D2Hs v. D2X

Old October 23rd 05, 03:53 PM

Default D2Hs v. D2X

$1300 separates them...so does roughly 8mp all things being equal. The
D2Hs seems to be able to shoot 50 consecutive shots at 8fp, due in part
I assume to the LBCAST sensor technology while the D2x doesn't say how
long it can keep up the race...though it does drop down to 6.8m "High
Speed Cropped Image mode" to do so. Which negates the megapixel gap in
higher speed shooting. So the D2Hs is a faster, lower MP camera with a
sensor type I won't even pretend to understand, while the D2X is a
slower, sometimes much higher MP, CMOS sensor camera.

Question: What the hell is up with Nikon marketing?!?!?

Old October 23rd 05, 07:36 PM
JR

In article .com,
wrote:

$1300 separates them...so does roughly 8mp all things being equal. The
D2Hs seems to be able to shoot 50 consecutive shots at 8fp, due in part
I assume to the LBCAST sensor technology while the D2x doesn't say how
long it can keep up the race...though it does drop down to 6.8m "High
Speed Cropped Image mode" to do so. Which negates the megapixel gap in
higher speed shooting. So the D2Hs is a faster, lower MP camera with a
sensor type I won't even pretend to understand, while the D2X is a
slower, sometimes much higher MP, CMOS sensor camera.

Question: What the hell is up with Nikon marketing?!?!?

Its simple if you have used these cameras.....The D2Hs is made for
photojournalists and sports photogs that need the high speed count. The
D2X is the ultimate camera in Nikons lineup that gives you the ultimate
versatility, but you pay a premium for that versatility. You have a
12.4 mp camera for the ultimate in detail, color, sharpness....excellent
for studio work. Then if you ever intend on shooting sports, you can
put it in HSC mode and you have a high speed 6.8mp camera that also
gives you a 2x crop on your lenses. The 70-200/2.8 becomes a
140-400/2.8. They also have the 200/2 that becomes the 400/2, and the
200-400/4 that becomes a 400-800/4. This can save the sports photog
THOUSANDS on long lenses and still have amazing quality. FYI, in the
High speed crop mode, I couldnt tell the difference in the images up to
11x14 which is the largest I need to print. The sharpness, color, and
detail were all simialr for 12.4mp mode and 6.8 mp mode. So you are not
giving up a ton of quality for getting the high speed. So you have a
pro high speed camera in the D2HS, and you have a pro high image quality
camera, that will also work as a pro high speed camera as well....2
option for the pro shooter....nice...

JR
Old October 23rd 05, 11:23 PM
GTO

I looked at both. For the price, they aren't worth it unless you work
professionally with Nikon gears and do not care to pay a couple of thousand
too much. In this case, get the D2X. I believe that Nikon will revamp their
roadmap considerably in the next couple of months. After Canon proofed all
makers and shakers of DSLR cameras that a reasonably priced FF sensor camera
is possible, Nikon needs to move. They either must show an LBCAST sensor
with 10++ MPixels offering great advantages over Canon's CMOS chip, or they
need to reconsider their stubborn attitude to force yet another format onto
its community. SONY always tries to do this (e.g. Video-8 and more recently
the memory sticks). But SONY is not market-driven such as Nikon. SONY is, at
least was, driven by invention. Anyway, I am saving my money for new Nikon
gears until I see a more coherent message from this company. I agree the
CMOS in the D2X vs. the LBCAST in the D2Hs is not a good sign. The D2X might
soon be rendered a dead-end once Nikon succeeded with their future LBCAST
technology.

Gregor

oups.com...

Old October 24th 05, 01:12 AM

GTO wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the input - I'm not in the mood to wade back thru the specs,
but is the LBCAST a DX/1.5 crop sensor as well??