Polarizing Filters.

Old November 13th 05, 02:50 PM
Matalog

Default Polarizing Filters.

Has anyone seen a Polarizing filter that completly eliminated reflection
from glass or water?

Would a cheap filter be less efefctive at removing reflection?

Would hoya make a good filter?

Old November 13th 05, 03:03 PM
David J Taylor

Matalog wrote:
Has anyone seen a Polarizing filter that completly eliminated
reflection from glass or water?

Would a cheap filter be less efefctive at removing reflection?

Would hoya make a good filter?

Polarising filters will only completely remove reflections at the Brewster
angle.

I don't think cheap filters would work any less well, but they might
affect the quality of the image more. Hoya is a reasonable brand. Check
if you camera needs a circular-polarising or a linear-polarising filter -
the linear can affect certain auto-focus systems.

David

Old November 13th 05, 03:19 PM
Matalog

"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message k...
Matalog wrote:
Has anyone seen a Polarizing filter that completly eliminated
reflection from glass or water?

Would a cheap filter be less efefctive at removing reflection?

Would hoya make a good filter?

Polarising filters will only completely remove reflections at the Brewster
angle.

I don't think cheap filters would work any less well, but they might
affect the quality of the image more. Hoya is a reasonable brand. Check
if you camera needs a circular-polarising or a linear-polarising filter -
the linear can affect certain auto-focus systems.

David

I have a linear one and when it's at the angle, it doesn't completly
eliminate reflection from glass ( my window), but it does do a good job with
water reflections.

Old November 13th 05, 07:05 PM
kctan

Try around 20 to30 degree to the surface.

"Matalog" wrote in message

"David J Taylor"
wrote
in
message k...

Old November 13th 05, 07:30 PM
Matalog

"kctan" wrote in message
Try around 20 to30 degree to the surface.

I have rotated it the whole way - it just doesn't seem to completly
eliminate glass reflections.

"Matalog" wrote in message

"David J Taylor"
wrote
in
message k...

Old November 13th 05, 08:15 PM
David J Taylor

Matalog wrote:
"kctan" wrote in message
Try around 20 to30 degree to the surface.

I have rotated it the whole way - it just doesn't seem to completly
eliminate glass reflections.

[]

Please see:

http://www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/photos/filters_uv_pol/

David

Old November 13th 05, 09:58 PM
Matalog

Got it, thanks.

"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message k...

Old November 13th 05, 09:59 PM
Matalog

Good man, 56 degrees.

"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message news

Old November 14th 05, 05:30 AM
Randy Berbaum

Matalog wrote:

: "kctan" wrote in message
: ...
: Try around 20 to30 degree to the surface.

: I have rotated it the whole way - it just doesn't seem to completly
: eliminate glass reflections.

What he was referring to was the angle of the camera to the plane of the
glass, not the angle of the polarizer. Both the angle of the pola and the
angle of the camera will effect the results. So if turning the pola does
not help enough, rey changing the angle of the camera a bit and then play
withe the pola again (repete as required). Under most conditions a pola
will not be able to totally remove all reflections, but it can reduce it
enough to allow other ideas to make them less noticeable. For example, bu
moving closer to the glass you can either shield the lens from light
behind you, or cause the reflection to blur out. Also simply darkening the
room in relation to the lighting outside the window can make a big
difference. Lastly, no matter what you do, some lights will never be
removable, such as a pola will never be able to completely remove a flash
when aimed square at the window.

Not knowing what in particular you are trying to do I can't give more
specific advice, but here are a few things I have done. Shooting through a
window into an aquarium, I have held the lens hard aginst the glass and
then the barrel of the lens itself blocks any reflections (and even a
flash will work to a point). If I needed to aim at an angle to the plane
of glass, I held one edge of the lens against the glass and use a dark
object (non reflective is best) or even my hand to block the room
reflections from getting to the glass in the area that the camera is
viewing. Most of the time this works without a pola, but if reflections
are still present a pola can help reduce them even more.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Old November 14th 05, 09:38 AM
imbsysop

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 05:30:04 +0000 (UTC), Randy Berbaum
wrote:

Matalog wrote:

: "kctan" wrote in message
: ...
: Try around 20 to30 degree to the surface.

: I have rotated it the whole way - it just doesn't seem to completly
: eliminate glass reflections.

What he was referring to was the angle of the camera to the plane of the
glass, not the angle of the polarizer. Both the angle of the pola and the
angle of the camera will effect the results. ...

but suggesting 20-30 degr to the surface may be more than "shorttrack
through the bends"
for AFAIK the angle of the incoming light will define the angle of
reflected light and the relative position of the photogarphic device +
the angle of pol rotation will define how much reflection will be
blocked .. (and this on a "per sunray" basic .. :-) ergo, in general,
one will never be able to lock out everything)