question about transferring from camera to computer

Old November 16th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MovieMaker13

Default question about transferring from camera to computer

I am new to using professional camera camera equipment and i have some
questions.

I am currently shooting in 24p on a Canon XL2, i do not want to use
the XL2 for playback into the computer.

So if I use my low level mini DV camcorder to transfer the video to
the computer, will the quality of the video suffer?
Will it change the frame rate? Can i buy a mini DV playback deck for a
few hundred dollars, because every one I've seen runs over a grand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LW
Old November 16th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ali[_3_]

Old November 16th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "MovieMaker13" ?????? ??? ??????
I am new to using professional camera camera equipment and i have some
questions.

I am currently shooting in 24p on a Canon XL2, i do not want to use
the XL2 for playback into the computer.

So if I use my low level mini DV camcorder to transfer the video to
the computer, will the quality of the video suffer?

No.DV being a digital format, it doesn't suffer from generation loss.The
quality will be similar to the one you get if you connect your camera to the
TV via A/V.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camcorder
You must get a firewire PCI card, firewire cable, and software to
capture/edit/author the dvd.The firewire interface allows the video to be
transferred in real time.My firewire card cost 15 euros, complete with
cable, and ulead video studio(the software)
Will it change the frame rate? Can i buy a mini DV playback deck for a
few hundred dollars, because every one I've seen runs over a grand.

Yes, that's because they are considered professional apparatus.You have a
very good mini dv playback deck-your camcorder.No, the quality will not be
diminished at all, nor the frame rate.After all, a camcorder is a camera
with a miniature VCR, in that case a mini DV VCR.(I have the sony dcr hc
32-e which sells here for 350 euros-now discontinued).
ould be greatly appreciated.

Better ask in rec.video.misc:-0
HTH,

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Old November 16th 07, 08:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MovieMaker13

On Nov 16, 11:18 am, George Kerby wrote:
On 11/16/07 10:19 AM, in article
,

"MovieMaker13" wrote:
I am new to using professional camera camera equipment and i have some
questions.

I am currently shooting in 24p on a Canon XL2, i do not want to use
the XL2 for playback into the computer.

So if I use my low level mini DV camcorder to transfer the video to
the computer, will the quality of the video suffer?
Will it change the frame rate? Can i buy a mini DV playback deck for a
few hundred dollars, because every one I've seen runs over a grand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LW

BTW: WHY do you not want to use the camera you used to record the tape to
dump to the 'puter?

Just curious.

It saves wear and tear on the camera heads, which will keep the camera
from having to be serviced as often. remember VHS tape rewinders?
they operated on the same principle.
Old November 18th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "George Kerby" ?????? ??? ??????

On 11/16/07 2:57 PM, in article
,

"MovieMaker13" wrote:
I am new to using professional camera camera equipment and i have some
questions.

I am currently shooting in 24p on a Canon XL2, i do not want to use
the XL2 for playback into the computer.

So if I use my low level mini DV camcorder to transfer the video to
the computer, will the quality of the video suffer?
Will it change the frame rate? Can i buy a mini DV playback deck for a
few hundred dollars, because every one I've seen runs over a grand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LW

BTW: WHY do you not want to use the camera you used to record the tape

dump to the 'puter?

Just curious.

It saves wear and tear on the camera heads, which will keep the camera
from having to be serviced as often. remember VHS tape rewinders?
they operated on the same principle.

Then I would dump using the original camera (less dropouts) and transfer

the
tape to the cheaper unit for shuttling the tape. My .02

AFAIK, that was valid for VCRs in the early 80s.Today's VCRs have brushless
motors and much more advanced lacing/transport mechanisms.Also,IMHO the
camera will become obsolete long before there is siginificant wear on the
heads:-))