ZOOMING IN ON THE 40D !

Old October 1st 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

Default ZOOMING IN ON THE 40D !

Went up on the mountain today to enjoy the moderate temperatures and
the clear, blue skies. Took this shot with the 40D and the 17-40L.
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/86476326

Then, just for ****s and giggles, I started stacking teleconverters on
the 400 f/5.6L.
Here is the zoomed-in view of the highlighted portion of the first
pic.
(That's an original size file from the 40D so you'll have to scroll
around in the pic.)

That's 400mm * 2x * 1.4x = 1120mm.
Figure in the 40D's 1.6x crop factor and you've got an Effective Focal
Length of 1792mm (film equivalent).

Now try doing THAT with your crappy Point and Shoot!

Old October 1st 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
AnnikaInsecurityDetector

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 18:42:33 -0700, Annika1980 wrote:

Went up on the mountain today to enjoy the moderate temperatures and
the clear, blue skies. Took this shot with the 40D and the 17-40L.
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/86476326

Then, just for ****s and giggles, I started stacking teleconverters on
the 400 f/5.6L.
Here is the zoomed-in view of the highlighted portion of the first
pic.
(That's an original size file from the 40D so you'll have to scroll
around in the pic.)

That's 400mm * 2x * 1.4x = 1120mm.
Figure in the 40D's 1.6x crop factor and you've got an Effective Focal
Length of 1792mm (film equivalent).

Now try doing THAT with your crappy Point and Shoot!

Already been done. 432mm x 2.0 x 2.0 = 1728mm

Big deal.

All optical zoom.

Plus it all, camera and converters, weighs less than just ONE of your lenses
and can fit in 1 large pocket or 2 average pockets. Dare I mention for how much
less it all cost too? No, you'd have a stroke.

Boy, are you ever insecure about your purchase.

Keep trying to justify it. I'm sure you'll figure out why you bought that POS
some day.

When you finally figure out how to use a camera and what really matters in
photography you'll start looking at P&S cameras too. Then again, you're not too
bright. I suspect you'll keep making the same mistakes the rest of your life. In
fact I'm sure of it, you've been at it for how long now and have never learned
one damn thing.

Old October 1st 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

On Sep 30, 9:55 pm, AnnikaInsecurityDetector
wrote:

Boy, are you ever insecure about your purchase.

Keep trying to justify it. I'm sure you'll figure out why you bought that POS
some day.

LOL! I got it for free! WHO RULES?

Old October 1st 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Atheist Chaplain[_2_]

Default troll alert

and thus the green eyed monster rears its ugly head :-)

Don Hirschberg

Old October 1st 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
D-MAC

ups.com...
wrote:

Boy, are you ever insecure about your purchase.

Keep trying to justify it. I'm sure you'll figure out why you bought that
POS
some day.

LOL! I got it for free! WHO RULES?

Well I do actually...

My P&S - "the perfectly pleasant Panasonic" can actually do better than
that. No magic involved. Just stack a couple of 2X elements in front of the
fixed Leica lens and I don't lose any aperture. It remains F/2.8 or F/3.7
right out to 1680mm Focal length (35mm equivalent)

So Bret... Scoff all you like, I can fit my 1680mm F/3.7 lens in my shirt
pocket. The clarity of the images is not too shabby either. At least as good
as your noise riddled example. **** & Skite...

Who Rules in this ****ing competition?
D-MAC does!!!!

Doug

Old October 1st 07, 03:39 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital

wrote:

Boy, are you ever insecure about your purchase.

Keep trying to justify it. I'm sure you'll figure out why you bought that POS
some day.

LOL! I got it for free! WHO RULES?

You got it for free and yet you are _still_ this insecure on whether it's worth
having or not?

Wow.

Yeah, okay, you rule alright. Consider yourself the bona fide Usenet King of the
paranoid and insecure.

To be perfectly honest you should sell it to someone less experienced. Someone
who has no self-worth nor photography skill and is just dying to try to impress
everyone with their new DSLR. So they can try to show everyone how much more
superior they must be now because nothing else has ever worked before. You know,
someone just like you. With the money you could then get 10 or more of the best
P&S cameras available that can do all that it can do and hundreds of things that
it will never do.

But we all know that you're way too "smart" to figure that out.

You are, after all, the one who is smart enough to be "Ruler".

Oh nurse? Can you check in on this one for the next couple of days? It appears
to be going into a self-doubt, decision-justification, melt-down--with the same
magnitude as The China-Syndrome.

Old October 1st 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
JohnR66

"Annika1980" wrote in message
ups.com...
Went up on the mountain today to enjoy the moderate temperatures and
the clear, blue skies. Took this shot with the 40D and the 17-40L.
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/86476326

Then, just for ****s and giggles, I started stacking teleconverters on
the 400 f/5.6L.
Here is the zoomed-in view of the highlighted portion of the first
pic.
(That's an original size file from the 40D so you'll have to scroll
around in the pic.)

That's 400mm * 2x * 1.4x = 1120mm.
Figure in the 40D's 1.6x crop factor and you've got an Effective Focal
Length of 1792mm (film equivalent).

Now try doing THAT with your crappy Point and Shoot!

My A630 don't quite zoom that far ;-)

I like the painterly effect. A lot of the softness comes from the air
currents that is evident on the roofline of the house. What causes the noise
at ISO 100 though?

When's the leaves expected to change down there? I'm planing a trip down to
the mountains (SMNP) for some shots.
John

Old October 1st 07, 03:56 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Troll Detector[_3_]

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 02:27:07 GMT, "Atheist Chaplain" wrote:

and thus the green eyed monster rears its ugly head :-)

Thanks for warning us about you.

plonk

Old October 1st 07, 03:56 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

D-Mac wrote:

My P&S - "the perfectly pleasant Panasonic" can actually do better than
that. No magic involved. Just stack a couple of 2X elements in front of the
fixed Leica lens and I don't lose any aperture. It remains F/2.8 or F/3.7
right out to 1680mm Focal length (35mm equivalent)

You mean +2 diopter closeup lenses?
Those ain't teleconverters.
Old October 1st 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
CliveBaxter

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 19:56:50 -0700, Paul Furman wrote:

D-Mac wrote:

My P&S - "the perfectly pleasant Panasonic" can actually do better than
that. No magic involved. Just stack a couple of 2X elements in front of the
fixed Leica lens and I don't lose any aperture. It remains F/2.8 or F/3.7
right out to 1680mm Focal length (35mm equivalent)

You mean +2 diopter closeup lenses?
Those ain't teleconverters.

Do you always assume everyone makes the same mistakes that you make?

How anyone can read "2X" (tele-converter) as "+2" (close-up diopter) is beyond
me. The clues are in the content if you had bothered to read it. Two +2 diopter
close-up filters do not increase the camera lens' focal-length by 4.