Speed winners

Old July 25th 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
James Silverton[_2_]

Default Speed winners

Hello All!

I am probably in the market for a new digital camera and I wonder if
anyone knows the current winners in the following cases. There may be
technical terms but I do not know them.

1. The lowest time to being ready to take a picture after being switched
on.
2. The lowest delay in taking a picture after the button is pressed in
normal daylight.
3. The lowest time to take a second picture once a first one is started.
4. The best LCD viewer for using in bright sunlight.

If there have been recent surveys posted I would be glad to know of
them.

Thanks in advance.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old July 25th 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 10:18:15 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

Hello All!

I am probably in the market for a new digital camera and I wonder if
anyone knows the current winners in the following cases. There may be
technical terms but I do not know them.

1. The lowest time to being ready to take a picture after being switched
on.
2. The lowest delay in taking a picture after the button is pressed in
normal daylight.
3. The lowest time to take a second picture once a first one is started.
4. The best LCD viewer for using in bright sunlight.

If there have been recent surveys posted I would be glad to know of
them.

Thanks in advance.

DPreview has a comparison page, you punch in the camera(s)
you are intersted in and the tables show all the relevant data.
--

---
7/25/2008 7:42:40 AM
Old July 25th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

Irwell wrote:
[...]

I don't believe the DPReview comparison page
can handle the particilar parameters the OP wants.

BugBear
Old July 25th 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron

James Silverton wrote:

Hello All!

I am probably in the market for a new digital camera and I wonder if
anyone knows the current winners in the following cases. There may be
technical terms but I do not know them.

1. The lowest time to being ready to take a picture after being switched
on.
2. The lowest delay in taking a picture after the button is pressed in
normal daylight.
3. The lowest time to take a second picture once a first one is started.
4. The best LCD viewer for using in bright sunlight.

If there have been recent surveys posted I would be glad to know of
them.

Thanks in advance.

What's your budget? Looking for point/shoot or SLR? What features do you
want/like?
Old July 25th 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 10:18:15 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

I am probably in the market for a new digital camera and I wonder if
anyone knows the current winners in the following cases. There may be
technical terms but I do not know them.

1. The lowest time to being ready to take a picture after being switched
on.
2. The lowest delay in taking a picture after the button is pressed in
normal daylight.
3. The lowest time to take a second picture once a first one is started.
4. The best LCD viewer for using in bright sunlight.

If there have been recent surveys posted I would be glad to know of
them.

Since you don't know the "technical terms", I assume that you're
considering a P&S and not a DSLR. You'd probably find that most
recent DSLRs, even the budget models, will meet your four conditions
better than P&S cameras, but there are undoubtedly some P&S cameras
that you might find acceptable. It would help immensely if you told
us your minimal requirements for the first three, as well as the
type of camera you're considering (P&S cameras range from smaller
than pocket size to larger and heavier than some DSLRs). Keep in
mind that number 2 (lowest delay) usually is defined several ways.
Total delay when fully depressing the shutter button. Delay after
prefocusing with a half-shutter-press. etc. Take a look at the
Timing and Sizes page of any of DPR's full reviews. Nikon's D3 is
probably well out of your budget, but has particularly good numbers:
Power Off to On and Power Off to Shot - both under 0.1 seconds, and:

The D3 did exactly what it said on the box, at around 9 frames per
second in FX (full frame) mode and 11 fps in DX (cropped) mode
(manual focus). With a fast card the only limit on the number of frames
in burst is the D3's own 130 shot cut-off, though with some cards
(the Sandisk Extreme IV in this test) you'll find you fill the buffer
before this point is reached, at which point the frame rate slows
considerably and becomes rather erratic (speeding up and slowing
down randomly). To be honest if you want to shoot more than 130 shots
at 9 frames per second what you're really looking for is a movie camera
(or a sub machine gun).

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3/page13.asp

or a P&S sub-machine gun like Casio's Exilim Pro EX-F1 (at nearly
$1000, probably also priced above your budget) :

The Casio Exilim Pro EX-F1 Digital Camera incorporates a high speed
CMOS sensor and high speed LSI processor to provide incredibly high
speed operation with a full resolution burst capability of up to 60 frames
per second. Although the camera is unbelievably fast, it can still produce
high quality images with a resolution of up to 6 megapixels for stunning
prints with lots of detail.

The camera can also capture video in true HD quality or even high-speed
video at a frame rate of up to 1200 fps for incredible slow-motion playback.
Add to this the camera's 12x optical zoom lens, extensive exposure settings,
easy to use Best Shot Functions, specialized YouTube shooting feature and
you have an incredibly versatile camera that can be used for almost any
kind of application you can think of.
. . .
The EX-F1 features an ultra-bright Super Clear LCD display that measures
2.8" and has 230,000 pixels of resolution - enabling viewing from almost any
angle. The bright LCD display also delivers unusually high contrast, giving
you a particularly clear and crisp view of your subjects - even in direct sunlight.

. . .

Shutter Lag 0.01 seconds
Time Between Shots 0.8 seconds
Burst Capability
Normal Speed Continuous: 3 fps maximum
High-speed Continuous: 60 fps maximum
Flash Continuous: 7 fps maximum up to 20 images

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...1_Digital.html

Old July 25th 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
James Silverton[_2_]

Ron wrote on Fri, 25 Jul 2008 10:12:58 -0700:

Hello All!

I am probably in the market for a new digital camera and I
wonder if anyone knows the current winners in the following
cases. There may be technical terms but I do not know them.

1. The lowest time to being ready to take a picture after
being switched on. 2. The lowest delay in taking a picture
after the button is pressed in normal daylight. 3. The lowest
time to take a second picture once a first one is started. 4.
The best LCD viewer for using in bright sunlight.

If there have been recent surveys posted I would be glad to
know of them.

Thanks in advance.

What's your budget? Looking for point/shoot or SLR? What
features do you want/like?

The basic desirable is reasonably small size but I wondered if there had
been any recent improvements and comparisons of the winners in the
various categories. Advice on specific cameras is of course useful. I
know a little about the advantages of DSLRs for speed but I would guess
my maximum size is about that of the Canon G9 and this would probably
mean that I am interested in "point and shoots" but reasonably easy
manual controls would be useful. The upper price limit is not fixed but
$500 or so might be about right. I bought my daughter a G9 a while ago
at her request and she likes it a lot and keeps me supplied with
pictures of the grand kids!
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old July 26th 08, 07:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

James Silverton wrote:
Hello All!

I am probably in the market for a new digital camera and I wonder if
anyone knows the current winners in the following cases. There may be
technical terms but I do not know them.

1. The lowest time to being ready to take a picture after being switched
on.
2. The lowest delay in taking a picture after the button is pressed in
normal daylight.
3. The lowest time to take a second picture once a first one is started.
4. The best LCD viewer for using in bright sunlight.

Most digital SLRs will fill that need. Typical turn-on time is on the
order of 0.25 seconds, take a picture within the same period from
pressing the sutter button, take 3 to 5 pictures per second, and have
an optical viewfinder that isn't adversly affected by bright light.

--
Ray Fischer

Old July 28th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
James Silverton[_2_]

Ray wrote on 26 Jul 2008 06:54:12 GMT:

James Silverton wrote:
Hello All!

I am probably in the market for a new digital camera and I
wonder if anyone knows the current winners in the following
cases. There may be technical terms but I do not know them.

1. The lowest time to being ready to take a picture after
being switched on. 2. The lowest delay in taking a picture
after the button is pressed in normal daylight. 3. The lowest
time to take a second picture once a first one is started. 4.
The best LCD viewer for using in bright sunlight.

Most digital SLRs will fill that need. Typical turn-on time
is on the order of 0.25 seconds, take a picture within the
same period from pressing the sutter button, take 3 to 5
pictures per second, and have an optical viewfinder that isn't
adversly affected by bright light.

I can't disagree but have there been tabulations of the various "lag
times" for non-SLRs? I asked the question here because there is another
group in the r.p.d hierarchy for SLRs and the point+shoot group is
essentially inactive. How are the times on the Leica M8, not that I am
considering that and the r.p.d.rangefinder group is even less active
than point+shoot

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old July 28th 08, 09:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 15:22:00 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

Most digital SLRs will fill that need. Typical turn-on time
is on the order of 0.25 seconds, take a picture within the
same period from pressing the sutter button, take 3 to 5
pictures per second, and have an optical viewfinder that isn't
adversly affected by bright light.

I can't disagree but have there been tabulations of the various "lag
times" for non-SLRs? I asked the question here because there is another
group in the r.p.d hierarchy for SLRs and the point+shoot group is
essentially inactive. How are the times on the Leica M8, not that I am
considering that and the r.p.d.rangefinder group is even less active
than point+shoot

Timings for the M8 are here :
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/leicam8/page9.asp

and for other P&S and DSLR cameras will be found in the full
reviews listed in the index page here :
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/default.asp?view=alpha

Old July 28th 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 16:59:07 -0400, ASAAR wrote:

[...]

Some of the People who own the new Sony W300 were complaining about
the start-up and shut down times of their cameras. The ensuing discussion
revealed that the type of memory card used can have an effect on these
times. It seems there are counterfeit cards being sold under the Sony
name that have poor read/write speeds. I had one of these phony cards,
changed it for a genuine Sony Pro Duo and the shutdown time went from about
7-8 seconds to just about 1-2 seconds. Using just the internal memory of
the W300 the times are almost instantaneous.

--

---
7/28/2008 2:10:11 PM