Besides me, how many folks in this NG are still using 35mm film?

Old October 1st 10, 10:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Default Besides me, how many folks in this NG are still using 35mm film?

On 10-09-30 15:36 , dickr2 wrote:
Just curious.
When I get the film developed I'll get prints, negatives and the
photos on a CD. I've loaded photos from my digital camera onto my
PC and copied those files onto a CD for backup ... and maybe,
someday, I'll get some of them printed.

0 rolls of 35mm.
8 rolls of 120 (negative and slide).

I would note that the quality of photos on CD is nowhere as good as on a
descent home film scanner (or even the better Epson flatbed film scanners).

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
Old October 1st 10, 11:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete[_8_]

On 2010-10-01 15:48:28 +0100, Michael Benveniste said:

"dickr2" wrote:

Still stuck on 35mm

I use 35mm film occasionally, and weather and UPS permitting will
do so this weekend to test drive a 24-120mm f/4 Nikkor.

Good luck and let us know how it went. You may end up liking that lens.

--
Pete

Sort of tangential, but I recently picked up an old Pentax M 40/2.8.
On film it was just average. But on digital it performs very nicely.
Same with an old Tokina SD 35-200. It seems that some lenses
do better with digital than with film. Why is anyone's guess, but
it probably has to do with the chromatic characteristics of the lens.

My old zoom wasn't much good on film; on digital it's become a useful
lens. My 85 mm is the opposite while other lenses work fine with both.

--
Pete

Old October 1st 10, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 10-10-01 17:28 , Alan Browne wrote:
On 10-09-30 15:36 , dickr2 wrote:
Just curious.
When I get the film developed I'll get prints, negatives and the
photos on a CD. I've loaded photos from my digital camera onto my
PC and copied those files onto a CD for backup ... and maybe,
someday, I'll get some of them printed.

0 rolls of 35mm.
8 rolls of 120 (negative and slide).

.... so far this year, I meant...

Old October 2nd 10, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

"pbromaghin" wrote in message
Alan Browne wrote:

I would note that the quality of photos on CD is nowhere as good as on a
descent home film scanner (or even the better Epson flatbed film
scanners).

Ditto to that. My Epson 4490 will scan to an optical resolution of
12,000 (whatever somethings per inch). It gets slow at that res, and
the files cumbersome, but the detail is fabulous. One can zoom in on
a picture from Ilford ISO 50 until a shadow spot looks like a drop of
black paint on a pane of glass - very near 3-D in appearance.

My CanoScan 8600f flatbed has a "bug"......Not an electrical problem, but a
real bug....A little six legged critter about a quarter inch long.....I
first noticed it when scanning music for my band practice......I thought it
was a fermata, but it appeared in the wrong places for a fermata......I
can't figure out how it got in there, because I can't figure out how to
remove it.
But there should be a way to get under the glass to clean it off if nothing
else.....

Old October 2nd 10, 10:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

dickr2 wrote:

pbromaghin wrote:

snip

Everybody tells me to go digital, but when did they ever tell the guy
driving a '57 chevy that he should get an Accord?

Oh the memories. 1957 Chev with a 283ci / 283hp fuel injection engine.
If a person had one of these cars in pristine condition, it would be
worth 5 Accords.

A few years ago drove a 56 T Bird to its new home 800 Miles away.
Pretty to look at, fun to drive to a car rally but when the realities
of a road trip start to sink in car design has come a long ways
in a half century. Noisy, 10 miles to the gallon, unstable at
highway speeds and a small gas tank.

w..
Old October 3rd 10, 12:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Rol_Lei Nut

On 9/30/2010 21:36, dickr2 wrote:
Just curious.
When I get the film developed I'll get prints, negatives and the
photos on a CD. I've loaded photos from my digital camera onto my
PC and copied those files onto a CD for backup ... and maybe,
someday, I'll get some of them printed.

I use 35mm a lot.
Develop my own B&W, scan everything and print (or have printed if
poster-sized) what I want.

Certainly not "stuck" with 35mm (and 6x7), just enjoying it... ;-)

Old October 4th 10, 03:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
rwalker

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 13:26:12 +0200, Rol_Lei Nut
wrote:

Certainly not "stuck" with 35mm (and 6x7), just enjoying it... ;-)

Yep. I also like to slit film and reload 110 cassettes to use my
Pentax Auto 110 now and then. Mostly digital, but there's a certain
look you get from film that I like.
Old October 6th 10, 03:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

wrote:
Certainly not "stuck" with 35mm (and 6x7), just enjoying it... ;-)

Yep. I also like to slit film and reload 110 cassettes to use my
Pentax Auto 110 now and then. Mostly digital, but there's a certain
look you get from film that I like.

I always wondered how APX25 or APX100 would do in the Pentax Auto 110.

Holy Agfa! I thought I was pretty extreme, but you two are dedicated film
users! Well done!
Old October 9th 10, 05:28 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Cheesehead wrote,on my timestamp of 6/10/2010 11:30 PM:

I really miss APX100. It was my all-time 4x5 favorite film. Awesome
stuff.

Hmmmm, I'd give Fuji Acros 100 and even Neopan 400 a try, if I were you. In
Rodinal 1:100, low-ag, quite frankly, as good as. Same with DD-X as the
developer.
But I do scan - I don't optically print - so things might be different for you
if you use an enlarger.
Old October 9th 10, 09:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
dickr2

Cheesehead wrote:
On Oct 9, 2:46 pm, Annika1980 wrote:

Film is like Jesus. It's been dead for years, but some folks still
worship it.

and I still use a turntable, too.
A little Herb Alpert or Sergio Mendes/Brazil 66 and I'm a happy man.

There are some things I can do in the optical darkroom that digital
cannot (or not as well).
(eg. Split printing)

A turntable - YES!. I have one also, and every record I've ever purchased
on 33 and 45 - probably over 500 albums and records over the last 50 years.
Herb Alpert, 4 albums, and just about every other kind of music - Jazz,
folk, country, rock, and many other albums that aren't available on CD.
When I'm carried out feet first, I hope my record collection is given to
someone who loves music, and not thrown into a dumpster.

BTW: I still have 8mm home movies that my father took in the 1940s and a working
Revere projector along with prints and negatives dating from the 20s-30s.

JMHO
Dick