Besides me, how many folks in this NG are still using 35mm film?

Old October 10th 10, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Nebenzahl

Default Besides me, how many folks in this NG are still using 35mm film?

On 10/8/2010 9:28 PM Noons spake thus:

Cheesehead wrote,on my timestamp of 6/10/2010 11:30 PM:

I really miss APX100. It was my all-time 4x5 favorite film. Awesome
stuff.

Hmmmm, I'd give Fuji Acros 100 and even Neopan 400 a try, if I were you. In
Rodinal 1:100, low-ag, quite frankly, as good as. Same with DD-X as the
developer.

Please don't ruin perfectly good film by using Rodinal. There are much
better developers available today (some of which are nearly as old as
that old Agfa formula).

Old October 11th 10, 07:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-10-10 21:45:28 -0700, Noons said:

On Oct 10, 7:24*am, dickr2 wrote:

BTW: I still have 8mm home movies that my father took in the 1940s and a

working
Revere projector along with prints and negatives dating from the 20s-30s.

Dang! you just reminded me I have to glue-up my 8mm rolls to take
them to the "scan-man" for scanning into dvd!
(off to polish the diamond tip in my Shure M95 pick-up...)

....and here I am with my antique Shure V15 type IV.

Savageduck

Old October 11th 10, 06:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Nebenzahl

On 10/10/2010 11:42 PM Savageduck spake thus:

On 2010-10-10 21:45:28 -0700, Noons said:

On Oct 10, 7:24 am, dickr2 wrote:

BTW: I still have 8mm home movies that my father took in the
1940s and a working Revere projector along with prints and
negatives dating from the 20s-30s.

Dang! you just reminded me I have to glue-up my 8mm rolls to take
them to the "scan-man" for scanning into dvd!
(off to polish the diamond tip in my Shure M95 pick-up...)

...and here I am with my antique Shure V15 type IV.

.... and I only wish I could re-grind my styli (Signet TK7: very
expensive phonographic jewelry) ...

Old October 12th 10, 11:44 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Rol_Lei Nut

On 10/6/2010 15:30, Cheesehead wrote:
On Oct 5, 10:31 pm, wrote:
Cheesehead wrote,on my timestamp of 6/10/2010 5:53 AM:

On Oct 3, 10:10 pm, wrote:
On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 13:26:12 +0200, Rol_Lei Nut

wrote:
Certainly not "stuck" with 35mm (and 6x7), just enjoying it... ;-)

Yep. I also like to slit film and reload 110 cassettes to use my
Pentax Auto 110 now and then. Mostly digital, but there's a certain
look you get from film that I like.

I always wondered how APX25 or APX100 would do in the Pentax Auto 110.

Holy Agfa! I thought I was pretty extreme, but you two are dedicated film
users! Well done!

I really miss APX100. It was my all-time 4x5 favorite film. Awesome
stuff.

Fotoimpex.de has 110 (and other) film, at least in colour negative.
Minox film of all kinds is no problem.

Also, Agfapan 100 currently lives on as itself as well as "Rollei Retro
Original", at least in 35mm. An updated version should be coming out
soon as "Adox 100".

So much for the "film is dead" crowd...

Old October 12th 10, 06:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
rwalker

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 12:44:35 +0200, Rol_Lei Nut
wrote:

Fotoimpex.de has 110 (and other) film, at least in colour negative.
Minox film of all kinds is no problem.

Also, Agfapan 100 currently lives on as itself as well as "Rollei Retro
Original", at least in 35mm. An updated version should be coming out
soon as "Adox 100".

So much for the "film is dead" crowd...

Thanks for that link. My German is very rusty, but it's still good
enough to navigate the site.
Old October 13th 10, 07:25 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Rol_Lei Nut

wrote:

Fotoimpex.de has 110 (and other) film, at least in colour negative.
Minox film of all kinds is no problem.

Also, Agfapan 100 currently lives on as itself as well as "Rollei Retro
Original", at least in 35mm. An updated version should be coming out
soon as "Adox 100".

So much for the "film is dead" crowd...

Thanks for that link. My German is very rusty, but it's still good
enough to navigate the site.

There is also an English version of the site and there is a very similar
shop in the U.S. (can't remember now, maybe Adox- or Ansco- something?).

Old October 13th 10, 06:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Nebenzahl

On 10/12/2010 11:52 PM Noons spake thus:

On Oct 11, 6:40 am, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 10/8/2010 9:28 PM Noons spake thus:

Cheesehead wrote,on my timestamp of 6/10/2010 11:30 PM:

I really miss APX100. It was my all-time 4x5 favorite film.
Awesome stuff.

Hmmmm, I'd give Fuji Acros 100 and even Neopan 400 a try, if I
were you. In Rodinal 1:100, low-ag, quite frankly, as good as.
Same with DD-X as the developer.

Please don't ruin perfectly good film by using Rodinal. There are
much better developers available today (some of which are nearly as
old as that old Agfa formula).

Beg to disagree. Developer use is a highly subjective experience,
hardly compatible with "sweeping claims" on age of said developer
formula. Besides if you think Rodinal is old, what is hc110: bleeding
edge technology?

Well, as I said, the better developers are also old. I wouldn't use
HC-110 as a comparison. D-76 is probably as old as Rodinal and a much
better choice in most cases.

And yes, of course it is subjective to some extent, but D-76 is so much
better, demonstrably, than Rodinal (in terms of grain size, certainly)
that there's not much of an argument possible here. (Unless, of course,
on is actually going for grainy prints.)

Old October 13th 10, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete[_8_]

On 2010-10-13 18:07:47 +0100, David Nebenzahl said:

[...]

I'm only trying to learn: I thought HC-110 and D-76 were
interchangeable so I'm curious to know the difference.

--
Pete

Old October 13th 10, 07:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Pete wrote:
I'm only trying to learn: I thought HC-110 and D-76 were
interchangeable so I'm curious to know the difference.

D-76 is only available as a powder (although I think the formula is well
known and can be found on the net), HC-110 is only available as a liquid.
In the US it's a syrup, in the rest of the world it's a more dilute liquid.

Many people have called HC-110 "D-76 liquid" or "D-76 in a bottle". HC-110
can be several different developers depending upon the dilution, and one of
them (I no longer remember which) produces results very similar to D-76.

As for Rodinal, it produces SHARPER negatives with large grain at low dilutions,
at high dilutions it produces finer grain.

If you have the time, the film and the developer, it pays to try these things
for yourself and see what combination you like the best.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order
Old October 13th 10, 10:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete[_8_]

On 2010-10-13 19:04:04 +0100, Geoffrey S. Mendelson said:

Pete wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the explanation, Geoff. It's been far too long since I used
them, however, I do remember that Rodinal could produce more acutance
or finer grain according to its dilution - very clever chemistry.
Digital attempts to emulate this with sharpening, but I wish I had the
knowledge, energy and facilities to carry on exploring T-MAX film.

A very long time ago I was asked to take some monochrome photos of a
band for their PR. I shot on both XP2 and T-MAX: the band preferred the
XP2 and I liked the T-MAX, I never will know why.

--
Pete