[SI] Last 90 is posted and ready for viewing!

Old October 25th 10, 01:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

Default [SI] Last 90 is posted and ready for viewing!

A nice collection this month!

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/last90

For you newcomers:

The ShootIn is simply a chance for participants to submit photos for
display according to the monthly mandate. It is not a contest, there
are no prizes, there is no voting, only some comments after the images
are posted. Give it a shot! More info he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

Home Page he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin

Images are submitted via email; address on the rulz page.
Old October 25th 10, 03:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Allen[_3_]

On 10/25/2010 7:05 AM, Bowser wrote:
A nice collection this month!

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/last90

For you newcomers:

The ShootIn is simply a chance for participants to submit photos for
display according to the monthly mandate. It is not a contest, there
are no prizes, there is no voting, only some comments after the images
are posted. Give it a shot! More info he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

Home Page he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin

Images are submitted via email; address on the rulz page.

Thank you, Otter, for the pictures around Austin. The Hamilton's Pool
pic caught my eye first, and then I saw the peacocks, and the Giving
Tree--Waterloo? Pease? I couldn't tell for sure.

Over all, these entries IMO are the best overall of any Shootin I've
seen. I wish that I were still mobile enough to get out and
particiopate--but c'est la vie.
Allen
Old October 25th 10, 05:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-10-25 05:05:41 -0700, Bowser said:

A nice collection this month!

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/last90

For you newcomers:

The ShootIn is simply a chance for participants to submit photos for
display according to the monthly mandate. It is not a contest, there
are no prizes, there is no voting, only some comments after the images
are posted. Give it a shot! More info he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

Home Page he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin

Images are submitted via email; address on the rulz page.

Comments for this SI are going to be tough. It doesn't really matter
how the mechanics of the shot effect others, they are YOUR favorite
shots!
I did think the requirement was to provide a reason for the particular
shot being a 90 day favorite and some of the submissions lack that
narrative.
So how each shot is received by a viewer is a matter of taste,
experience and perception, and I will try to comment with that in mind,
and keep technical critique to a minimum. So here goes;

Tony Cooper;
Knowing your fondness for textured old surfaces and character filled
faces, I understand how "Rust-oleum" and the "cigar store indian &
smoking buddy" made your group. The irony in "Watermelons" is also
smile inducing and a good addition to your group.

The St Laurent group;
It would have been nice to hear your reasons for these shots being your
favorites of the last 90 days. The first shot has a dynamic feel to it
and is well execute. The second is an interesting still life, and the
third is a landscape which should have a story to it.

Bob Coe;
I like the idea of the sail-CITGO repetition, and the element of
chance in capturing the shot.

Martha Coe:
#1 Nice capture of a moment, and I can see how making that capture
would make that a favorite shot.
#2 A tad posed, but it sets a mood for the season.

Paul Furman:
#1 Great shot, and it would be one of my favorites if I had taken the
shot, but it is your shot, and we should hear some of your reasoning
for making the selection.
#2 Great scene, but the highlights are blown. I can see the evocative
nature of the shot making it a selection for you, but again what were
your reasons for it being a favorite.
#3 Again, great scene without your reason for inclussion as a favorite.

Troy Piggins:
Perfectly understandable as to why this is a favorite.

Antonio Trincone;
That image in the morning light has plenty of moodiness and drama to
work with for months and come up with something different each time. It
makes sense that is a favorite.

Bowser:
#1 Biker rebelliousness in the face of authoritarian signage, I can see
why you would like that.
#2 I like everything about the scene, makes sense.
#3 Enough said! It's a CAR!

Bob Flint:
#1 I get your explanation, but I am not sure that would have, or should
have qualified as a favorite shot.
#2 Always nice to make a good bird capture, but blackbirds are a PIA,
not my favorite. To each his own.
#3 Jays have character, it might have been nice to be better positioned
for the shot, and perhaps obtain a better focus, but if it works for
you...

Russell Durtschi;
#1 I understand what you are working on and you have explained why you
like this shot.
#2 I like it, and I can see why you like it.
#3 OK! You like spiders.

Tim Conway:
#1 For you it evokes a time you had some fun away from work with your camera.
#2 Hey not bad! If a bit of work earns you a compliment, it is always
nice to have a reminder of that moment.

My three shots which I think I have explained.

Otter:
#1 It is great to capture a moment, and I fully understand why it is a
favorite.
#2 I don't know Hamilton Pool, but it looks like one of those places I
would like to know, and if I had to do what you did to save the shot it
would be one of my favorites.
#3 Nice "Madonna & child" study, I see why you like it.

Peter Newman:
#1 OK! I put this together with our "clumsy old fart" sub-thread in
that other group and I understand. Any shot which came out of my camera
after a return from the edge of doom, would be a favorite.
#2 Ah! Yes! I remember, this was part of a negotiation. I won't ask
what your sacrifice was, just getting there after all that time would
have put a smile on your face. I do have one question, were you trying
to pan in both directions at the same time?
#3 Nice. Love the reflections. I can see why you like it.

Troy Piggins;
Great work, and I can see why upon completion it would be a favorite.
However I have one thing to say, Aaaaaagh! 2200 photos of a wedding!
Were you out of your mind?

All in all an interesting set for this SI. Thanks for playing guys.

Savageduck

Old October 26th 10, 01:33 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Bowser wrote:
A nice collection this month!

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/last90

Wow yeah, lots of good stuff. I now shall follow through as promised and
comment!

2010-08-25-RUSTOLEUM-COOPER.jpg
I like this kind of shot but the photoshop treatment is too much.

2010-10-16-CIGAR-COOPER.jpg
Very quirky shot with the guy peering out from the indian's arm pit and
disturbing foreground oof but I like it!

2010-10-16-WATERMELONS-COOPER.jpg
Another fun incongruity.

20100729_Lower St-Laurent 2010_0079-SML.jpg [wood lathe - Alan Browne?]
Interesting choice of settings for motion blur I guess. I do like the
contrast of sharp and blurred, not sure about the dark exposure but I
suppose that hints at an old fashioned Amish shop or similar.

20100730_Lower St-Laurent 2010_0029SML.jpg [marble sculpture]
Tasteful capture and use of negative space/shadow. Maybe a little too
much empty space but generally works well.

20100730_Lower St-Laurent 2010_0062SML.jpg [shore landscape]
I think cropped to a wide screen pano would help, it's a spectacular
landscape, well framed but somehow lacks punch (just the gloomy
weather?) Maybe more something in the foreground.

Fav_BobCoe_1.JPG [Citgo sailboat]
Ha! funny.
Again maybe some cropping but I know, that comment gets old.

Fav_MarthaCoe_1.JPG [milkweed]
I want a natural background, then this is lovely.

Fav_MarthaCoe_2.JPG [pumpkins]
Perfect autumn scene, just right.

L90 Paul Furman Aburquerque 3373-3548.jpg [myself]
15 sec f/4.8 13mm ISO 100 D700 jpeg-small :-(
This got fav status just because it's the first luck I've ever had with
lightning. Eight exposures blended with focus stacking software from a
time lapse set of 333 shots. I cleaned up the foreground to one layer
and left the clouds. The park regs sign was an accident but does kind of
lend a halloween campy aspect g.

L90 Paul Furman boat-gg-bridge _PBF7141.jpg
Just a spectacular setting. Very difficult lighting but can be fun if
you don't ask for perfect exposures. It feels like there's a bit of
reverse keystoning from tilting up or just the wonkyness of perspective
and tilted boats. Aperture wasn't f/45, probably f/8. I wish I'd moved
the big lens to the D700.

L90 Paul Furman frisco _PBF7101-5.jpg
Again simply a stunning setting. I took *many* shots as we drifted past
this area where things aligned just right. I'd love to return in
different lighting.

Last 90 You Can't See Me Troy Piggins.jpg
Yes, *perfect* baby shot!

Last90 Antonio Trincone.jpeg [villa]
Did you see my post about the weird contortions I played with to get the
B&W landscape above? Buried in the blue angels thread I think.

Last90-bowser-01.jpg [Cars Only]
More clever incongruities! Neat idea.

Last90-bowser-02.jpg [Mt. Washington hotel]
Marvelous scene and good lighting. Makes me want to run out there and
rearrange the chairs a little though ;-)

Last90-bowser-03.jpg [1957 Chevy]
Wow, great shot. I'm not a car fanatic but also enjoy photographing them.

Last90_Berries_-_Bob_Flint.jpg
Ugh, trying to resist my cropping thoughts :-)
It's a good shot of a beautiful scene.

Last90_Blackbirds_-_Bob_Flint.jpg
Can't resist:
Sing a song of sixpence a pocket full of rye,
Four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie.
When the pie was opened the birds began to sing,
Oh wasn't that a dainty dish to set before the king?
The king was in his counting house counting out his money,
The queen was in the parlour eating bread and honey
The maid was in the garden hanging out the clothes,
When down came a blackbird and pecked off her nose

Last90_Bluejay_-_Bob_Flint.jpg
Bluejays are smart! I kind of like the interesting lighting, including
the green fill light - surprised how well the exposure turned out under
those conditions.

Last90_RussellDurtschi01.jpg [Sunflower and Bee]
Kind of eerie - almost dizzy back lit like that. I like it.

Last90_RussellDurtschi02.jpg [Smokey Landscape]
Again, a surreal Tim-Burton-lens sort of view :-)

Last90_RussellDurtschi03.jpg [spider]
I like spiders too. Print it up BIG and hang in the window for Halloween.

Last90_TimConway.jpg [pumpkins]
Classic stuff, I like the use of foreground and empty space for relief
in the composition.

Last90_TimConway_2.jpg [curb appeal]
Yep, nicely posed!

SI-Savageduck-Favorite-01.jpg [1935 Bugatti]
Ooh, more car drool. The background doesn't detract at all, oddly. Great
catch.

SI-Savageduck-Favorite-02.jpg [Lockheed P-38 Honey Bunny]
Is it just a little bit too tightly cropped or am I being picky? My eye
moves around a lot and I get lost a bit but overall a very strong image.

SI-Savageduck-Favorite-03.jpg [steam locomotive]
Magnificent chunk of metal there! The flash detracts some but still very
nice.

SI90_otter_giving_tree.jpg
I love it!

SI90_otter_hamilton_pool.jpg
Cool scene but my cropperator is twitching again :-|

SI90_otter_mother_and_child.jpg
I like. Funny how birds can be so sweet, in their own way.

buck bridge falls peter newman.jpg
It's a pretty cool shot for a mess :-)

early dogfight peternewman.jpg
The composition and motion blur makes me dizzy. Interesting though.

infra red pond peter newman.jpg
It's an alluring landscape, well done.

Mosaics Anniversary Troy Piggins.jpg
Wow! That's dedication. Well done.
Old October 26th 10, 01:51 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Cooper

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 09:17:40 -0500, Allen
wrote:

On 10/25/2010 7:05 AM, Bowser wrote:
A nice collection this month!

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/last90

Lower St Laurent - I'm not sure who the photographer is here. There's
no reason listed that he or she has chosen these three. I have no
idea what the first one represents. A lathe? I do like the second
one. Isolation by color works here. The beach scene seems murky and
underexposed in the lower half, but the sky is OK. If the
photographer has Photoshop, this would be a candidate for two
different exposures and a masking job.

Bob Coe - Surely, you don't think you're the first person to capture
something good by accident? Good catch, though, whether or not it was
planned.

Martha Coe - Milkweed pods: Delightful. Fence and veggies: This
could be one that is the exact opposite of Bob's...a scene that looked
like it would be interesting but turned out to be ordinary. It needs
something. Color, maybe.

Paul Furman - Lightning: Excellent capture. This photograph is like
the beach scene above where the lower area is dark and murky, but - in
this case - it works just as it is. Boat/GG Bridge: Nice photo, but
nothing special. Frisco: Really great. A whole range of elements
that all work together.

Troy Piggins - Baby: How can you miss with something like this?

Trincone - Casina: Very interesting treatment. It takes some
imagination to take a sunny, daylight photo and render it this way.

Bowser - Cars Only: Bowser usually manages to come up with something
where a snap-and-go works as well as a carefully executed composition.
He doesn't disappoint here. New Hampshi OK, but it's missing an
element to really make it interesting. Bel Air - Nostalgic, yes, but
it's one of the photos that you have to have some connection with to
appreciate.

Bob Flint - Berries: Too soft, no snap. Blackbirds: Good moment,
but also too soft. Blue Jay: Yeah, OK.

Russell Durtschi - Sunflower: Well done, sharp, and good composition.
Smokey Landscape: I can see why you picked this. Spider: Good
detail.

Tim Conway - Pumpkins: You can do better. House: Good for what it
is.

SavageDuck - Bugatti: Admittedly a great car, but the setting really
detracts. Honey Bunny: Interesting shot. Locomotive: In a shot
like this, the viewer should be able to figure out what the whole is
that this is a part of. I would have never guessed "locomotive".

Otter - Giving Tree: I can't figure out what the "giving tree"
reference is, but the photo is a great capture. Hamilton: Lacks a
central point of interest. Peahens: One of the best of the bunch
this month.

Peter Newman - Buck Bridge Falls: I agree with your first assessment.
Dogfight: Striking. InfaRed Pond: Not my thing.

Troy Piggins - Mosiac: Impressive.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old October 26th 10, 03:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

On 10/25/2010 7:05 AM, Bowser wrote:
A nice collection this month!

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/last90

Ah! Response time.

SavageDuck - Bugatti: Admittedly a great car, but the setting really
detracts.

Hey! This was a find in a racetrack paddock work area, not Pebble Beach.
It was a jewel in the grime. ;-)

Honey Bunny: Interesting shot.

OK!

Locomotive: In a shot
like this, the viewer should be able to figure out what the whole is
that this is a part of. I would have never guessed "locomotive".

What can I say? It was one of my favorites.
For the less informed viewers I explained what it was in my narrative.
Otherwise I would have left it as a capture of a piece of metal
engineering art. Perhaps titled, implying a possible political analogy,
"Translation of Linear Power to Rotational Motion."

As usual, thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

Savageduck

Old October 26th 10, 03:43 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

:
[...]

I agree with you: a very enjoyable set of pictures.

If you're not able to join us (None of us are getting any younger, BTW), we;ll
at least look forward to your comments whenever you feel like sharing them.

Monday is our late day at work, and I have to catch a 6:00 train in the
morning, so I'll just build on others' comments. ;^)

Bob
Old October 26th 10, 03:49 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Cooper

wrote:

On 10/25/2010 7:05 AM, Bowser wrote:
A nice collection this month!

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/last90

Ah! Response time.

SavageDuck - Bugatti: Admittedly a great car, but the setting really
detracts.

Hey! This was a find in a racetrack paddock work area, not Pebble Beach.
It was a jewel in the grime. ;-)

Well, my thinking is that we're judging the photograph, not the car.
I'd have picked a less exotic car that photographed better.

I understand the fascination that many males have with photographing
the rare and the exotic automobiles. Many of them approach the
work-of-art status in breathtaking design.

I can see how you can say "This was my favorite car", but offered a
different photograph when saying "This was my favorite photograph".

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old October 26th 10, 03:50 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

Default Last 90 is posted and ready for viewing!

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 17:16:08 -0700 (PDT), otter
wrote:
: On Oct 25, 9:17*am, Allen wrote:
[...]
: Hi Allen, are you in Austin too?
:
: The "Giving Tree" was taken at the Austin City Limits Music Festival
: in Zilker Park this year. The peacocks were at Mayfield. I've got
: more Austin pictures coming next month, so stay tuned. (What else do
: I have to shoot?)

That is a really fine picture. I recently had to photograph a similar event in
a very similar venue. (I'm the semi-official City Photographer in the city for
which I work.) The similarities are eerie; we even have a tree in exactly the
same position on an almost identical hill. (Our park was once a city dump.)
But the sun doesn't hit it at the right time of day, and I might not have
noticed if it did. Congratulations on a great capture!

Bob
Old October 26th 10, 04:02 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Allen[_3_]

On 10/25/2010 7:16 PM, otter wrote:
On 10/25/2010 7:05 AM, Bowser wrote:

A nice collection this month!

Thanks, Otter. I didn't think about ACL for the Giving Tree. And the
peacocks I assumed were at Mayfield or Green Pastures (Mayfield is a lot
cheaper but the food at GP is very, very good). I'm a relative newcomer
to Austin, having come here to attend UT in 1948, when the population
was about 90,000 and the jumping off point on the north side was 45th
Street. I could never leave (obviously) and I love it here. I'll watch
for your future posts. Incidentally, I read this ng just to help keep up
with what's happening in photography, having been converted to the tech
side of it in 1940, when I was 11. To say the least, I'm mobility
impaired and about the only pictures I take are family or from a car
window. I'd love to be able to participate and post some stuff, but no way!
Allen