Nikon D100, D2X or Kodak DCS Pro 14N ???

Old May 16th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.technique.nature,rec.photo.technique.people

Default Nikon D100, D2X or Kodak DCS Pro 14N ???

In addition to looking at an Kodak DCS Pro 14N I am looking at possibly
getting the D100 or D2x. While I understand there major differences
perhaps I just need some more help in macking this decision. I'm
photographing nature scenes, natural beauty, mountains, flowers,
animals and my kids. Which will get me the best results? I'd guess
the 14N but I only assume that due to the megapixels of the camera.
Any thougts, anybody???

Thanks,

Tim

Old May 16th 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.technique.nature,rec.photo.technique.people

30magic writes ...

In addition to looking at an Kodak DCS Pro 14N I am looking at
possibly getting the D100 or D2x ... Which will get me the best
results? I'd guess the 14N but I only assume that due to the
megapixels of the camera. Any thougts, anybody???

I'm a Canon user but I have a few friends who are Nikon users ... this
is a no-brainer, the D2x is an exceptional camera and of the three you
mention it's by far the best, though you may not need a $5,000 camera
for what you are going to shoot ... the newer D200 is also very good at
a lower price, certainly better than the D100 or 14N.

The D100 is an older outdated 6 Mpixel model which was adequate in its
time but that time has passed. The 14N should have been a best seller
(full frame, 14 Mpixels when 6 Mpixels was par for the course) but it
had some serious problems with noise, moire and extremely long turn-on
and boot times ... I think the first ones took up to 2 minutes to turn
on, for example (reduced with firmware upgrades but still way too
long). Because of the noise it was basically unusable over say ISO
400, some would say over 200. It was a dog at birth and died a dog's
death a couple years later because of poor sales ... the only people
who got much use from it were studio photographers who didn't care
about the slow turn-on and who could use it at slow ISO settings, but
they had to be careful with the moire.

Get the D2x or D200 or D70 or D50 ...

Bill

Old May 16th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.technique.nature,rec.photo.technique.people

"Bill Hilton" wrote in message oups.com...
30magic writes ...

[...]

A further note:
If the OP has any non-AF lenses he wishes to use, the D200
and D2x can meter with these, the D70 and D50 cannot...
--
David Ruether

Old May 16th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.technique.nature,rec.photo.technique.people

"30magic" wrote:
In addition to looking at an Kodak DCS Pro 14N I am looking at possibly
getting the D100 or D2x. While I understand there major differences
perhaps I just need some more help in macking this decision. I'm
photographing nature scenes, natural beauty, mountains, flowers,
animals and my kids. Which will get me the best results? I'd guess
the 14N but I only assume that due to the megapixels of the camera.
Any thougts, anybody???

The D100 is not in the same league as the other two.

I have not used a DCS Pro 14N, and am going on what is available
on the Internet in reviews and descriptions.

Note that the difference in maximum megapixels between the DCS
Pro 14N and a D2x is minimal. There are *many* other
significant differences that you'll want to judge for
yourself...

For example the Kodak's 13.7 mp (4536 x 3024) high resolution
format is available *only* at ISO 80, while ISO 400 and 800 can
provide at most 6 mp (3024 x 2016) resolution.

The D2x delivers full 4288 x 2848 resolution, with 12.4 mp, at
ISO speeds up to 3200, though certainly the 1600 and 3200 are
degraded in terms of noise performance, compared to ISO 800.
However, the top continuous frame speed of 8 fps is only
available when the "high speed crop" 6 mp, 3,216 x 2,136, option
is enabled. Otherwise maximum continuous speed is 5 frame per
second for the Nikon. (Still 3 times the 1.7 fps of the Kodak.)

The Kodak has a 36mm x 24mm (35mm film "full frame") sensor.
The Nikon has a 23.7 mm x 15.6 mm (a 1.5 "crop factor") sensor.
If you tend to love wide angle lenses, the Kodak has a
significant advantage. If you tend to love long telephoto
lenses, the advantage is with the Nikon. If you typically use
lenses between 28mm and 300mm on a 35mm camera there is little
real difference.

The Kodak camera uses Firewire and the Nikon uses USB for wired
connectivity.

The Nikon camera weighs 2.5 lbs, the Kodak is 2.0 lbs.

The Kodak apparently is rated at 400 images per battery charge.
The Nikon specifications list 2600 images under one set of
conditions and 800 under another. It is difficult if not
impossible to directly compare those figures, but it suggests
the Kodak will eat batteries faster.

I've no doubt only scratched the surface. Little things like
how the viewing screens are laid out (and the range of diopters
built into the viewer), how many focusing points, how auto
exposure lock works, through the lens flash exposure control,
automatic bracketing of exposures, mirror lockup, remote shutter
release cables, and provision for vertical shooting (exposure
lock and shutter release buttons in the right places) are all
more or less important to different users, and preferences are
very user specific.

You'll need your own priority list...

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old May 16th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.technique.nature,rec.photo.technique.people

Floyd L. Davidson writes ...

For example the Kodak's 13.7 mp (4536 x 3024) high resolution
format is available *only* at ISO 80, while ISO 400 and 800 can
provide at most 6 mp (3024 x 2016) resolution.

I haven't used this camera but I think this is wrong ... for example
this review site seems to say you have the full resolution at ISO 80,
100, 125, 160, 200, 250, 320 and 400 ... only at 500, 640 and 800 are
you limited to 6 Mpix ...
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/kodakdcs14n/page8.asp

Bill

Old May 16th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.technique.nature,rec.photo.technique.people

"Bill Hilton" wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson writes ...

For example the Kodak's 13.7 mp (4536 x 3024) high resolution
format is available *only* at ISO 80, while ISO 400 and 800 can
provide at most 6 mp (3024 x 2016) resolution.

I haven't used this camera but I think this is wrong ... for example
this review site seems to say you have the full resolution at ISO 80,
100, 125, 160, 200, 250, 320 and 400 ... only at 500, 640 and 800 are
you limited to 6 Mpix ...
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/kodakdcs14n/page8.asp

I got that from one source, but didn't notice that others contradicted
it. However, even then there seems to be confusion.

ISO 80-800 at all other image sizes."

"ISO of 100, 200, 400 (ISO 800 at reduced resolution)"

"ISO Speeds : 400 800 80"

Hence, I'm not sure exactly what the actual specifications are,
but it appears agreed that ISO 800 is the highest speed, and
that it is at 6 mp resolution. Other values may or may not be
available, and may or may not work at 13.7 mp, but it does
appear that ISO 80 and 200 do for sure.

It is also _very_ likely that dpreview.com has it exactly correct,
and the others are simply in error.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old May 16th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.technique.nature,rec.photo.technique.people

"30magic" wrote in message
oups.com...
In addition to looking at an Kodak DCS Pro 14N I am looking at possibly
getting the D100 or D2x. While I understand there major differences
perhaps I just need some more help in macking this decision. I'm
photographing nature scenes, natural beauty, mountains, flowers,
animals and my kids. Which will get me the best results? I'd guess
the 14N but I only assume that due to the megapixels of the camera.
Any thougts, anybody???

D100 is no longer in production, so it's not an option. It's not anywhere
close to being in the same league as the other two either.

You should look very seriously at the D200 though. It's a magnificent camera
that would make an excellent backup to a D2x or DSC/14N (in fact many people
use it as such).

All cameras will do what you want from them, so it becomes a question of
value for money. In that the cheapest of them (D200) wins out unless you
place much importance in the bragging rights that having 2 $5000 cameras
gets you.

Old May 17th 06, 11:31 AM posted to rec.photo.marketplace,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.technique.nature,rec.photo.technique.people

In article .com,
"30magic" wrote:

In addition to looking at an Kodak DCS Pro 14N I am looking at possibly
getting the D100 or D2x. While I understand there major differences
perhaps I just need some more help in macking this decision. I'm
photographing nature scenes, natural beauty, mountains, flowers,
animals and my kids. Which will get me the best results? I'd guess
the 14N but I only assume that due to the megapixels of the camera.
Any thougts, anybody???

Thanks,

Tim

Hi Tim
I have a DCS_14c in addition to EOS D20 and EOS 1DSmk2
The Kodak compares very well to the EOS 1DSmk2 in most things, but it
has distinct advantages for landscape and slow shutter work. as it is
possible to go down to very slow iso speeds when using long exposures.
The colour reproduction and image quality is superb, IMHO far better
than the 2DX or even the EOS 1DS mk2. and the Kodak software is superb
for processing raw images.
On the downside
It is a slow camera to use, think of using a tripod mounted medium
format camera rather than a hand held 35mm slr. It takes a while to
write down the images to the card, and the buffer is very limited.
It is also very plasticy feeling, and feels light in the hand.
battery life is limited to about 500 images, but it can be used tethered
to a PSU (and a PC or Mac) in the studio.
I can confirm that full resolution is available at ISO speeds of up to
500, but grain is a lot more than on the 1DS mk2 at anything above iso
200, also grain is worse on dark grey shadow areas, even at iso 100 and
below.

Considering how little you can pick one of these up for it's one hell of
a bang for your buck, and of course the full frame sensor means that
that wide angle lens really works, just like it used to on the 35mm film
camera...!!!!!
Andy.
Old August 18th 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.technique.nature,rec.photo.technique.people
David Ruether

"30magic" wrote in message oups.com...
In addition to looking at an Kodak DCS Pro 14N I am looking at possibly
getting the D100 or D2x. While I understand there major differences
perhaps I just need some more help in macking this decision. I'm
photographing nature scenes, natural beauty, mountains, flowers,
animals and my kids. Which will get me the best results? I'd guess
the 14N but I only assume that due to the megapixels of the camera.
Any thougts, anybody???

Thanks,

Tim

Anyone interested in a Kodak DCS Pro14N body for $750-$800...?
--
David Ruether

http://www.ferrario.com/ruether