A Photography forum. PhotoBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PhotoBanter.com forum » Digital Photography » Digital Photography
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Affinity Photo for iPad



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old September 23rd 17, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14,720
Default Affinity Photo for iPad

On Sep 23, 2017, David Taylor wrote
(in article ):

On 23/09/2017 17:09, Savageduck wrote:
[] You are not going to know until you try.
That's the essence of it!


You are correct. That is the essence of it.

I bought the iPad Pro, updated to iOS 11. Loaded it with software I have
used, and software I am learning such as Affinity Photo. I am running all
sorts of road tests, and I know it will do the job because I have tried it.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

  #32  
Old September 23rd 17, 09:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14,720
Default Affinity Photo for iPad

On Sep 23, 2017, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

To start with, the Apple A10X with M10 coprocessor is as fast for my needs
as most laptop/desktop machines, and in some cases faster.

But tablets are optimised for battery life, not performance. When you
quickly browse through hundreds of images, open RAWs for editing trying
out different settings, use panorama software to stitch images - that
all drains the battery quite a lot.


Just for the Hell of it, since I had yet to stitch a panorama with Affinity
Photo on the iPad Pro I thought I should at least say I had done it.


how much battery did it use?


Zip! I started the pano with 100% and ended with 100%.

I have been doing some other screwing around on the iPad with the Camera Roll
and some iOS 11 features since doing that pano, and it is now at 98%.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

  #33  
Old September 23rd 17, 09:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 20,383
Default Affinity Photo for iPad

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:


To start with, the Apple A10X with M10 coprocessor is as fast for my
needs as most laptop/desktop machines, and in some cases faster.

But tablets are optimised for battery life, not performance. When you
quickly browse through hundreds of images, open RAWs for editing trying
out different settings, use panorama software to stitch images - that
all drains the battery quite a lot.

Just for the Hell of it, since I had yet to stitch a panorama with
Affinity Photo on the iPad Pro I thought I should at least say I had done it.


how much battery did it use?


Zip! I started the pano with 100% and ended with 100%.


it's not zip. it just means it's less than 1%, possibly less than 0.5%
depending whether it rounds off versus truncates.

I have been doing some other screwing around on the iPad with the Camera Roll
and some iOS 11 features since doing that pano, and it is now at 98%.


yep. battery life is *not* an issue.
  #34  
Old September 23rd 17, 10:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alfred Molon[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,054
Default Affinity Photo for iPad

In article , Alan Browne
says...
And the size, weight and bulk of it and its power supply. Been through
a two transfer intercontinental flight recently?


Yes, just came back from Malaysia with a 15,6" notebook. The weight was
2kg - not a big deal. The power supply is a small thing.
--
Alfred Molon

Olympus E-series DSLRs and micro 4/3 forum at
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MyOlympus/
http://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site
  #35  
Old September 23rd 17, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Davoud
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 520
Default Affinity Photo for iPad

Alan Browne:
I can't speak about Affinity, but I can say that I will never buy an
Adobe photo editing product again.


Stop me if you've heard this one.

If any of the following is true

€ you are a professional
€ you are an amateur
€ your photographs are important to you
€ you have a large number of photographs to manage
€ you prefer doing things the easy way

then you are cutting off your nose to spite your face if you are
boycotting Adobe for some reason.

But‹it's your nose and your face.

--
I agree with almost everything that you have said and almost everything that
you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
  #36  
Old September 23rd 17, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 20,383
Default Affinity Photo for iPad

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

And the size, weight and bulk of it and its power supply. Been through
a two transfer intercontinental flight recently?


Yes, just came back from Malaysia with a 15,6" notebook. The weight was
2kg - not a big deal. The power supply is a small thing.


now compare that with an ipad pro at 477g or an ipad mini at 304g.
then compare which one fits in a jacket pocket.

its power supply is any 5v usb adapter, such as the one you already
have for your phone. in other words, nothing extra to bring.
  #37  
Old September 24th 17, 04:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_7_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 350
Default Affinity Photo for iPad

On 9/23/2017 12:14 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2017-09-23 09:56, PeterN wrote:
On 9/23/2017 9:07 AM, Alan Browne wrote:


snip.


Hmm.* 512 GB is quite a lot then.* No issue.* No cloud needed.


When I was traveling I looked into the iPad. Because of my workflow,
it didn't work for me. Remember, I use a high megapixel camera.


What's high?* What size raw file?

On an iPad one could easily allocate 400 GB to photography.* Say 30 MB
per image.* That would be 13000+ images.* Say you cut that in half so
you can do lot's of roadshow editing.* How long does it take to fill
6500 images that are probably worth keeping?

In photography one tends to reduce stuff carried around that is not
specific to photography.* An iPad v. laptop is a no brainer.


RAW size for a D800

Image quality Image size File size*2
FX (36x24)*1
NEF (RAW), Lossless compressed, 12-bit - 32.4 MB
NEF (RAW), Lossless compressed, 14-bit - 41.3 MB
NEF (RAW), Compressed, 12-bit - 29.0 MB

Also, there were times I wanted to do some procession. My laptop had a
17" screen. The iPad also belongs to my wife. Every day I took the days
shooting, and downloaded it onto the Notebook, and backed up to 2
portable HDs. If I did any processing the file size increased.

--
PeterN
  #38  
Old September 24th 17, 04:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14,720
Default Affinity Photo for iPad

On Sep 23, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 9/23/2017 12:14 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2017-09-23 09:56, PeterN wrote:
On 9/23/2017 9:07 AM, Alan Browne wrote:


snip.


Hmm. 512 GB is quite a lot then. No issue. No cloud needed.

When I was traveling I looked into the iPad. Because of my workflow,
it didn't work for me. Remember, I use a high megapixel camera.


What's high? What size raw file?

On an iPad one could easily allocate 400 GB to photography. Say 30 MB
per image. That would be 13000+ images. Say you cut that in half so
you can do lot's of roadshow editing. How long does it take to fill
6500 images that are probably worth keeping?

In photography one tends to reduce stuff carried around that is not
specific to photography. An iPad v. laptop is a no brainer.


RAW size for a D800

Image quality Image size File size*2
FX (36x24)*1
NEF (RAW), Lossless compressed, 12-bit - 32.4 MB
NEF (RAW), Lossless compressed, 14-bit - 41.3 MB
NEF (RAW), Compressed, 12-bit - 29.0 MB

Also, there were times I wanted to do some procession. My laptop had a
17" screen. The iPad also belongs to my wife. Every day I took the days
shooting, and downloaded it onto the Notebook, and backed up to 2
portable HDs. If I did any processing the file size increased.


....and you also have your D500.
As for me and the iPad with the X-T2 APS-C, 6000 x 4000 files I have this:

RAF (RAW) uncompressed 14-bit = 50.6 MB
RAF (RAW) lossless compressed 14-bit = 21-25 MB

JPEG, content dependant SOOC, = 10.1-15.6 MB

The iPad Pro with 512 GB on board does just fine with those files.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

  #39  
Old September 24th 17, 07:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
RJH
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 116
Default Affinity Photo for iPad

On 23/09/2017 17:09, Savageduck wrote:
On Sep 23, 2017, Alfred Molon wrote


snip

The battery gives me 10 hours of portability which slips easily into a
camera
bag, and provides me with all the function I need on the road, and then
some,
all with less weight and bulk than even a notebook PC.


But there is no need to lug around the tablet the whole day, while you
are taking pictures, right? Just leave it in the hotel, or why would you
want to carry it around?


There is no need to lug it around, but if you needed to the bit of added
weight is negligible.

Instead of the tablet you can bring along another lens, a flash or piece
of photo equipment, which improves your photo capture capability in the
field.


With my Fujifilm set up, I have my camera, 4 lenses, extra batteries, some
filters, and a few other goodies which all fit handily into my Domke bag.
Moreover, I could if need be, slip the iPad into the back sleave of the bag.


JOOI, what sort of case do you use for the iPad?

I've had a succession of iPads - wonderful things. But I've never found
a case that protects the iPad without doubling the bulk and adding about
half to the weight.

Of course, we all have a different view of 'protect'.

--
Cheers, Rob
  #40  
Old September 24th 17, 07:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
RJH
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 116
Default Affinity Photo for iPad

On 23/09/2017 20:53, Savageduck wrote:
On Sep 23, 2017, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck says...

While there is a 12? iPad Pro available, the 10? is the better choice
when it comes to portability. The resolution provided by the Retina display
is superb. I can edit 6000 x 4000 images down to a pixel level if I need to.


Maybe your eyesight is better than mine, but if I have to go through
200-300 images in the evening, a big screen helps a lot. For my
purposes, a 10" screen is just too small. I cannot zoom in and out all
the time. Actually even 12" is too small. I'd like to have at least 14".

snip

To start with, the Apple A10X with M10 coprocessor is as fast for my needs
as
most laptop/desktop machines, and in some cases faster.


But tablets are optimised for battery life, not performance. When you
quickly browse through hundreds of images, open RAWs for editing trying
out different settings, use panorama software to stitch images - that
all drains the battery quite a lot.


Just for the Hell of it, since I had yet to stitch a panorama with Affinity
Photo on the iPad Pro I thought I should at least say I had done it.

To start with I took this sequence of three shots from last year, and from my
desktop, dropped them into an iCloud folder.

I then went to the iPad and opened Affinity Photo - selected New Panorama,
and selected the three shots for stitching. Created the uncropped pano.
Cleaned up the crop so that the image is ready for any adjustments.

Other than picking out the shots on my desktop, the entire iPad pano
stitching operation took less than one minute.

Here is how things happened on the iPad.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lu9r03r0p97fbju/AAD4Y4UwhMROPrL3oJXs94Txa


Impressive! But those are 1MB files - do things slow up a lot with 30MB
RAW files?

--
Cheers, Rob
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Mac Users - Affinity Photo Update Savageduck[_3_] Digital Photography 7 December 9th 16 10:15 PM
Affinity Photo Windows Beta Available Savageduck[_3_] Digital Photography 87 November 17th 16 06:32 PM
Affinity Photo Beta Neil[_9_] Digital Photography 41 November 17th 16 01:39 PM
photo editor for iPad isw Digital Photography 4 April 11th 16 06:20 PM
iPad 3 - best app for simple photo editing David Taylor Digital Photography 80 July 31st 14 10:08 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2017 PhotoBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.