Kodak Tmax 100 with Rodinal

Old July 22nd 04, 11:25 AM
whitewave

Default Kodak Tmax 100 with Rodinal

I have to process a 120 roll of new Tmax 100 in Rodinal.
Agfa says 5'30'' at 20°C.

My problem is that since I'm Using distilled water, I have to work at
24°. You can't imagine how much Italy is hot now.

Wich times?

What else could I do? I put some distilled water in the fridge, but I
don't think I wil be able to keep 20°C during all the processing time.

Thanks a lot.
Marco Baldovin
www.whitewave.it
Old July 22nd 04, 11:43 PM
Alparslan

"whitewave" wrote in message
I have to process a 120 roll of new Tmax 100 in Rodinal.
Agfa says 5'30'' at 20°C.

My problem is that since I'm Using distilled water, I have to work at
24°. You can't imagine how much Italy is hot now.

Wich times?

What else could I do? I put some distilled water in the fridge, but I
don't think I wil be able to keep 20°C during all the processing time.

Thanks a lot.
Marco Baldovin
www.whitewave.it

Hi Marco,

It is very hot here in this part of Turkey too but I manage to develop my
films at 20 degrees C. I keep the solutions in the fridge until they are
about 19 degrees C. Development times are not very long anyway. A variation
of one or two degrees in temperature is not critically important. If I
really wanted to be anal about it I would put the processing tank in my
paper developing tray filled with iced water and observe the temp. during
processing through the hole in the middle of the tank. Regards,
Alparslan

Old July 23rd 04, 12:55 AM
jjs

[.. snip - our posters are from Italy and Turkey and _you_ think you are
hot? ...]

My friends, may I suggest Rodinal diluted to 1:100 for starters? Development
times will be long enough to compensate for the otherwise critical short
development times, and coincidently good for high-contrast lighting. You
aren't going to win over the weather, so a test roll or two might prove to
be quite helpfull.

Best,
jjs

Old July 23rd 04, 01:24 AM
Indheatec

Subject: Kodak Tmax 100 with Rodinal
From: whitewave
Date: 7/22/2004 6:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time
I have to process a 120 roll of new Tmax 100 in Rodinal.
Agfa says 5'30'' at 20°C.

My problem is that since I'm Using distilled water, I have to work at
24°. You can't imagine how much Italy is hot now.

Wich times?

What else could I do? I put some distilled water in the fridge, but I
don't think I wil be able to keep 20°C during all the processing time.

First go to:

http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/bw_chart.html

This is a chart will help you to determine development times at different
temperatures.

Then go to:
http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html

and look up Rodinal times and temps.

I wouldn't worry about developing TMX @ 24C it can take the higher temps a lot
better than the older emulsions. If you are reluctant to work at 24C, go to
page 52 of the "Darkroom Cookbook" and follow the instructions for "Modifying
Developers for Tropical Development".

Regards.

Bob McCarthy
Old July 23rd 04, 11:03 PM
Andrew Price

On 23 Jul 2004 00:24:07 GMT, (Indheatec) wrote:

First go to:

http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/bw_chart.html

This is a chart will help you to determine development times at different
temperatures.

This chart has been around in a number of different formats (html,
*.pdf etc) for quite a while, but every version of it which I've seen
lacks the data for processing at 23°C - the column is just plain
missing.

I'd be tempted just to interpolate, except that I have my doubts about
the values given for 22° - they seem to be off the curve constituted
by the other values.

Anyone know if there is a corrected version available somewhere?
Old July 24th 04, 01:02 AM
Mark A

This chart has been around in a number of different formats (html,
*.pdf etc) for quite a while, but every version of it which I've seen
lacks the data for processing at 23°C - the column is just plain
missing.

I'd be tempted just to interpolate, except that I have my doubts about
the values given for 22° - they seem to be off the curve constituted
by the other values.

Anyone know if there is a corrected version available somewhere?

You concerns are misplaced. All development times need to be done based on
individual testing that takes into account many variables, including your
agitation technique, how you account for pour-in/pour-out time, type of stop
bath (water/acid), you enlarger contrast (condenser/diffusion), etc, etc,
etc.

Old July 25th 04, 12:32 AM
Donald Qualls

whitewave wrote:

I have to process a 120 roll of new Tmax 100 in Rodinal.
Agfa says 5'30'' at 20=B0C.
=20
My problem is that since I'm Using distilled water, I have to work at
24=B0. You can't imagine how much Italy is hot now.
=20
Wich times?
=20
What else could I do? I put some distilled water in the fridge, but I
don't think I wil be able to keep 20=B0C during all the processing time=

=2E

You could stand your chemical bottles (including the jug of distilled=20
water) in a wash basin filled with cold tap water, and even add ice to=20
the basin as necessary to regulate temperature. I've heard of many=20
people doing variations on this to control temperature when even their=20
tap water is well above 20 C.

--=20
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

and don't expect them to be perfect.

Kodak Easyshare...not easy with me! KILOWATT Digital Photography 0 July 3rd 04 11:05 PM
Kodak TMax RS Developer and (New) Tri-X (120) peter lang In The Darkroom 1 April 13th 04 07:31 PM
Rodinal Hektor Gonzal In The Darkroom 67 April 7th 04 03:32 PM
Rodinal Alparslan In The Darkroom 14 April 3rd 04 10:23 PM
Agfa Rodinal and Kodak Tri-X 400XT silva In The Darkroom 5 March 9th 04 11:09 PM