I bought the bullet.

Old October 2nd 10, 04:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

Default I bought the bullet.

Well, I finally "bought the bullet" and purchased a D700 reconditioned from
Nikon. It was recommended to me by Jason Kirby at whichdslrtobuy.com It has
a full frame sensor and will operate much like my F5 and use the same lens
set. This is important to me, since I spent years accumulating my Nikkors
and didn't want them to go to waste. My D 700 won't operate at full
functionality with all my lenses, but it will operate to some degree with
all of them, and this is good enough for me.

Old October 2nd 10, 04:25 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

Old October 2nd 10, 12:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 20:14:27 -0700, "Bill Graham" wrote:
: Well, I finally "bought the bullet" and purchased a D700 reconditioned from
: Nikon. It was recommended to me by Jason Kirby at whichdslrtobuy.com It has
: a full frame sensor and will operate much like my F5 and use the same lens
: set. This is important to me, since I spent years accumulating my Nikkors
: and didn't want them to go to waste. My D700 won't operate at full
: functionality with all my lenses, but it will operate to some degree with
: all of them, and this is good enough for me.

Sounds like a good decision. I'm from the Canon World, but I've never heard
anyone say anything bad about the D700 (except, of course, that its lenses are
too expensive, but you've already got some of them). May you live to wear out
the shutter!

Isn't it "bit the bullet"?

Bob
Old October 2nd 10, 04:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-10-02 04:48:53 -0700, Robert Coe said:

[...]

Try this for an explanation for Bill's malapropism. ;-)

It all depends on whether Bill was anticipating some pain with the
purchase. If so, He could "bite the bullet" thereby applying a
psychological analgesic.
If on the other hand he was anticipating a fresh season of "shooting"
with his mind's eye as his weapon, the D700 could be considered the
figurative "bullet" he needed to buy to make that shooting possible.

Buy that? ;-)

Anyway, there is no reason he shouldn't enjoy his new toy. New or used,
bought or bit, it is still a very good FF DSLR, and not a bad choice.
It is a move I had considered for getting an affordable FF. I cannot
justify buying a D3s, a refurbished D700, yes. However I have a feeling
he might exhibit a degree of frustration with some of his old Nikkor
lenses, as it appears not all of the ones he has for his F5 are going
to perform within the parameters he remembers.

Savageduck

Old October 2nd 10, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-10-01 20:14:27 -0700, "Bill Graham" said:

Well, I finally "bought the bullet" and purchased a D700 reconditioned
from Nikon. It was recommended to me by Jason Kirby at
whichdslrtobuy.com It has a full frame sensor and will operate much
like my F5 and use the same lens set. This is important to me, since I
spent years accumulating my Nikkors and didn't want them to go to
waste. My D 700 won't operate at full functionality with all my lenses,
but it will operate to some degree with all of them, and this is good
enough for me.

BTW: What was the asking price for the reconditioned D700?

Savageduck

Old October 2nd 10, 07:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete[_8_]

On 2010-10-02 04:48:53 -0700, Robert Coe said:

[...]

Totally agreed.

To the OP Bill: I've learnt a thing or two about the D700 so please
feel free to ask questions; pre-AI lens issues will have to be answered
by someone else.

--
Pete

Old October 2nd 10, 08:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-10-02 04:48:53 -0700, Robert Coe said:

[...]

The photo groups always seem to be a good place to air this observation;

"The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature,
but plunges him more deeply into them."
Antoine De Saint-Exupéry

....and he was talking about aircraft and flying in the 1920's & 30's.

Savageduck

Old October 2nd 10, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete[_8_]

On 2010-10-02 04:48:53 -0700, Robert Coe said:

[...]

Man and machine in perfect harmony is idillic. It neither judges the
man nor the machine, it simply drives those that have the desire to
create. That could undoubtedly be worded better by someone else! Wish I
could create a poem on-demand...

--
Pete

Old October 2nd 10, 11:50 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

: Nikon. It was recommended to me by Jason Kirby at whichdslrtobuy.com
It has
[...]

Yes, I could have bought other, cheaper Nikons, but I was waiting until I
could buy a full frame (35 x 24 mm) camera. Unfortunately, Nikon never (to
date) came out with one within my price range. The d700 is a bit expensive,
but it does have a full frame sensor, so I scrimped and saved, and finally
decided to buy it. My lenses should perform much as they do on my F5 (which
I intend to keep.)

Old October 2nd 10, 11:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

from Nikon. It was recommended to me by Jason Kirby at whichdslrtobuy.com
It has a full frame sensor and will operate much like my F5 and use the
same lens set. This is important to me, since I spent years accumulating
my Nikkors and didn't want them to go to waste. My D 700 won't operate at
full functionality with all my lenses, but it will operate to some degree
with all of them, and this is good enough for me.

BTW: What was the asking price for the reconditioned D700?

Savageduck

About $2000. I also bought a fancy battery pack, which set me back another
$350......My total outlay will be about what I paid for my F5 10 years
ago....

High-speed photographs by Lex Augusteijn capture the moment a bullet hits objects Savageduck[_3_] Digital Photography 2 August 21st 10 02:56 AM
I bought one. Rob Digital Photography 1 September 10th 06 10:45 AM
Bought more NTO brandy smith Digital Photography 8 August 27th 06 08:08 PM
Magic Bullet Gregory Blank Large Format Photography Equipment 18 December 11th 05 02:31 PM
Just bought my new Leica R9 Barney 35mm Photo Equipment 15 June 30th 04 07:40 PM