fire builder

Old November 30th 15, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
John McWilliams

Default fire builder

On 2015-11-25 23:05:01 +0000, PeterN said:

This guy wanted wood for his fire.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/_20151122_Bronz%20Zoo_0645.jpg

Another nice capture. However, was he moving, or shaking his head, or is
there some other reason everything is OoF?

Camera shake. What shutter speed? Lens?
Old November 30th 15, 03:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 2015-11-25 23:05:01 +0000, PeterN said:

This guy wanted wood for his fire.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/_20151122_Bronz%20Zoo_0645.jpg

Another nice capture. However, was he moving, or shaking his head, or is
there some other reason everything is OoF?

Camera shake. What shutter speed? Lens?

Please read a head. I was using my 80 - 400 @ 1/125 sec, on a monopod. I
think Me hit the nail on the head. I was not using continuous focus and
the VR had not had time to stabilize when I pushed the shutter.

--
PeterN
Old November 30th 15, 03:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-11-25 23:05:01 +0000, PeterN said:

This guy wanted wood for his fire.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/_20151122_Bronz%20Zoo_0645.jpg

Another nice capture. However, was he moving, or shaking his head, or is
there some other reason everything is OoF?

Camera shake. What shutter speed? Lens?

Please read a head. I was using my 80 - 400 @ 1/125 sec, on a monopod.
I think Me hit the nail on the head. I was not using continuous focus
and the VR had not had time to stabilize when I pushed the shutter.

VR stabilizing had nothing to do with the camera movement, It would
have been able to deal with any normal movement. As the entire image
shows the problem it isn't an OoF issue, but a serious case of camera
movement/shake that was beyond the capability of even the VRII in that
lens.
A likely suspect was possibly having the shutter release option set to
"Release" rather than "Focus", combined with camera movement that you
were responsible for. Even more likely was you being over enthusiastic
in making the capture and not having the camera stable at the instant
of shutter release.

Sorry Peter, this was all pilot error. :-(

Savageduck

Old November 30th 15, 03:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 2015-11-25 23:05:01 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

Of course it was. I certainly have strong interest in learning why I
screwed up. That is, what can I do to avoid similar mistakes in the future.
I know my shooting style. The setting was for focus then release. VR can
take time to stabilize when the focus setting is not CF. I did not have
focus tracking on. Read Me's posting on the subject. I think he hit the
nail on the head.

--
PeterN
Old November 30th 15, 04:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
John McWilliams

On 11/29/15 PDT 7:54 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 11/29/2015 10:28 PM, Savageduck wrote:

Sorry Peter, this was all pilot error. :-(

Of course it was. I certainly have strong interest in learning why I
screwed up. That is, what can I do to avoid similar mistakes in the future.
I know my shooting style. The setting was for focus then release. VR can
take time to stabilize when the focus setting is not CF. I did not have
focus tracking on. Read Me's posting on the subject. I think he hit the
nail on the head.

So did I, but you chose to chastise me for posting without having read
all subthreads.
Old December 1st 15, 01:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN

On 11/30/2015 11:45 AM, John McWilliams wrote:
On 11/29/15 PDT 7:54 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 11/29/2015 10:28 PM, Savageduck wrote:

Sorry Peter, this was all pilot error. :-(

Of course it was. I certainly have strong interest in learning why I
screwed up. That is, what can I do to avoid similar mistakes in the
future.
I know my shooting style. The setting was for focus then release. VR can
take time to stabilize when the focus setting is not CF. I did not have
focus tracking on. Read Me's posting on the subject. I think he hit the
nail on the head.

So did I, but you chose to chastise me for posting without having read
all subthreads.

Please don't take my comments as disparaging in any manner. If anything
I said sounded like chastising, it was unintentional and I apologize.

--
PeterN