Photo Program

Old January 31st 05, 11:45 PM
JunkMonkey

Gimp is a photo editor aimed at people willing to put in the time to learn a
difficult and quirky piece of software (it's a good editor, but let's call a
spade a spade - it's quirky as all hell and every bit as difficult to learn
as Photoshop).

Picasa is a photo organizer aimed at casual users and beginners that does
(VERY) simple editing. Recommending GIMP for this type of user will choke
all the joy out of their digiphoto experience and convince them digital
photography is just too hard for them to do.

Sometimes, GIMP is not the answer. (While I'm thinking about it, this goes
for Irfanview as well.)

Mac users who want something like Picasa have plenty of good options, no
need to send them off on a difficult tangent!

wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:18:40 GMT, "JunkMonkey"
wrote:

Emulators are by their nature slow, buggy, and work only with a VERY

small
subset of programs available for the emulated OS. Only a masochist would
use a program in emulated mode rather than using an equivalent program
written for the native mode OS.

That being said, Picasa is clearly aimed at the casual user or the

beginner.
Even though I'm a PC guy, I'm reasonably certain there are PLENTY of Mac
programs aimed at this segment of the MAC market.

Is GIMP available for the Mac? It's freeware and quite powerful.

Gary J Sibio

http://home.earthlink.net/~garysibio/

I need a trepaning like I need a hole in my head.

Old February 1st 05, 01:37 AM
MartinS

"JunkMonkey" wrote:

Sometimes, GIMP is not the answer. (While I'm thinking about it,
this goes for Irfanview as well.)

What's wrong with Irfanview? It's one of the most useful pieces of
freeware available. It does all the basic stuff for photo editing -
crop, resize, brightness/contrast, red-eye removal, etc.

--
Martin S.

Old February 2nd 05, 03:08 PM
Melba's Jammin'

In article , "BobH"
wrote:

"I'd consider it if it were compatible with Macintosh computers".

How many years have Macintosh users been saying that phrase?

I've no idea. What's your point?
--
-Barb, www.jamlady.eboard.com Winter Carnival ice sculpture pics
added 1-30-05.
Old February 9th 05, 04:20 PM
William Davis

In article ews.net,
MartinS wrote:

"JunkMonkey" wrote:

Sometimes, GIMP is not the answer. (While I'm thinking about it,
this goes for Irfanview as well.)

What's wrong with Irfanview? It's one of the most useful pieces of
freeware available. It does all the basic stuff for photo editing -
crop, resize, brightness/contrast, red-eye removal, etc.

Just to note that if that basic stuff is all that's needed - iPhoto
which comes bundled free with every Mac has all that and more.

The "move up" would be Graphic Converter - which adds MUCH more
capability and is proven, robust shareware.

And if you need serious photo retouching, Photoshop arguably started the
industry on the Mac platform - before spreading out into the PC world.

FWIW
Old March 16th 05, 04:52 PM
Kerry Evans

Well, might as well plug another freeware photo editing program. I have
used it with good results. Vicman at:

http://www.photo-editor.net/