Buying and developing 120 film in New York

Old July 10th 08, 10:51 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Toni Nikkanen

Default Buying and developing 120 film in New York

I'm coming to the US next month. I'll be carrying both a roll film and
35mm camera with me and would naturally like to expose as little
undeveloped film to x-ray machines as possible.

I'm going to come to New York first, then I'll be in Ithaca and
Niagara Falls, and then I'm going to be in New York again. So as I
come, I thought I'd only take a minimum of film with me and buy the
rest from New York, given the cheap dollar and great selection
available. I'm probably going to visit bhphotovideo anyway and seems
like I can be happy with their film selection, so I think I've got
that covered.

On my way back, I'd like to drop all my exposed color negatives and
slides (135 and 120 format) somewhere where they can be developed
quickly enough to be picked up the same day. I want my film to be cut
to length I specify (6 frames for 35mm, 2, 3 or 4 for roll film
depending on format) and placed in clear plastic sleeves; and to be
developed and handled with care. No dust, fingerprints or
anything. I'm sure such places exist in New York. I'll be living
in a hotel in Midtown near the UN headquarters, so somewhere in that
area would be ideal. Any suggestions?

For B&W film... I'll process it myself back at home.

Do they make you go through x-ray even in domestic flights? I'm going
to fly from Niagara Falls back to New York. I'm going the other direction
by bus.

Old July 11th 08, 06:52 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
rwalker

"Toni Nikkanen" wrote in message

snip

Do they make you go through x-ray even in domestic flights?

Don't know about the rest of your questions, but they do make you go through
x-ray on domestic flights.

Old July 12th 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

Toni Nikkanen wrote:

For B&W film... I'll process it myself back at home.

They are equally subject to fogging per ISO; but I wouldn't worry about
it. I've had 120 film x-rayed 4 - 6 times and there is no discernable
loss of contrast.

Do they make you go through x-ray even in domestic flights?

Yes.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old July 16th 08, 10:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Neil Gould

"rwalker" wrote in message
ng.com...

"Toni Nikkanen" wrote in message

snip

Do they make you go through x-ray even in domestic flights?

Don't know about the rest of your questions, but they do make you go

through
x-ray on domestic flights.

However, they have always been willing to hand-inspect my film if kept in a
separate container (I use a large clear plastic baggie). Since they swab
each roll, I remove them from the boxes ahead of time. No hassle for a
couple dozen rolls or so... they're done by the time my shoes are tied. ;-)

Neil