wide angle lens that will fit onto Canon Rebel EOS

Old October 25th 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
readache

Default My cammy is not digital but filmic(was wide angle lens that will fit onto Canon Rebel EOS)

On Oct 23, 6:02 pm, Scott W wrote:
readache wrote:
On Oct 18, 8:32 am, Scott W wrote:
readache wrote:
hi, i have a canon rebel eos, and i need a wideangle lens.
maybe anything from 20 mm to 28 mm.
anyway, will a canon FD lens fit onto an EOS camera?
if not, what kinda lens will fit onto an EOS?
Thank you.
Everyone seems to be assuming that your Rebel is digital, which it might
or might not be since you did not tell us. You might want to tell us
because some of the lenses people are suggesting would not fit a film
Rebel, like the EF-S lenses.

Me I kind of think you have a film Rebel, since you are viewing at 28mm
as wide angle, which it would be somewhat wide angle on a film SLR but
not at all a wide angle lens on a Digital Rebel.

Scott

it is NOT digital.
so, what kind of wideangle lens would fit on a canon rebel eos?

See, in this day and age everyone assumes you mean digital if you only
say and eos rebel, even though they made rebels for years before they
made a digital one.

For a film Rebel the 28mm lens should do well, I have the 28mm f/2.8,
not the sharpest lens but it does well wide open.

You won't be able to use any of the EF-S lenses, this are meant for the
digital SLRs.

Any of these lenses should work
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/8454/Digital_Film_SLR_Interchangea...

I have the 28 to 200mm zoom, not a wide angle lens on my digital but on
a 35mm SLR it would be pretty good. There are also a lot of zooms that
start at 24mm, which of course would be a bit wider yet.

And of course you can go even wider angle, there are a lot of lenses in
the 14-20mm range.

Note that the people who assumed you had a digital will be looking at
lenses with a lot shorter FL, a 28mm lens on my Rebel XT would have the
same field of view as a 45mm lens are your Rebel, so not a wide angle
lens for me but for you it would be.

Scott

so, if i'm doing a search on ebay for a wideangle lens for a canon eos
rebel non-digital, what words should i use?

thanks.

Old October 25th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Willarojo

readache vehemently accused in
ups.com:

On Oct 23, 6:02 pm, Scott W wrote:
readache wrote:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/8...ilm_SLR_Interc
hangea...

I have the 28 to 200mm zoom, not a wide angle lens on my
digital but on a 35mm SLR it would be pretty good. There are
also a lot of zooms that start at 24mm, which of course would
be a bit wider yet.

And of course you can go even wider angle, there are a lot of
lenses in the 14-20mm range.

Note that the people who assumed you had a digital will be
looking at lenses with a lot shorter FL, a 28mm lens on my
Rebel XT would have the same field of view as a 45mm lens are
your Rebel, so not a wide angle lens for me but for you it
would be.

Scott

so, if i'm doing a search on ebay for a wideangle lens for a
canon eos rebel non-digital, what words should i use?

thanks.

You should find a lot of good deals on film-only EOS lenses. If
you don't care about brand name, but want quality, try Vivitar.
Canon are my faves, but cost more. Sigma can be good, emphasis on
"can": I've got a couple gems, have had a couple duds, which equals
about 50% duds.

Keywords to use:
canon or sigma or vivitar

24mm or 28mm or 19mm

Those 3 should cover some good primes and zooms. Try with and
without the "mm" when searching on EBay.

I usually exclude a couple keywords: "wide angle", "kit", "new",
"close up". Most of the listings that have these words in the
titles are adapters for real lenses (or for P&Ss).

I have a Vivitar 19-35 that I like: the 19mm is really amazing
compared to a 24mm or 28mm focal length. Also have a Sigma 24mm
prime, which only works on film.

That's an important thing to remember: when buying older lenses
used, Sigma will likely *not* move up to your DSLR, if/when you go
that route. Canon will, and so far my Vivitar has too.

Willa
--
http://www.pbase.com/willarojo

“I came into this world, not chiefly to make this a good place to
live in, but to live in it, be it good or bad.”
Thoreau, Civil Disobedience

“We are in great haste to construct a magnetic telegraph line from
Maine to Texas; but Maine and Texas, it may be, have nothing
important to communicate.”
Thoreau, Walden