Transferring Pix from CF card to computer

Old July 4th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Transferring Pix from CF card to computer

My digital pictures are on a CF memory card.
I have a card reader built into my recently
purchased computer. OS is XP Hpme. To burn CD's
installed on computer is Nero StartSmart.
There is also Windows Media player.
I assume Windows Media Player is for burning
audio CD's and data.

Last night I inserted CF card into reader slot
and tried to burn the JPEG pictures onto a CD-R
I could not accomplish this after many tries.
I ended up transferring the CF card pictures to
a file in My Documents. This worked OK.

What is the correct procedure to transfer the
CF memory card pictures first to the computer
and then burn to a CD-R.
Do you have to create a file on the computer
hard drive.
Is MY Computer file on the hard drive? Or somewhere
else?

Thanks in advance
Denny B
Old July 4th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Denny B wrote:
[...]

I usually transfer them to My Documents/My Pictures, or a sub-folder I have
created under this folder.

Old July 4th 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Denny B" wrote in message
[...]

To burn directly from CF card to a blank CD, you first need to check to see
if the CD drive is setup for this. Its not the same as using Nero.

From Mycomputer, highlight the CD drive icon, then right click on it and
select Properties. Under the Recording tab, select Enable CD Recording On
This Drive.

Now when you copy and paste (or drop and drag), it should work.. It works
for me.

Email me at rudy at rudybenner dot com and let me know if all is well or
not.

Old July 4th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

A file is a digital object such as a text document, movie, audio file or
photo - whatever.
A folder is where the files live. Liken the PC to a filing cabinet and the
folders with within the cabinet are folders. Each folder has it's own
descriptive name, no 2 can be the same name at the same level.
In 'My Computer', the CF card appears as just another drive on your PC so
create a folder (call it 'temp image dump' maybe?) in My Docs, copy or move
all the image files to that folder from the CF 'drive' and then in Nero,
select the data CD option, select all the files in the temp folder to the CD
compilation and follow the prompts to burn the CD.
Up to you what you do with the CF and temp folder's contents but you can
work that out.
Jock

Old July 4th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Denny B wrote:
[...]

The process of copying or moving files to a CD can get
messed up if the files aren't available to the CD burner in
a timely way. You are probably having trouble because the
transfer from the card reader is too slow. Copying from
card to HD, then to CD should work easily.

"My Computer" is the name of a program on your HD that
indexes drives, including hard drives, disk drives, and
devices such as a card reader. That includes drives on your
computer and others that are available to your computer
through a network.
Old July 4th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Denny B wrote:
[...]

To simplify: First copy your pictures from the flash card to the HD.
Then drag the pictures you want onto the CD drive icon in windows
Explorer. This will bring up the CDR writing feature of XP, and you can
let it write the pictures to the CD. It is never a good idea to have
the computer doing anything while trying to write to CD as this is a
time critical operation. Newer, faster computers, and better CD drives
have made the process more reliable, but it never hurts to err on the
side of care.

As for the 'my computer' 'file', it is not a real file, or directory at
all, but just a way of referring to everything on your machine.
Old July 5th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Ron Hunter wrote:
snip

As for the 'my computer' 'file', it is not a real file, or directory at
all, but just a way of referring to everything on your machine.

It is indeed a program, the Win XP equivalent of Windows
Explorer.
Old July 6th 06, 08:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Marvin wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:
snip

As for the 'my computer' 'file', it is not a real file, or directory
at all, but just a way of referring to everything on your machine.

It is indeed a program, the Win XP equivalent of Windows Explorer.

NOT!
It is a virtual folder that contains (or displays) all the devices on
the WinXP computer.
Old July 11th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stewy

In article ,
Ron Hunter wrote:

Marvin wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:
snip

As for the 'my computer' 'file', it is not a real file, or directory
at all, but just a way of referring to everything on your machine.

It is indeed a program, the Win XP equivalent of Windows Explorer.

NOT!
It is a virtual folder that contains (or displays) all the devices on
the WinXP computer.

My Computer is simply the icon for you internal hard disc.

Better to partition your drive and leave all that Windows stuff (and
apps) within My Computer and save all your work to the partition.

Or you could do it the 'Mac way' and keep all your work on the desktop.

The safer alternative would be an external drive - either Firewire or
the faster USB 2 -a friend recently bought a Toshiba 250gb drive for £79
so they're not that expensive.