

You, one of the most trusted people in this newsgroup,
or possibly a forger, compared Photoshop negatively to its competition,
and suddenly there is a flurry of bogus postings.

If there is any criticism, even them mildest, about PS or Canon, you
KNOW it didn't come from some of the people on this group.

Old July 31st 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Tuthill

Mike Russell -move wrote:
Plus, BTW, I'm not sure if you were just now cordially conversing about news
headers with the real ASAAR, or with the fake! I did notice, however, that
there was a lot of verbiage, and no attempt to clear up the Photoline issue.

Earlier today I saw a message apparently from ASAAR saying he has Elements,
but could not afford Photoshop, and had never used Photoline 32. However
I can't find that post now.

Rich wrote:
You, one of the most trusted people in this newsgroup,
or possibly a forger, compared Photoshop negatively to its competition,
and suddenly there is a flurry of bogus postings.

If there is any criticism, even them mildest, about PS or Canon,
you KNOW it didn't come from some of the people on this group.

There's some dark humo(u)r for you. As somebody who recently
criticized Photoshop for not having the best JPEG-save capabilities,
I suppose this implies I'm not "on this group."

Old July 31st 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:45:01 -0700, Rich trilled:

If there is any criticism, even them mildest, about PS or Canon, you
KNOW it didn't come from some of the people on this group.

How fitting that you'd side with the trolls.

Old July 31st 07, 11:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:29:47 -0700, Mike Russell wrote:

Plus, BTW, I'm not sure if you were just now cordially conversing about news
headers with the real ASAAR, or with the fake! I did notice, however, that
there was a lot of verbiage, and no attempt to clear up the Photoline issue.

I already denied what was claimed. You missed it? I don't see
any question asking about Photoline though, just about whether I had
"compared Photoshop negatively to its competition". Nope. I've
nothing negative to say about Photoshop other than its price, and
also nothing negative to say about Photoline 32 other than that it
has some seriously disturbed advocates, and I never heard of it
before they (the sock puppet trolls) arrived praising it while they
simultaneously tried to trash Photoshop and a host of other things.

Here 'tis again :

On 30 Jul 2007 10:51:29 -0700, Bill Tuthill wrote:

ASAAR, how can we identify your real posts?

You, one of the most trusted people in this newsgroup,
or possibly a forger, compared Photoshop negatively to its competition,
and suddenly there is a flurry of bogus postings.

Good question. I recently thought I detected a way, but I was
mistaken. Even if correct, posting that detail probably would have
allowed the forger to adjust the headers by the last remaining
amount. All I can suggest is that you go by message content. Most
of the forgeries are obviously bogus. Some of mine are extremely
unlikely for anyone that familiar with my messages to be mistaken
for forged replies. Some fit in a gray area where mine are more
difficult to tell from the forged replies. FWIW, I haven't
commented about Photoshop or Photoline 32 specifics as I've never
had a copy of either and never used anyone else's installation. I
do have PE version 4 though, bought 12 months ago, but haven't
really done more than play with it for a few minutes. Maybe when I
get my next great printer I'll start to invest some time with it.
My personal opinion of Photoshop is necessarily limited, but I'd buy
a copy in a second if it wasn't so highly priced. But I don't think
that not having it would be a great loss, as I doubt that I'd have
much of a need for more than what the underutilized PE4 offers.

Did you not see this quoted post? Is there something else you
thought I should have answered about Photoline? I don't recall
being asked about it, but it could have been in a missed message.

Old August 1st 07, 12:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On 31 Jul 2007 15:24:51 -0700, Bill Tuthill wrote:

Earlier today I saw a message apparently from ASAAR saying
he has Elements, but could not afford Photoshop, and had never
used Photoline 32. However I can't find that post now.

You'd have found that message by now if you used a *real*
newsreader like Newsline 32 instead of that tinny little . . .
snap

. . . sorry, I must have been dreaming during my nap.

You may see that message again soon since I quoted it in another
reply not very long ago. And it's not that I can't afford
Photoshop, it's more that even if it can do much more than Elements,
it's unlikely that I'd use very many of its features that aren't
already provided in Elements. And even Elements hasn't gotten very
much use so far.

Old August 1st 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

ASAAR wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:29:47 -0700, Mike Russell wrote:

Plus, BTW, I'm not sure if you were just now cordially conversing about news
headers with the real ASAAR, or with the fake! I did notice, however, that
there was a lot of verbiage, and no attempt to clear up the Photoline issue.

I already denied what was claimed. You missed it? I don't see
any question asking about Photoline though, just about whether I had
"compared Photoshop negatively to its competition". Nope. I've
nothing negative to say about Photoshop other than its price, and
also nothing negative to say about Photoline 32 other than that it
has some seriously disturbed advocates, and I never heard of it
before they (the sock puppet trolls) arrived praising it while they
simultaneously tried to trash Photoshop and a host of other things.

That's consistent with my recollection, too. Constantly morphing
"personalities" and/or puppets.

--
john mcwilliams