[SI] Mandate substitution

Old September 24th 10, 01:25 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

Default Mandate substitution

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 08:26:13 +1000, Troy Piggins
wrote:
: * otter wrote :
: On Sep 23, 4:30*pm, Pete wrote:
: [---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 29 lines snipped |=---]
: thank Bowser and all the contributors for there time and effort. Simply
: brilliant.
:
: I'm not sure everyone wants feedback on their submissions. And a lot
: of people don't take criticism well. So, I have elected to not tear
: apart pictures posted by others, unless they have given a clear
: indication that they want such feedback and are able to take it
: constructively without being defensive.
:
: I'm also not going to nitpick every small detail. If I see something
: that would be obviously better some other way, I might comment on it,
: but otherwise not.
:
: And sometimes I'm too busy with other things to get involved with
: this. You know, the life of a corporate dullard and all.
:
: Not that I've had a chance to submit the last few SIs, but when I
: do get the next chance, please note that I do appreciate all
: comments and critiques. It's how we learn. If noone provides
: feedback, you'll just keep taking the same sort of photos and may
: not improve.

Those new to the SI may not realize that Troy is a master of macro
photography. His recent absence has been our loss.

Bob
Old September 24th 10, 01:57 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Troy Piggins[_42_]

* Robert Coe wrote :
* Troy Piggins wrote :

snip /
: Not that I've had a chance to submit the last few SIs, but when I
: do get the next chance, please note that I do appreciate all
: comments and critiques. It's how we learn. If noone provides
: feedback, you'll just keep taking the same sort of photos and may
: not improve.

Those new to the SI may not realize that Troy is a master of macro
photography. His recent absence has been our loss.

Bob

Thanks Bob, but I think you're being too kind.
I've been far too busy in my personal and professional life to be
able to do much macro photography, let alone photography in
general. I was so desperate that I even shot some baby insects
in my laundry the other day just to get a macro-fix

It did get me keen again, and with spring arriving here I've
organised a bit of a meet with some others to go macro shooting
this weekend. Just hope the weather is kind. Really looking
forward to it.

I have at least one shot in mind for "favourites", and will
attempt to get something together for "night shots" and
"panoramas" as I really enjoy both of those genres.

--
Troy Piggins
Old September 24th 10, 05:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
LOL![_3_]

Default [SI] Mandate substitution

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 19:54:08 -0400, tony cooper
wrote:

Do you think anyone cares if, for example, "LOL" (by any name)
dismisses their comment? No one here pays the slightest bit of
attention to that person. He's a joke, and he's the only person here
who doesn't know he's a joke.

Then it wouldn't bother you enough to have even mentioned it. What's the
matter? My pointing out that your clone-crap (with obvious copied details)
on some mundane crapshot that was missing important shading to make it the
least bit believable, showing everyone what a horse-**** photographer and
editor that you are, was too much for ya?

LOL!!!!!

BTW: We're ALL still waiting for you to post PROOF about my having posted
"rare moths" or my claiming to have them named after me. Your failure to do
so PROVES that you are a lying, sniveling, slandering and libelous
****head. Or don't you realize that yet?

Lie, slander, and libel much? You ****ingly useless ****-TROLLER.

LOL!

Old September 24th 10, 09:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Pete[_8_]

On 2010-09-24 00:54:08 +0100, tony cooper said:

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 22:30:02 +0100, Pete

On 2010-09-23 21:02:14 +0100, Troy Piggins said:

* Bowser wrote :
Due to popular demand, the "Open" mandate has been dumped in favor of
Night Shots. Now quit complaining. I don't get paid for this.

Excellent point and it appears that everyone needs reminding of
this. For what it's worth, you do have my support and
appreciation for the time (your own time) and effort (volunteered
and without paY) involved in keeping the ShootIn going.

My support also.

To address Tony C's comments about lack of feedback, I do not feel
worthy of commenting on the images because:

1. I have not submitted anything myself.

In my opinion, this should not be a factor in any way. The point of
the comments is for the person submitting the images to see how other
people view his photographs. Good? Bad? Cropped to the most
effective composition? Interesting? Is there a distraction that the
photographer doesn't see but the viewer does?

2. My skills are less than that of the contributors.

Unimportant. You have the skill to see a photograph and know if you
like it or not and what you do and don't like about it.

Whenever I travel to larger cities, I try to visit art museums. I've
been to all the major museums in most of the major cities in the US
and some in Europe.

I can't draw a smiley face and can only use a brush to paint a wall.
That doesn't mean that I can't form opinions about art.

3. Many posts have shown that "I like this image" is lame and inappropriate.

If there are ten images and you comment ten times "I like this", then
you really are not contributing. If you add why you like it to seven
of them, you are contributing.

4. Giving positive feedback for one or two images could be interpreted
as "so the others were crap", which is not the case.

Several people do that. Some people don't like to say anything
negative about any contribution. Still, the few you do comment on
makes your contribution worthwhile.

5. Nearly everything I post ends up in being "dismissed by the teachers".

I don't understand this comment. Who dismisses your input? There are
a few people here who dismiss everything and anyone, but no one pays
any attention to them.

Do you think anyone cares if, for example, "LOL" (by any name)
dismisses their comment? No one here pays the slightest bit of
attention to that person. He's a joke, and he's the only person here
who doesn't know he's a joke.

Thanks Tony, understood.

--
Pete

Old September 24th 10, 12:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

"Nervous Nick" wrote in message
On Sep 23, 11:36 am, Bowser wrote:
Due to popular demand, the "Open" mandate has been dumped in favor of
Night Shots. Now quit complaining. I don't get paid for this.

I'll spot you a tenner if you need it.

nah, I'm good. I just forgot my little smiley emoticon after the whining.

A pint would be nice, though...

Old October 9th 10, 08:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Troy Piggins[_43_]

* Annika1980 wrote :
On Sep 23, 8:57Â*pm, Troy Piggins wrote:

I've been far too busy in my personal and professional life to be
able to do much macro photography, let alone photography in
general. Â*I was so desperate that I even shot some baby insects
in my laundry the other day just to get a macro-fix

Nobody wants to see your crabs.

Trust you to interpret my words that way. Haha

--
Troy Piggins
Old October 10th 10, 05:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

On 2010-09-23 21:02:14 +0100, Troy Piggins said:

* Bowser wrote :
Due to popular demand, the "Open" mandate has been dumped in favor of
Night Shots. Now quit complaining. I don't get paid for this.

Excellent point and it appears that everyone needs reminding of
this. For what it's worth, you do have my support and
appreciation for the time (your own time) and effort (volunteered
and without paY) involved in keeping the ShootIn going.

My support also.

Yep, it's been running very nicely, thanks Bowser!

Critiquing is a big difficult job for me. Often it turns into a crazy
annoying mess where I offend people or feel awkward with cheesy
comments, I didn't manage to comment this round but I comment when I can
and take that part of the assignment very seriously. I tend not to take
the mandate too seriously - just shoot what I shoot and pick something
that fits somewhat but yes the comments are mainly what I get out of the
SI and I appreciate those who do so.

To address Tony C's comments about lack of feedback, I do not feel
worthy of commenting on the images because:

1. I have not submitted anything myself.

2. My skills are less than that of the contributors.

3. Many posts have shown that "I like this image" is lame and
inappropriate.

4. Giving positive feedback for one or two images could be interpreted
as "so the others were crap", which is not the case.

5. Nearly everything I post ends up in being "dismissed by the teachers".

I've thoroughly enjoyed every SI I've seen and take this opportunity to

Old October 10th 10, 05:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 10-09-23 17:30 , Pete wrote:

To address Tony C's comments about lack of feedback, I do not feel
worthy of commenting on the images because:

1. I have not submitted anything myself.

Not a good enough reason not to comment - but perhaps one should temper
them appropriately in that case.

2. My skills are less than that of the contributors.

So what? Try a mandate and you'll learn something, probably improve by
doing it.

3. Many posts have shown that "I like this image" is lame and
inappropriate.

Criticism takes effort. Most people don't realize that. You have to as
much take in the "first draught" and relate to that as look at the whole
and the parts.

4. Giving positive feedback for one or two images could be interpreted
as "so the others were crap", which is not the case.

Not at all. On some SI's there are only a few well done images - others
there may be many. If a photo isn't captivating enough to comment on,
why bother?

5. Nearly everything I post ends up in being "dismissed by the teachers".

So what? Throw away your teddy bear and try harder on the next mandate.
Do a bit of research first and then try to either imitate someone else
out there to a degree (one way of learning) or if you come up with a
fresh idea, then attempt to bring it forth (another way of learning).

Often the voyage is more rewarding than reaching the destination.

I've thoroughly enjoyed every SI I've seen and take this opportunity to
thank Bowser and all the contributors for there time and effort. Simply
brilliant.

Indeed. It takes time and it can be like herding cats. But recall that
all of Bowser's efforts would be for naught if people do not participate
and contribute.

The SI is about _doing_. And some do better and some not so well.

But better to have tried and learned than to snipe from the sidelines
like some prefer to do. That's not aimed at you, if I need to say it.

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
Old October 11th 10, 09:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete[_8_]

On 2010-10-10 17:41:45 +0100, Alan Browne said:

On 10-09-23 17:30 , Pete wrote:

[...]

Oh gosh, yes.

I've thoroughly enjoyed every SI I've seen and take this opportunity to
thank Bowser and all the contributors for there time and effort. Simply
brilliant.

Indeed. It takes time and it can be like herding cats. But recall that
all of Bowser's efforts would be for naught if people do not
participate and contribute.

The SI is about _doing_. And some do better and some not so well.

But better to have tried and learned than to snipe from the sidelines
like some prefer to do. That's not aimed at you, if I need to say it.

Thanks Alan, all points absorbed.

--
Pete

Old October 13th 10, 04:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

On 10/12/10 PDT 11:53 PM, Noons wrote:
On Oct 12, 11:15 am, wrote:

Criticism takes effort.

For some of us it comes easy.
Accepting criticism, on the other hand, is a trait that a few people
have yet to master.
Like that buttmunch, Noons, for example.

Or that low-life troll, Bret Douglas, for example.

Number one PKB of 2010!

Slog off, noonsie.